Tell me about this...

I don't think that's a very wise thing to do. Even hearing kids need to communicate effectively with their parents. It is very frustrated for our own son to communicate with his mother because we use spoken language.

I agree with you. When my daughter was born, I was still learning ASL and I used Sim-Com with her. Biggest regret because she isnt fluent in ASL and she doesnt sign to me as much and I am always misunderstanding her. With my son, I kept both languages separate and at 4, he is fluent in both. However, he seems to be going through a stage where he is not signing to me so I sign back to him without voice and tell him that I do not understand him at all and need him to sign. Then he will realize that he forgot to sign and start signing to me.

I agree with you. When my daughter was born, I was still learning ASL and I used Sim-Com with her. Biggest regret because she isnt fluent in ASL and she doesnt sign to me as much and I am always misunderstanding her. With my son, I kept both languages separate and at 4, he is fluent in both. However, he seems to be going through a stage where he is not signing to me so I sign back to him without voice and tell him that I do not understand him at all and need him to sign. Then he will realize that he forgot to sign and start signing to me.

Shel- I have seen both you and others use this term and the term Bi-Bi. Stupid me, I don't know what they mean. Can you help educate me please?

It's means using Spoken English as second language, and ASL as first language.

No difference than a child being raised in both Spanish and English speaking family.

I just think it is really not right for a Spanish speaking mother to speak only English around her daughter when they could have a very effective communication if the daughter learn Spanish from the moment she was born. The only difference is that we are deaf, so while a spanish - speaking person's English can improve over the years, Our spoken English skills can not (it gets worst especially if our hearing get worst ... Some of our spoken skill is like a hill -- we build our skills to make it to top of the hill and while on top, everything is good, but when something goes wrong, we go tumbling down).

Shel- I have seen both you and others use this term and the term Bi-Bi. Stupid me, I don't know what they mean. Can you help educate me please?

Sim-Com Simultaneous Communication.

Speaking and signing at the same time.

Thank you - what about Bi-Bi?

Also it keeps both languages separate and in their pure form without compromising one or other.

Sim-Com is the use of both at the same time so usually either ASL or English gets compromised meaning they wont be in t he correct form.

No, they just choose not to use ASL with their child. They choose to use spoken language in their home.

I knew a Deaf couple who chose to use speech only with their children years ago. Personally, I thought that they should be using sign but it's not my place to tell them what to do.

The south don't have that many deaf people (probably because it's the south and very slow to technologies)

Really? I live in the South and there are tons of Deaf people here. I'm not in a city either.

Really? I live in the South and there are tons of Deaf people here. I'm not in a city either.

in certain areas... I'm not trying to say they don't exist in the south. They just don't have that many deaf people.

But in certain location, like near a deaf school, you'll find them. Like Stanton, VA

other than that, if there's hardly any technology or deaf education, they are far more likely to leave that area

I live in a large city. A very large and diverse city. We have Hatians, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans, NY & NJ Jewish, Jamacian, Bahamian, and just about everything else. The churches are very diverse both in language and religion. The telephone book has listing for over 300 churches in this area. In all of those churches, there is only 1 (one) that has any kind of a deaf ministry and then there are only 10-15 people that are a part of that deaf ministry. It is not in a religion that I will participate in, therefore, I am left out for the most part. Luckily, our music program is on an overhead projector and the music leader gives me a copy of the music as well (I read music). The guitar player has set up lights on the speakers so that I can see the beat of the drums and get the general gist of the music that way. He and the Sax player make sure I know when the singing starts and where they are. But, I've always found that musicians will always help each other out. We have a Sunday School commentary that I can generally follow along with and so I know what the lesson is about, but I miss the teaching and question session. I do not get the sermon at all and therefore, I don't get much at all. I am generally envious of people who are able to have a church that is accessible to them, but that is one place where I am a minority.
Thats strange but I suppose I have heard of that areas like California and Florida I believe they're similar have a lot of different cultures, but no church. Thats strange tho, I would think that most people who go to school to be a pastor or for youth ministries would take a second language. Strangely as well most people who are pastors go to school for a really long time and I understand don't make too much. Of coarse none will never tell you, anyway. My parents church has recently adopted a Spanish sermon. Maybe in all areas this will become a standard, churches for the demographics.

Thats strange but I suppose I have heard of that areas like California and Florida I believe they're similar have a lot of different cultures, but no church. Thats strange tho, I would think that most people who go to school to be a pastor or for youth ministries would take a second language. Strangely as well most people who are pastors go to school for a really long time and I understand don't make too much. Of coarse none will never tell you, anyway. My parents church has recently adopted a Spanish sermon. Maybe in all areas this will become a standard, churches for the demographics.

Most of the churches here in this area and very small and in converted homes and have congregations of 10-30 people. The large churches don't have anything for the deaf or hard of hearing except one Catholic Church. The church I am going to is the same one I was married in and we came back to after a 13 year absence. They have an attendance that varies from 30-75 depending on the weather. The Pastor has a hearing problem himself, but firmly believes that G_D will heal him if he prays enough. (That is a compltetely off-limits discussion and I will not continue it, I promise.)

Even with all the churches not being "deaf ready" (what term do I want, I'm brain-dead tonight), the city is a wonderful one with it's total diversity and moving to being more deaf friendly.

Oh my...!:shock:
Thank you so much for your comments, dear fellas... :grouphug: i'll revert with comments and more questions

In some of the Deaf churches I have attended, they never used Sim-Com..only terps to keep English and ASL in their pure forms so that way no language was compromised and nobody misses out. I was impressed with those churches respect for both languages.

In theory it sounds good but the problem is that you don't just snap your finger and suddenly all of the hearies know how to sign.

That makes sense now. If it's framed as just another foreign language I can see it happening. I just couldn't see a bunch of hearing people agreeing to signing only, especially if a number of them don't know SL or don't know it well...

Although it seems to me that in an environment with both hearing and Deaf/Hoh, sim-com or ASL and English side by side (with terps) would be the more "natural" agreement.

It's means using Spoken English as second language, and ASL as first language.

No difference than a child being raised in both Spanish and English speaking family.

I just think it is really not right for a Spanish speaking mother to speak only English around her daughter when they could have a very effective communication if the daughter learn Spanish from the moment she was born. The only difference is that we are deaf, so while a spanish - speaking person's English can improve over the years, Our spoken English skills can not (it gets worst especially if our hearing get worst ... Some of our spoken skill is like a hill -- we build our skills to make it to top of the hill and while on top, everything is good, but when something goes wrong, we go tumbling down).

Also it keeps both languages separate and in their pure form without compromising one or other.

Sim-Com is the use of both at the same time so usually either ASL or English gets compromised meaning they wont be in t he correct form.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.
These comments i'll use for keep OT

It's interesting to me what shel says about respect both languages.
From my extrictly personal POV, I don't doubt of the respect for both cultures/languages if they would keep it the old way. What I do think is that using everyone their own language, its more relaxed.
We have always the same problem when a heary with a bad perspective on deaf is nearby. Bad perspective equals to: not having respect for the deaf, and always keeping the responses short. Not caring for learning the language or understanding the culture. So, actually these hearies are the ones that sometimes lead to the decission of "now everyone signs".

Again. Not that I care. I actually have the idea that, if I'm speaking with a heary fella, and a deaf fella comes, i cut the speaking, catch up the deaf about the subject and continue in SL. That's my opinion/custom.

But the idea of making everyone signs, is because "it would be more refreshing for the deaf"
Reading most of your opinions, I can see and understand that this would be a nice idea for you. So, maybe the decission is not that bad.

Regarding rockdrummer's comment, that's a point too. Some of the "interpreters" are so bad in SL or it's so poor (maybe they're learning it) that SL communication is kind of impossible. Good signers or pure Deaf sing to these ppl and get tired because they don't know the language so well.
CJB, a similar point again.

Regarding shel's reply to Lighthouse's comment, i totally agree. I don't like sim-com.
If you want me to sign, i'll sign. But don't with an hybrid that makes no sense. I've learned that that sim-com goes in detriment of both languages, and i wont use it.

Ok. So based in this, we agree that hearing interpreters that attend to a SL church signing between them, is a good thing for the Deaf. (everyone that thinks otherwise, can still post their opinion, pls)

Now I've two more questions. One new, one comes from the same line we're comming from.

1. A lot of hearings (honestly, I wonder too) doubt of the privacy of these conversations. Tell me your experiences as Deaf ammong a group of hearies signing... Or tell me, please, your experiences in a Deaf crowd. Is the Deaf all the time checking if they can catch a conversation? What if the Deaf realizes that the conversation they can catch up on, is private? it's easy to ressist the temptation of keeping staring?

2. Lets say we've stablished already the "everyone signs" thing, and everyone is happy. Most of our information is written. We've some information made in SL (DVDs) but we've a lot in written language.
Would be wise to supress everything that's written? How the Deaf studies in a deaf university? Do they have the bibliography in english and the classes are in ASL? How separate is the SL from english in deaf universities?

Again, dear friends, thanks in advance for your sharing

A lot of hearings (honestly, I wonder too) doubt of the privacy of these conversations. Tell me your experiences as Deaf ammong a group of hearies signing... Or tell me, please, your experiences in a Deaf crowd. Is the Deaf all the time checking if they can catch a conversation? What if the Deaf realizes that the conversation they can catch up on, is private? it's easy to ressist the temptation of keeping staring?

do you do the same thing with your ears, overhears someone's conversation? Tell me why you like going to restaurants instead of staying at home and eat. It's the excitement of being around people (believe me, if no one was talking, like in the library, you would be pretty bored.. in fact you don't learn anything about life and socializing from silent around people) . Deaf people are no different. And people signing in Signed language help us feel fit in the society and not left out. I wouldn't worry about privacy anymore than a person's privacy in spoken English in public places. More likely deaf people may catch a glimpse a thing or two but mind their business, just like a person overhears a conversation.

Back