Thank You :)

blaqueinque

Reaction score
Due to numerous misunderstandings and misinterpretations of several of my written posts, I have decided that it would best for me to learn more about the the deaf community and deaf culture in a face to face setting.

As per my introductory post, as a hearing person, I became a member to this website with the intent of learning more about the deaf community and deaf culture, not to deal with a forum bully and her group of sycophantic followers.

Despite, the strong opinions of others (Jillio, BecLak, Deaf Skeptic, Botts), I honestly feel that hearing people, should treat deaf people as equals in society. I don't view deafness as a handicap or as something that is broken and needs to be fix, I don't view those who are deaf as intellectually inferior to those who are hearing, and I don't treat deaf people differently because I don't view them as different.

To those who have been nothing by friendly, kind and welcoming to me, thank you for allowing me to join this wonderful website. Your experiences and advise have have given me great insight to deaf and HOH communities and for that I will always, always, always be greatful.

May the angels always watch and treat each and everyone of you right :)

Well, I hope this doesn't mean your'e leaving.....

Yes, it means she is leaving.

Too bad, since she appears to be a caring, intelligent individual.

Unfortunately she jumped the gun by thinking that we are "equals" to the hearing world, and has no idea what it is really like to be deaf in the hearing world.

No one can learn about our culture in such a short period of time.

Let her go and experience it. Face to face is better anyway.

Come back when you feel you are ready. We will still be here.

:ily:

Unfortunately she jumped the gun by thinking that we are "equals" to the hearing world, and has no idea what it is really like to be deaf in the hearing world.

:gpost: :gpost:

I do hope she can come back.

If she is not leaving, then I am glad that she stay here and still discuss or debate with us but learn about us going through experiences of being deaf or hard of hearing which we had and still have struggle with the hearing world.

So please come back, blaqueinque. :shock:

I too think she should stay. She can learn so much from each and everyone of us. There have been times when I wanted to give up on AD, but all in all, I am glad I did not. This place has been a valuable tool for me. I have learned so much and still do.

I too think she should stay. She can learn so much from each and everyone of us. There have been times when I wanted to give up on AD, but all in all, I am glad I did not. This place has been a valuable tool for me. I have learned so much and still do.

I think so too.

Yea, it takes time to learn about Deaf culture and values. It took me time even though I was born deaf myself! I would say about 5 years to really "get" it.

Hope you dont leave. :)

It is a bit of a wake-up call at first for newbies. Do stay. :)

Due to numerous misunderstandings and misinterpretations of several of my written posts, I have decided that it would best for me to learn more about the the deaf community and deaf culture in a face to face setting.

As per my introductory post, as a hearing person, I became a member to this website with the intent of learning more about the deaf community and deaf culture, not to deal with a forum bully and her group of sycophantic followers.

Despite, the strong opinions of others (Jillio, BecLak, Deaf Skeptic, Botts), I honestly feel that hearing people, should treat deaf people as equals in society. I don't view deafness as a handicap or as something that is broken and needs to be fix, I don't view those who are deaf as intellectually inferior to those who are hearing, and I don't treat deaf people differently because I don't view them as different.

To those who have been nothing by friendly, kind and welcoming to me, thank you for allowing me to join this wonderful website. Your experiences and advise have have given me great insight to deaf and HOH communities and for that I will always, always, always be greatful.

May the angels always watch and treat each and everyone of you right :)

I thought we were actually supposed to ignore these, "I am leaving AD" posts.

I don't know what astounds me most in this post, that she thinks I am a fawning syncophant of Jillio, or that she thinks that as a deaf person (in the second bolded sentence) I would think that deaf people shouldn't be treated as equals. :crazy:

NO idea I don't know what she leaving now No idea, learn forum, my opinion! that is why hard to how figure out!?

I don't know what astounds me most in this post, that she thinks I am a fawning syncophant of Jillio, or that she thinks that as a deaf person (in the second bolded sentence) I would think that deaf people shouldn't be treated as equals. :crazy:

All that in a world's record of what, 48 hours? :lol:

:lol: You're no sycophant of jillio.

Very well said. I will add a +1 to that. Face to face is really the best way to learn about any culture. I feel that she was sincere, but came into the forum assuming she knew a whole lot more about the deaf than she actually knew, and then became sensitive when she was corrected. Maybe face to face contact will overcome some of that.

Yea, it takes time to learn about Deaf culture and values. It took me time even though I was born deaf myself! I would say about 5 years to really "get" it.

Hope you dont leave. :)

Five years of heavily involvement, to say the least.

:laugh2:

Looks like she misunderstood more than one thing! My intent was to show her errors in her thinking so that she would have a better understanding of the deaf and the culture. Evidently, she misuderstood that, too.

But, in reality, I have to question how anyone who gets so offended by being corrected could have enough empathy or put themselves aside long enough to actually be taught about another culture. That type of person is usually too intent on telling others what they should believe.

:laugh2:

Looks like she misunderstood more than one thing! My intent was to show her errors in her thinking so that she would have a better understanding of the deaf and the culture. Evidently, she misuderstood that, too.

But, in reality, I have to question how anyone who gets so offended by being corrected could have enough empathy or put themselves aside long enough to actually be taught about another culture. That type of person is usually too intent on telling others what they should believe.

I agree with you Jillio. From my own experience in a cross-cultural setting, being an Australian living in Thailand, you have made a very valid point.

I agree with you Jillio. From my own experience in a cross-cultural setting, being an Australian living in Thailand, you have made a very valid point.

:ty: It has long been the assumption of sociologists and anthropologists that "observer / participant" is the best way to study culture and language. From my personal experience, as well...that is true.

:ty: It has long been the assumption of sociologists and anthropologists that "observer / participant" is the best way to study culture and language. From my personal experience, as well...that is true.

This reminds me of the time my hearing sister teased me about understanding the deaf. At no avail I told her that she has to be deaf in order to understand deaf culture, and she waved it off with the comment, "If you want to understand the culture of monkeys, do you ask a monkey or an anthropologist?" I was speechless, but it made me think. :lol:

Back