Terry Schiavo Avatars/signatures

MorriganTait

Reaction score
I have noticed a number of people with Avatars and/or signatures with pictures of Terry Schiavo.

I followed her story somewhat, and I have my opinions about it, but personally, it is not something I think about all that often. I am wondering - from those of you who have these signatures/avatars - what is is about her story that you find SO MOVING that you felt like having her memorialized in your signature?

Just curious. I am always interested in what motivates other people.

I was there along with ^Angel^ and my son, Jordan outside the Pinellas Park in Florida, hospice where Terri was receiving care, the day she died. There was a lot of people there, including police and camera crews. The hotel where we were staying at for our bbq show was not too far from Pinellas Park, ^Angel^ and I decide to pay a visit there, because we had been following her story and wanted to be there for her to pray for her. We did took pictures but I don't have a scanner I hope my twin sister can scanner some pictures here. The reason I have a signature of her in memorialized because she is someone that won't be forgotten. ;)

Thank you for sharing that story. I agree - I think we will never forget her.

One thing her story made us do is my husband and I each signed advance directives so that if either of us are in such a state as Terry was, the doctors and our families will know exactly what we would want.

We used a free form like the one here and had two friends witness it then put it in our safe and told our families where they are.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990201ap/617.html

I feel badly for all involved in that whole situation - but it is obvious she had a lot of people who loved her very much, and in that sense, I guess she was kind of lucky.

Thanks for the link, You're a lifesaver, I'll have my sister printed this up for me so I can have a copy to fill out and save. :hug:

MorriganTait said:
I have noticed a number of people with Avatars and/or signatures with pictures of Terry Schiavo.

I followed her story somewhat, and I have my opinions about it, but personally, it is not something I think about all that often. I am wondering - from those of you who have these signatures/avatars - what is is about her story that you find SO MOVING that you felt like having her memorialized in your signature?

Just curious. I am always interested in what motivates other people.
I have followed on her story very closely when her feeding tube was removed. It really had an impact on my heart to know that she was being starved and I did not support the way of what they did to let her die. I know there are some people who would look at me and say "but you never knew her personally so why are you feeling like this". Even though I have never knew her personally but I felt like I knew her while I was watching news about her.

ButterflyGirl said:
I have followed on her story very closely when her feeding tube was removed. It really had an impact on my heart to know that she was being starved and I did not support the way of what they did to let her die. I know there are some people who would look at me and say "but you never knew her personally so why are you feeling like this". Even though I have never knew her personally but I felt like I knew her while I was watching news about her.

:gpost: I feel the exactly the same way, There was so much growing tension, about her right to live or die and the devastating legal battle on death by starvation/dehydrationthat broke our hearts. :( Terri was murdered before our eyes, It broke my heart and nobody has a right to end anyone's life period.

I am glad you both shared with me. I found her story very sad, but it was not one of those things that affected me personally, so it is nice to hear the perspective of those who felt deeply affected by it.

Sometimes I hear something in the news that makes me feel like I need to take personal action. I write cards and letters, write to my congressman, senators, president. All kinds of things.

The story of Walter Arvinger was one of them:

http://www.oea.umaryland.edu/communications/voice/25/2005_01_voice.pdf

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20888-2004Nov29.html

I save the link in my fave, I'm out of ink on my printer right now....Thank you for that link girl ;)

Cheri, my scanner not working anymore, send the pictures to Peachy Lady, and she will scanner them for ya ;)

I'm with ButterflyGirl and Cheri on this, :whistle:

was she the girl with brain damage.. i don't know her story really well.

Yeah that was her. I didnt know her very well either and I dont think we need to keep talking about her since she's already dead, no offense.

I respect her death.

Steel X said:
I dont think we need to keep talking about her since she's already dead, no offense.

Ouch! :shock: Sounds like she isn't significant, that her life had no meaning or even that she did not exist at all. Just because she passed on, doesn't mean she is forgotten or stop being missed. There is nothing wrong with loving someone and remembering someone always. What about when people that goes to a person's grave, leave flowers. Are you going to say, The person is dead, no reason to continue going to this person's grave.

Try to be sensitive. If you don't want to listening to it, then don't read this thread. I sure don't want to hear your negative feedback's either.

:gpost:
I don't know much about Terri but it's rude to consider someone like something trashy !!!

Cheri said:
Ouch! :shock: Sounds like she isn't significant, that her life had no meaning or even that she did not exist at all. Just because she passed on, doesn't mean she is forgotten or stop being missed. There is nothing wrong with loving someone and remembering someone always. What about when people that goes to a person's grave, leave flowers. Are you going to say, The person is dead, no reason to continue going to this person's grave.

Try to be sensitive. If you don't want to listening to it, then don't read this thread. I sure don't want to hear your negative feedback's either.

Steel X said:
Yeah that was her. I didnt know her very well either and I dont think we need to keep talking about her since she's already dead, no offense.

I respect her death.

well i didn't know my moms friends son chris really well and he got killed at 17 yrs old 3 years ago . even though didn't know him really well its still really hard to deal with , and i still talk about it with my friends because i felt guilty that i didn't see him when i had the chance before he was killed. the last place want to visit someone you haven't seen in years is funeral home.

Cheri said:

okay you wanna know why I said that? because I know one of my grandmother's friends who went through that similar situation and I didnt know him that well but he wasn't famous or remembered or fought for his life as terri so personally, it just makes me feel pissed off that she seems to have the most attention than any other people who do have the same problem as she does but maybe they just chose her to be more famous cause she's another beauiful white woman who was kind of rich and an republican or whatever like that, and I dont see my granmother's friend seeking the same kind of help and having hundreds of people fighting for his life and all, etc...I just dont see anything like that and I guess she is famous because of the supereme court putting up an order against her will and let her die and that her ex-hubby wanted her to die and get the money and live a new life with his new wife and stuff, etc...it happes to everyone and I just dont like it when they talk about one person the most and I know it wasnt like she was the first to go through that kind of problem as my grandmother's friend did and I'm sorry if I sound harsh about her, but just remember that everyone else deserve help and attention too and to be remembered, also. It just makes me think that alot of people dont really feel sorry for anyone else like my grandmother's friend has went through also.

Steel,

I get your drift to be honest it has nothing to do with her being famous, or rich or whatever, She is well-known to the public, and what tear my heart the most is that those people that were involved in her life trying to end her life, deciding her fate to either live or die, which that gives nobody a right to decide anyone's fate but her own fate. What brought the American people's attention is that what happened to Terri could happen to you or me, or anyone else. Terri's death woke a lot of people up, because her story been told in public nationwide. I do feel for all those people who were in the same situation as Terri without doubt.

I even feel for babies, small children who been abused and end up in Terri's situation too, and having the court getting in the middle of ending a child's life because the court feels that the child has no chance to live, But damn the child did not deserved to be abuse and she has to die? That pissed me off, I don't like how people get involved with people's lives, We are control of our own lives, we decide if we were in that situation, we should be allowing to make that fate to live or die not the court, not the government not without a living will!

It's easy for people to say, Oh well that her husband, that's her mother, that's her father, they can decide her fate. Bullshit! It's the person who is suffering, the person who is in the hospital is the ONLY one that can make that choice, If that person did not have a living will, Then let God decide that person's fate. ;)

Cheri said:
Steel,

I get your drift to be honest it has nothing to do with her being famous, or rich or whatever, She is well-known to the public, and what tear my heart the most is that those people that were involved in her life trying to end her life, deciding her fate to either live or die, which that gives nobody a right to decide anyone's fate but her own fate. What brought the American people's attention is that what happened to Terri could happen to you or me, or anyone else. Terri's death woke a lot of people up, because her story been told in public nationwide. I do feel for all those people who were in the same situation as Terri without doubt.

I even feel for babies, small children who been abused and end up in Terri's situation too, and having the court getting in the middle of ending a child's life because the court feels that the child has no chance to live, But damn the child did not deserved to be abuse and she has to die? That pissed me off, I don't like how people get involved with people's lives, We are control of our own lives, we decide if we were in that situation, we should be allowing to make that fate to live or die not the court, not the government not without a living will!

It's easy for people to say, Oh well that her husband, that's her mother, that's her father, they can decide her fate. Bullshit! It's the person who is suffering, the person who is in the hospital is the ONLY one that can make that choice, If that person did not have a living will, Then let God decide that person's fate. ;)

:applause: Amen Amen Amen!!!!.... :applause:

I feel sad for Terri :( She deserve her peaceful after long years suffering.

I support Euthanasia, not starve to death.

Cheri said:
Steel,

Uh, no.. This didn't get to be known until AFTER Terri's parents made that biased video of her and disseminated it on the internet. This drama went on for YEARS before anybody even knew Terri's name. In my opinion, it should have stayed that way. We should have never heard the name "Terri Schiavo".

Steel X said:
okay you wanna know why I said that? because I know one of my grandmother's friends who went through that similar situation and I didnt know him that well but he wasn't famous or remembered or fought for his life as terri so personally, it just makes me feel pissed off that she seems to have the most attention than any other people who do have the same problem as she does but maybe they just chose her to be more famous cause she's another beauiful white woman who was kind of rich and an republican or whatever like that, and I dont see my granmother's friend seeking the same kind of help and having hundreds of people fighting for his life and all, etc...I just dont see anything like that and I guess she is famous because of the supereme court putting up an order against her will and let her die and that her ex-hubby wanted her to die and get the money and live a new life with his new wife and stuff, etc...it happes to everyone and I just dont like it when they talk about one person the most and I know it wasnt like she was the first to go through that kind of problem as my grandmother's friend did and I'm sorry if I sound harsh about her, but just remember that everyone else deserve help and attention too and to be remembered, also. It just makes me think that alot of people dont really feel sorry for anyone else like my grandmother's friend has went through also.

I feel for you, man. I do. Because, you're right. It seems very unfair for a single person to become well known for something that happens to other people every single day in this country. I support the right to die with dignity, but I can certainly agree with you that giving attention to one person over another is wrong. If we're going to memorialize Terri Schaivo, then, we should feel the same way about other people, too.

Back