Tell me about this...

ok...
i understand both points..
it wouldnt be just a day, CBJ, it would be actually, a whole separated program aimed to Deaf... imagine you go to church and you have different rooms of languages... where the attending are having the same program (in english, spanish, deutch... SL) the room of SL, the hearing that attend should only use SL with other hearing? that would be the perspective...
according shel's opinion it would be great?

That makes sense now. If it's framed as just another foreign language I can see it happening. I just couldn't see a bunch of hearing people agreeing to signing only, especially if a number of them don't know SL or don't know it well...

Although it seems to me that in an environment with both hearing and Deaf/Hoh, sim-com or ASL and English side by side (with terps) would be the more "natural" agreement.

The church I attend to is both deaf and hearing church, many hearing people learned sign and a few became trained interpreters. They're the most friendliest people I ever met. At my church they have over 20 deaf and Hard of Hearing people, and about under 100 hearing people. They also provide sign language classes Wednesday night at my church for hearing people who wants to learn.

They also have two different interpreters one of them sign pure ASL, the other interpreter sign in Sim-Com. ;)

That makes sense now. If it's framed as just another foreign language I can see it happening. I just couldn't see a bunch of hearing people agreeing to signing only. :lol:

Our church has different services in minority languages everywhere. If you want services in Tongan, Portuguese, or Samoan, you can find them, all within 5 miles of my house. ASL is treated the same way.

Our church has different services in minority languages everywhere. If you want services in Tongan, Portuguese, or Samoan, you can find them, all within 5 miles of my house. ASL is treated the same way.

That's good. I love diversity and how a community embraces diversity.

That's great. I live in a town that is made up of mostly white people that talk about how the Mexicans should go home, so diversity here isn't exactly "embraced."

Do you mind if I ask where you live that has such a variety of options?

That's great. I live in a town that is made up of mostly white people that talk about how the Mexicans should go home, so diversity here isn't exactly "embraced."

Do you mind if I ask where you live that has such a variety of options?

Salt Lake City, Utah

I might move there. :giggle:

Not every church in the area has that much diversity, just LDS. Literally, within 5 miles there are several Spanish speaking, Tongan, Samoan, Porteguese, ASL, and several just for single people under 30.

Mormons are the best :D

Whatever :D Nah everyone knows Im Mormon. In my chapel we have Spanish session. In the one couple blocks away there is Tongan session. Single ward is funny to go to I went 3 or 4 times with my sis. I went to deaf ward once is all. Fun stuff

Such wide diversity within the religious is expected with a large segment of the urban population belong to one church.

I know because I hail from another city with a large population (of the province anyway) belonging to one network and they had such programs within Edmonton as well. Here? Yeah, there's a church or two with the same affiliation, but their services are nowhere as diverse as the largest church organization in town here.

A lot of churches have ASL services for those who are deaf or hard of hearing, with mostly hearing members. Signing only, makes sense at a deaf church and I think is a good thing. Only two problems are some religious signs are hard to understand be you lately deafened or born deaf. Especially since there aren't any modern books having a lot of religious signs. Than again in the same sense often churches will set up to accommodate a group. Lastly those who are hard of hearing won't get the advantage of voice and sign. However I know churches that have voice interpreters as well if you live in a big and diverse city this is often the case many different churches, but most won't have the set up for deaf blinds. Which is unfortunate, if I could sign better I would do this pay is not necessary.

A lot of churches have ASL services for those who are deaf or hard of hearing, with mostly hearing members. Signing only, makes sense at a deaf church and I think is a good thing. Only two problems are some religious signs are hard to understand be you lately deafened or born deaf. Especially since there aren't any modern books having a lot of religious signs. Than again in the same sense often churches will set up to accommodate a group. Lastly those who are hard of hearing won't get the advantage of voice and sign. However I know churches that have voice interpreters as well if you live in a big and diverse city this is often the case many different churches, but most won't have the set up for deaf blinds. Which is unfortunate, if I could sign better I would do this pay is not necessary.

I live in a large city. A very large and diverse city. We have Hatians, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans, NY & NJ Jewish, Jamacian, Bahamian, and just about everything else. The churches are very diverse both in language and religion. The telephone book has listing for over 300 churches in this area. In all of those churches, there is only 1 (one) that has any kind of a deaf ministry and then there are only 10-15 people that are a part of that deaf ministry. It is not in a religion that I will participate in, therefore, I am left out for the most part. Luckily, our music program is on an overhead projector and the music leader gives me a copy of the music as well (I read music). The guitar player has set up lights on the speakers so that I can see the beat of the drums and get the general gist of the music that way. He and the Sax player make sure I know when the singing starts and where they are. But, I've always found that musicians will always help each other out. We have a Sunday School commentary that I can generally follow along with and so I know what the lesson is about, but I miss the teaching and question session. I do not get the sermon at all and therefore, I don't get much at all. I am generally envious of people who are able to have a church that is accessible to them, but that is one place where I am a minority.

I live in a large city. A very large and diverse city. We have Hatians, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans, NY & NJ Jewish, Jamacian, Bahamian, and just about everything else. The churches are very diverse both in language and religion. The telephone book has listing for over 300 churches in this area. In all of those churches, there is only 1 (one) that has any kind of a deaf ministry and then there are only 10-15 people that are a part of that deaf ministry. It is not in a religion that I will participate in, therefore, I am left out for the most part. Luckily, our music program is on an overhead projector and the music leader gives me a copy of the music as well (I read music). The guitar player has set up lights on the speakers so that I can see the beat of the drums and get the general gist of the music that way. He and the Sax player make sure I know when the singing starts and where they are. But, I've always found that musicians will always help each other out. We have a Sunday School commentary that I can generally follow along with and so I know what the lesson is about, but I miss the teaching and question session. I do not get the sermon at all and therefore, I don't get much at all. I am generally envious of people who are able to have a church that is accessible to them, but that is one place where I am a minority.

Maybe you don't know where to look. I live in a moderate city and we have two deaf churches. Not hearing churches with deaf programs, but two deaf churches.

Maybe you don't know where to look. I live in a moderate city and we have two deaf churches. Not hearing churches with deaf programs, but two deaf churches.

I have also asked with the local deaf clubs and the Deaf Service Center. My mother has called quite a few of the churches (those that speak English) and no one knows of any except the Catholic Church near the Island of Palm Beach.

I have also asked with the local deaf clubs and the Deaf Service Center. My mother has called quite a few of the churches (those that speak English) and no one knows of any except the Catholic Church near the Island of Palm Beach.

I am surprised. Of course I live in the Midwest, and I guess we are close to the Bible belt.

I am surprised. Of course I live in the Midwest, and I guess we are close to the Bible belt.

I know in both towns in Missouri I lived in, Columbia and Washington, there were deaf churches and deaf services in hearing churches. That's why I was surprised not to find any here in WPB that has an estimated population of 97,000 and Columbia, MO at 94,000 during the summer, and an extra 30,000 during the school year (3 colleges). Washington, MO only has a population of 24,000. Washington has more deaf friendly churches than WPB, FL. That's surprising. I guess it must be a Midwest thing and you may be right about the Bible belt.

Ah well, I should be getting some help from one of the Elders at church regarding the sermons. He is going to try to have the sermons go through a dictating program that will type out what the pastor says. We'll see. It hard as we always have problems with the sound system. They never got it totally fixed after the hurricanes from 4 years ago.

No, they just choose not to use ASL with their child. They choose to use spoken language in their home.

I don't think that's a very wise thing to do. Even hearing kids need to communicate effectively with their parents. It is very frustrated for our own son to communicate with his mother because we use spoken language.

Anyway, most churches will start having a deaf ministry if deaf would just attend and let their needs to be known. The south don't have that many deaf people (probably because it's the south and very slow to technologies)

Even though I do think AL might have deaf service because they take pride in Helen Keller in that area.

Like I mentioned about that one church I went to.. when they started having deaf members there, they were very open to ASL and some of them even took ASL class for them.

Back