Tennessee father makes 14-year-old son wear sign as punishment for using drugs

Well, that's YOUR opinion. I think the father did it a good job ! I support him and his idea.

I agreed, Every parent raise their child the way they see fit, not all disciplining works for every child. It’s important that they know there are consequences for their actions. ;)

Do you know how his father discover his son taking drugs? In his own words:

"He did not post on his myspace profile he was doing drugs. I found out his password and found out through undeleted emails."
Did the son deny it?

After some of you agreeing with this father even though it's a cruel punishment, you're going to somehow be apoligists and say its ok for fathers to break into their kid's account and snooop at deleted emails?
For a minor child, living at home? Absolutely it's OK. The parent is responsible for what happens to the kid and by the kid.

Yea, my poor kids suffer because I am a bad parent. :giggle:
They will if you put them out on the street where they walk around with a big billboard in front of their school. :giggle:

But the truth is you've never publicly humiliated your kids now, have you. ;)

(not directed to shel90)
It's always easier to judge or agree with someone else's disciplinary action when it doesn't involve your own kids.

They will if you put them out on the street where they walk around with a big billboard in front of their school. :giggle:

But the truth is you've never publicly humiliated your kids now, have you. ;)

(not directed to shel90)
It's always easier to judge or agree with someone else's disciplinary action when it doesn't involve your own kids.

:ty:

I know..that's why I am on the fence about it. I wont know until it actually happens to me. Would I do something like this or use another approach? Knowing myself, I probably would use another approach but never say never. Sometimes desperate actions are needed in a desperate situation. My cousin was a former meth addict and lived on the streets. Drugs are not funny business.

I probably would use another approach but never say never.
WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE KIDS!!!111 /The Simpsons

This kinda puts things into perspective:
"Hello all,
This is the father in the video. I notice some supportive and not so supportive comments about me. To each his own. I would like to add that Zachary's (my son) mother died of a drug overdose. She was hooked on Oxycontin for about 3 yrs before she killed herself with them.

I don't think anyone needs to be smoking marijuana, espeicaly a 14 yr old kid. If it was just marijuana, I would not have made him wear the sign."

Not sure if its really from the "father" but if its true, it does give everyone a little background story. Seems like the reason he's going over the edge with this is because his wife killed herself over oxycontin, and now he's trying to do something with his son.....

.....by making him do that. Wait a minute. That's still not right. Imagine the husband making the wife go out on the street. Oh wait, she's dead. Why do I feel like I'm not getting the whole story here?

WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE KIDS!!!111 /The Simpsons

This kinda puts things into perspective:
"Hello all,
This is the father in the video. I notice some supportive and not so supportive comments about me. To each his own. I would like to add that Zachary's (my son) mother died of a drug overdose. She was hooked on Oxycontin for about 3 yrs before she killed herself with them.

I don't think anyone needs to be smoking marijuana, espeicaly a 14 yr old kid. If it was just marijuana, I would not have made him wear the sign."

Not sure if its really from the "father" but if its true, it does give everyone a little background story. Seems like the reason he's going over the edge with this is because his wife killed herself over oxycontin, and now he's trying to do something with his son.....

.....by making him do that. Wait a minute. That's still not right. Imagine the husband making the wife go out on the street. Oh wait, she's dead. Why do I feel like I'm not getting the whole story here?

Might want to wait until you experience this as a parent... are you a father (kids living with you full time)? Then come back and tell us what course you would take. I remember seeing a parent punishing a kid, then I thought I would not do that... until I became a parent.... I did not know how to be a parent before I became one.

A good parent would search all options and pick the best one. We do not know if the father was rash or wise at that time of action.

He will show a lie to his father then abuse and sell the drugs again.

I think it will happen again, no doubt.

Once his name is on media, everyone knew him and even, his school all students will know him,too...sooo, he can't lie to his father again ! :)

Might want to wait until you experience this as a parent... are you a father (kids living with you full time)? Then come back and tell us what course you would take. I remember seeing a parent punishing a kid, then I thought I would not do that... until I became a parent.... I did not know how to be a parent before I became one.

A good parent would search all options and pick the best one. We do not know if the father was rash or wise at that time of action.

I myself am mother of 2 teenagers. I have been studying in psyschology as my hobby for 14 years since I had my first child and have my knowledge. I have experienced with a lot of children´s feeling and mind. I don´t support corpal punishment and public humilation. I support my teenagers and focus their feeling first because I WANT to help them and WANT to find out what wrong with them first.

All what I see the thread here that some of you forget children´s feeling and doesn´t bother to find out what´s wrong with him but support the father for punish him and beleive a boy deserve a punishment for wrong without get attention how a boy feeling. It look like that you doesn´t bother to support your children with problems and focus their feeling which is really sad. If the people who doesn´t bother to focus children´s feeling then is their ignorant and cold feeling.

Once his name is on media, everyone knew him and even, his school all students will know him,too...sooo, he can't lie to his father again ! :)

It make no difference either everyone knows him or not... but the problem is his self-esteem. It will lead him into bad path... and no loving relationship bond with his father...

I rather to have loving bond relationship with my children than humilate them to the public.

How do you know? Are you a mind reader?

Yes, I have experience with children for long years and know their mind and feeling, also their behavior as well. It´s important to focus to know their mind and feeling to find out what wrong with them and support them because they need the help instead of receive public humliation. It is double worst when he already have the problem. It ends to affect his self-esteem.

It make no difference either everyone knows him or not... but the problem is his self-esteem. It will lead him into bad path... and no loving relationship bond with his father...

I rather to have loving bond relationship with my children than humilate them to the public.

It has nothin' to do with his self-esteem. His father SHOWS his love to his son by protectin' him from hurtin' himself thru drugs. Oh, yes I can see his father has his own bond with his son -- his father shows his carin' for his son by bein' there. You can't put children above the parents. The parents are above the children and the children are under the parents. The parents who feed, clothin', nurturin' their children and all until their children reach the age of 18 to move out of the house on their own, if they have their own job to support themselves. But, the parents will alwaaaaays be there for them at any cost.

I believe in tough love when it comes to kids making stupid decisions that can lead them prison or death. Sometimes a good kick in the ass is what's needed.

I have a 3 y/o DD and say she is 15 or 16 and she is pulling that stunt - I for one would be making her spend a Saturday or two out at the main intersection of town wearing a similar sign for at least half a day. If she is bold enough to parade to her friends on myspace then she is damn well bold enough to parade it on the street corner. This will have a lasting effect on the son and he will understand his father's dissappointment when he matures.

On top of the sign deal - I would be making that kid do some community service for a long time and keeping that kid's hands busy with good old fashioned work. And as for internet access, it is coming unplugged for good for the kid. Modem stays in safe in my bedroom locked up when not in use by me. And if the kid has his own computer, the comp gets put out in the driveway and he will have to smash it to pieces.

I know this sounds way over board for some people, but where I live access to drugs is simply too easy for most kids. If you can drive that point home that they will be humiliated twice as much the next time, I bet there will be 100% recovery rate. christianity has nothing to do with it, it is simply showing your child the consequences of their actions and what is required to regain your trust.

I agree with Dixie. Doesn't matter if religion or non religion, some treating their kid(s) horribly. I have 2 daughters. Communication is the key. But yes, need the balance, but jumped to far ahead causing problems. Every kid is different and weaknesses is difference, plus depend how close relationship with the kids and sometimes even great homelife still have problems, reason? Mostly, peers. It isn't easy for them.

I believe in tough love when it comes to kids making stupid decisions that can lead them prison or death. Sometimes a good kick in the ass is what's needed.

I have a 3 y/o DD and say she is 15 or 16 and she is pulling that stunt - I for one would be making her spend a Saturday or two out at the main intersection of town wearing a similar sign for at least half a day. If she is bold enough to parade to her friends on myspace then she is damn well bold enough to parade it on the street corner. This will have a lasting effect on the son and he will understand his father's dissappointment when he matures.

On top of the sign deal - I would be making that kid do some community service for a long time and keeping that kid's hands busy with good old fashioned work. And as for internet access, it is coming unplugged for good for the kid. Modem stays in safe in my bedroom locked up when not in use by me. And if the kid has his own computer, the comp gets put out in the driveway and he will have to smash it to pieces.

I know this sounds way over board for some people, but where I live access to drugs is simply too easy for most kids. If you can drive that point home that they will be humiliated twice as much the next time, I bet there will be 100% recovery rate. christianity has nothing to do with it, it is simply showing your child the consequences of their actions and what is required to regain your trust.

:gpost:

Yes, I have experience with children for long years and know their mind and feeling, also their behavior as well. It´s important to focus to know their mind and feeling to find out what wrong with them and support them because they need the help instead of receive public humliation. It is double worst when he already have the problem. It ends to affect his self-esteem.
But do you know what THAT boy is thinking? No. It's impossible. You don't even know him. You are NOT a mind reader.

Most teenagers believe they are invincible, they think they will be young forever, they think they can outsmart their parents and never get caught. You have to set rules, boundaries, and limitations or the kid is going to grow up and find himself in a world of hurt.

I believe there are too many bleeding hearts out there that think they are helping by taking the kid to counseling and they still get to have their TV, internet and cell phones. Sometimes a little ego busting is what is really needed to bring the kid back to reality. Trust ain't free folks, trust should be earned. And all it takes one stupid decision to lose the trust that has taken years to build up.

Back