Tennessee father makes 14-year-old son wear sign as punishment for using drugs

Umm, I don't agree what his father is doing. Think about it for a moment. It should be in relationships involve, and by saying not trying to humiliate the boy? To me, it is horrible thing to do to anybody, no matter, kids or adults. Remember religious humiliate adulterer, Jesus pleased? Nope. True, not always works what his dad did. Many leading more rebellion out of anger and bitter.

*nodding agreement*

Dad's stupid, he is just making that boy feel stupid. It doesn't goes good. That boy will grew up and see the past, then hate his dad for that. His dad should send him to the drugs class or meetings instead. Speaking of my experience in the past with crack.

:gpost:

Public humiliation is not an appropriate punishment for a child.

It´s very poor parenting, which will cause rebellion and very low self-esteem.

OK, what is the best solution then? What if the parents
dont have the money for professional help for the child?
Maybe public humilition is not the best solution, then what?
Grounding the child? sometimes it dont work, cuz he will
try it again cuz peer thing is so strong, the kid will do it again,
just to be in the crowd or cuz it "feels" good.
What is your suggestion since you still have kids at home and
you would have concerns that your kids might try do drugs, you
know? Have you talked to your kids about the dangers of drugs,
alcohol, sex, etc.?

Different techniques work for different kids. Some kids are sensitive, and need a soft touch. Some kids are hard-headed and hard-hearted, and need a firm hand. Most parents know which approach is best for the individual child.

So, the principal asked him to stop. That doesn't mean the principal was against the method. The principal is probably just protecting his butt from any criticism by the public.

Notice, that "the boy agreed to the punishment". That probably means the dad gave the boy a choice; either the boy do the sandwich board, or do something else. The boy apparently preferred the sign thing to whatever the other option was.

I am glad that you ask me question. I will try my best to answer your each question.

OK, what is the best solution then? What if the parents dont have the money for professional help for the child?

Do you insure health insurance? If yes, they cover therapies for the children and adult. Here in Germany, yes. I´m sure that they would cover the cost for therapy... (I don´t know about American Health Insurance policy but it´s worth to check with Insurance company about this).

If you don´t have health insurance.. How about check with Medicard? (US government health insurance for poor people or unemployment) or check with family counsellor about this? Let me share you about German social system here in Germany. Visit to family counsellor to help the children cost nothing - all of therapies to help children and adult are obligate to cover by public health insurances.

Maybe public humilition is not the best solution, then what?

The children/teenager need parental´s love and support. The parents need to focus their children´s problem and feeling to find out or take them to family counsellor... Work together with family counsellor to find out where they come from and also talk to school counsellor as well. Check with doctor and then they will send them to therapy. If the parent really care about their children´s future then work together with therapy, school or family counsellor to help to improve child´s development.

Grounding the child? sometimes it dont work, cuz he will
try it again cuz peer thing is so strong, the kid will do it again,
just to be in the crowd or cuz it "feels" good.

Don´t ground them if you found out that your child addict on drug but seek the help for your child. The therapy will advise you what to do with your child... Most of addiction children are being sent to secure home to cure their addiction. Contact CPS for their support then they will advise you how to help your child.

Yes I has to agree with you that the problem is the teenagers tried to experience their curious in wrong path with bad crowd. Public humliation doesn´t solve anything but they will still seek bad crowd and make them feel good. With parental´s love and support, then they will feel good and forget to try something bad with wrong crowd.

I would talk my child straight way after found out that he experienced drugs out of curiously and found out what wrong with them. I would ask question to myself thousand of times what have I done anything wrong to expose my children into wrong path...

What is your suggestion since you still have kids at home and
you would have concerns that your kids might try do drugs, you
know? Have you talked to your kids about the dangers of drugs,
alcohol, sex, etc.?

Yes, not just immoderately alcohol, sex, drugs etc but everything. I want to make sure that my children aware what they are about and how to respect, safety, etc. My children have sex and drug education at school which is great.

I have no religious inclinations whatsoever, and I think what the father did was reasonable. And who says public humiliation isn't a deterrent? Historically, it has been and the last thing kids need when they do something wrong is to run to shrinks and other so-called "help". He will probably be better off for having a father who has a firm stance and sticks to it.

It will NEVER works.

Yes, it works ! Look at the boy -- he don't take drugs A N Y M O R E. Sometimes, embarrassin' or humiliatin' is good for some kids. That's called " tough love. "

That boy needs " tough love " afterall. ;)

Yes, it works ! Look at the boy -- he don't take drugs A N Y M O R E. Sometimes, embarrassin' or humiliatin' is good for some kids. That's called " tough love. "

That boy needs " tough love " afterall. ;)

You thought so. I don´t. A boy only say because his father is around. :)

You thought so. I don´t. A boy only say because his father is around. :)

Truth hurts, yes. That boy needs that to get his life straighten out. His father has every right to be there with him, no matter what if, the father is around or not. It shows that he is FATHER. Father is the boss, not his son.

I am not sure how I feel about it..I am on the fence with this one but if it worked then why not? It may not work for all children though.

I am with you on that one. If that works, that's great. If it didn't work, then find a different solution.

Public humiliation of a child of any kind is inhuman and wrong. It does and will have a lasting impression of the kid, and not in a good way.

Father makes boy wear sign as punishment for using drugs

I can promise you this father is a strong devout Christian who probably got the idea from his pastor. No doubt this kid is going to grow to hate religion.

I have no idea what things dad had tried on his kid, but do you know other good ways to stop the kid from doing drugs? A friend of mine was a troublemaker and she kept sneaking out in the middle of night. She was caught by her parents so they decided to take her door out of her room. She does not have any privacy. She had to change her clothes in the bathroom and her parents weren't Christians. They were traditional Jews.

Truth hurts, yes. That boy needs that to get his life straighten out. His father has every right to be there with him, no matter what if, the father is around or not. It shows that he is FATHER. Father is the boss, not his son.

Anyone praising this has no idea what's going on in that kid's head. That child had no choice but to stand there, and most likely did not "take it in stride."

He was probably feeling a lot of resentment towards his father. More than anything, he wanted that sign off his neck and to be doing drugs again, to spite him. The fastest way to achieve this is pretending to agree with his dad.

How many times have you lied to someone to appease them?

I have no idea what things dad had tried on his kid, but do you know other good ways to stop the kid from doing drugs? A friend of mine was a troublemaker and she kept sneaking out in the middle of night. She was caught by her parents so they decided to take her door out of her room. She does not have any privacy. She had to change her clothes in the bathroom and her parents weren't Christians. They were traditional Jews.

What your friend's parents did your friend is a privacy, not public. This is a difference.

I did with my children belong privacy because it's between us, not everyone to the public.

Anyone praising this has no idea what's going on in that kid's head. That child had no choice but to stand there, and most likely did not "take it in stride."

He was probably feeling a lot of resentment towards his father. More than anything, he wanted that sign off his neck and to be doing drugs again, to spite him. The fastest way to achieve this is pretending to agree with his dad.

How many times have you lied to someone to appease them?

Well, that's YOUR opinion. I think the father did it a good job ! I support him and his idea.

It would make things worse if, you lie to someone to appease them, because they will find out later. This will make you a "red flag " if, you are caught... just like his father did when he discovered his son takin' drugs on his son's MySpace. It's better to save son's life than not to recognize his signs if, he should die young.

Well, that's YOUR opinion. I think the father did it a good job ! I support him and his idea.

It would make things worse if, you lie to someone to appease them, because they will find out later. This will make you a "red flag " if, you are caught... just like his father did when he discovered his son takin' drugs on his son's MySpace. It's better to save son's life than not to recognize his signs if, he should die young.

Do you know how his father discover his son taking drugs? In his own words:

"He did not post on his myspace profile he was doing drugs. I found out his password and found out through undeleted emails."

After some of you agreeing with this father even though it's a cruel punishment, you're going to somehow be apoligists and say its ok for fathers to break into their kid's account and snooop at deleted emails?

What's next? How far down does one needs to go into the rabbit hole?

He will show a lie to his father then abuse and sell the drugs again.

I think it will happen again, no doubt.

:gpost:

Public humiliation is not an appropriate punishment for a child.

It´s very poor parenting, which will cause rebellion and very low self-esteem.

Good post!!!

If his father lose the son due bad fighting or rebel against on parent, that can be happen.

He will taken away to child care center or other somewhere.

Send him to boarding school is BADDEST idea. :ugh:

Back