Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooray!!!

After searching and searching for information on Deaf gathering and my local Deaf culture online, I think I have found something: Deaf Services Bureau. I just sent them an email expressing my desire, as an ASL student, to interact with the local Deaf community and if the bureau can help me out. Now the wait for the reply. Yes!
See, isn't that what everybody told you? You gotta take the initiative. Way to go!

Etoile, what does that mean under your member name- CI/CT + Gally Class of 11?

Etoile, what does that mean under your member name- CI/CT + Gally Class of 11?
CI/CT is my interpreting certification. They are from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, and I hold both Certificate of Interpretation (between English and ASL) and Certificate of Transliteration (between English and Manually Coded English). The CI and CT tests aren't available anymore, they've been replaced by the NIC, the National Interpreter Certification. They are still valid, as are even older certifications, they've just been replaced with a new test.

The Gally Class of 11 means that after 10 years in the rat race I am back in college! I dropped out the first time around, but in 2006 everything came together and I was able to quit my job and go back to school full-time (I interpret part-time, about 12 hrs a week) in August 2007. Although I am a sophomore, I have a lot of classes to take that are required for graduation...most of my previous college credit got transferred as electives. So I am probably going to graduate in 2011.

Good for you Etoile! May all go well with your goals...meeting each with success!

Boy I would love to learn more about how to get on the road to NIC.

• Is there a book(s) or website(s) that clearly explain what an ASL student (me) needs (requirements) before being tested for certification (NIC)?
  • What is the most typical avenue taken toward certified?
  • What bumps on the road may one encounter on the way to NIC?
  • What is meant by a CI being in good standing?
Thanks again for your words. :)

I also wanted ask, are there specialized books/booklets that are must-reads for Terps (novice or experieced)?

For example I own a book published by RIP titled Interpreting; An Introduction which I am planning to read ASAP.

It is very critical for me, at the starting gate, to lay a solid foundation. Becoming a quality CI later will hinder on such a (sturdy) foundation layed early, now. That's why I created this thread. All Terps who have responded have been very helpful as I build that foundation.

If anyone of you Terps who want contact my via e-mail (I do not know you can access it here on AD) you can PM me. :ty:

Is there a book(s) or website(s) that clearly explain what an ASL student (me) needs (requirements) before being tested for certification (NIC)?
One site you should check out is the RID's "Getting Started" page:
RID - Getting Started

An important thing to know, is that after June 2008 you will need a minimum of an Associate's degree to take the NIC. After 2012, you will need a minimum of a Bachelor's degree.
What is the most typical avenue taken toward certified?
Probably the most common avenue is going through an Interpreter Training Program (ITP). You can find these on the RID website by searching their database...see the link above for more info.
What bumps on the road may one encounter on the way to NIC?
Well...not everyone can achieve fluency. I know a woman who has diligently taken ASL and interpreting programs for years, but...well...nobody can understand her when she signs.

There's obviously the fact that you must be a working interpreter before you'll be ready. Graduating from an ITP doesn't not mean you are certified, it means you are ready to try the test. It doesn't mean you'll pass it.

I'm sure others can come up with some too!
What is meant by a CI being in good standing?
All nationally certified interpreters are required to do continuing education. You must earn 8 CEU's in a 4 year cycle. Half of it must be related to interpreting (professional studies), but the other half must be general studies. If you don't do these CEU's, you're not in good standing.

Being "in good standing" might also refer to not having any ethical complaints filed against you.

I also wanted ask, are there specialized books/booklets that are must-reads for Terps (novice or experieced)?

For example I own a book published by RIP titled Interpreting; An Introduction which I am planning to read ASAP.

It is very critical for me, at the starting gate, to lay a solid foundation. Becoming a quality CI later will hinder on such a (sturdy) foundation layed early, now. That's why I created this thread. All Terps who have responded have been very helpful as I build that foundation.

If anyone of you Terps who want contact my via e-mail (I do not know you can access it here on AD) you can PM me. :ty:
You won't be able to take the CI, that test is gone. You wil take the NIC. Just say "a quality interpreter." :)

The "Interpreting: An Introduction" book is almost 20 years old now, I think. Wasn't it published in 1990? I would also recommend picking up "So You Want to Be an Interpreter" - it is more recent, easy to read, and it's often used as a textbook in ITP's.

Highly informative and inportant information Etoile. Thank you greatly. Like the geek I am, I'm making some notes. :)

Do young (in knowledge/experience) Terps usually start off working for an agency?
Do agencies themselves (more or less) hire CI exclusively or does each one have it's own policy as to what is a qualified Interpreter...hiring both CIs and uncertified Terps?
Is salary (not a major issue with me but still an important one) determined more on experiece or certification?

I can clearly see now why it would take five (5) years plus to achieve fluency. My focus now, thanks to Etoile, is sharper. Although my attention is totally on my next step, I can look up and see my road better which is comforting yet daunting. I am now more aware so my decisions will be more direct and decisive. So now it is all about finding my local Deaf community and joining a local ITP- how to find one I do not know but I will. :)

Remember, don't say CI. That is just one certification in a list of many, many certifications. You can just say "certified" if you want to refer to a certification. You can read all about the different certifications here: RID - Generalist
Do young (in knowledge/experience) Terps usually start off working for an agency?
Do agencies themselves (more or less) hire CI exclusively or does each one have it's own policy as to what is a qualified Interpreter...hiring both CIs and uncertified Terps?
Is salary (not a major issue with me but still an important one) determined more on experiece or certification?
I feel like I'm answering all the questions, I'm gonna let somebody else jump in here! If nobody does I'll answer you :)

I just found and got in contact with (via e-mail) the director of Sign Language at my local city college. My hope is that she can help me find an ITP in Miami.

Now I am waiting for that person's to reply also. I have no nails left...I am biting only flesh. :)

One thing I will mention is that you will most likely need to be fluent in sign language before beginning an ITP. Some ITP's include ASL instruction, but not all.

Deaf Culture books ! and LOTS of them ... old ones , new ones, Deaf History Books, seriously that's a huge thing ... I know you're getting some - but that's probably the most important thing (over dictionaries even)

Some are "controversial" but you need to have a really strong grasp of all of that - understanding Deaf Cultural norms will be very important as you start interacting with the community.

One thing I'd strongly suggest here in the forms is that you start a thread asking us Deaf HH LD etc people what we appreciate in interpreters - what we wish they knew more about, what's important for us !

One thing I will mention is that you will most likely need to be fluent in sign language before beginning an ITP. Some ITP's include ASL instruction, but not all.

yea - ours here require a certain level of proficiency prior to starting ITP - they also require a Deaf Studies ( Culture, interaction, volunteering, etc) events

Got it. Once I get in contact with those mentioned above (via e-mail), I would expect that they will also set me in the right direction. :)

Even though I am happy to "participate" in a Deaf gathering and learning/using ASL, I still feel that it is way too early for me to do so because I only know a few phrases and a meager amount of sign words. But I would guess that such would not matter since the Deaf community is so much more than that...so much more. I won't be calm doing what I need to do but it is what must be done.

Even though I am happy to "participate" in a Deaf gathering and learning/using ASL, I still feel that it is way too early for me to do so because I only know a few phrases and a meager amount of sign words. But I would guess that such would not matter since the Deaf community is so much more than that...so much more. I won't be calm doing what I need to do but it is what must be done.
Don't be scared to go. Deaf people won't bite you! Don't treat it like you're assembling furniture...you don't have to do Step 3 before you do Step 5. Go and socialize with deaf people. It will be much more helpful than trying to learn in isolation. It sounds like you are trying to come up with reasons to not go, but there aren't any. You keep insisting that it's too early...but didn't you say you got up to ASL 3 in the past? Don't be afraid, go meet some deaf people!

I hear what you're saying and I will attend; there's no doubt about that Etoile. Going as high as an advance ASL 3 class has nothing to with anything, really. You see knowing as little as (I feel) I do is not the question: The question is do I know enough to fully join in the group.

Nonetheless I will go for it...I just hope I don't become the laughing-stock of the gathering.

But like I said, you won't be. Don't be so worried about it. Don't let it scare you so much! Just go. :)

I will say this: Every time a person, with no experience in the Spanish language, tried to speak it, I felt a sense of joy/honor and I always endeavored to help him/her find confidence in the language. I was more than happy to do so.

Practically all my friends growing up were/are Caucasian and I taught several the basics of Spanish. Being around me (association) and using Spanish frequently helped them learned quite well. A few (years later) handle Spanish better than I do today.

Isn’t that something!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back