Technological progress: better hearing than normal hearing

Fantastic post. The only thing I can find fault with is that you willingly exposing her to Red Sox nation!!
Rick

Ahhh, the greatest "evah" rivalry in sports. Yes, she's fully contaminated: Sox, Patriots, and Bruins! As a former New Yorker (and childhood Mets fan), I found Li's first ever ball game a few years back to be a particularly poignant moment, taking place at Fenway Park, of course.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZQ9aEWbgPM]Li-Li's First Red Sox Game - YouTube[/ame]

Ahhh, the greatest "evah" rivalry in sports. Yes, she's fully contaminated: Sox, Patriots, and Bruins! As a former New Yorker (and childhood Mets fan), I found Li's first ever ball game a few years back to be a particularly poignant moment, taking place at Fenway Park, of course.

Li-Li's First Red Sox Game - YouTube

Awww, such a sweetie. She seemed overwhelmed in the video. Did she talk about how much she enjoyed it?

This made my day. Super cute. And the fact that she is a Red Sox fan proves she is genius! :thumb:

Absolutely adorable. Looks like you had good seats, somewhere above home plate, is that right?

I became a Red Sox fan back in the days of Yaz, and lived maybe a mile or so up Beacon St. (in Brookline) from Fenway. Used to go to the games from time to time with my Boston sweetie, and he explained all the strategies to me.

Bahstahn 4-evah!!

She is so cute and she looks like she had a great time!

Absolutely adorable. Looks like you had good seats, somewhere above home plate, is that right?

I became a Red Sox fan back in the days of Yaz, and lived maybe a mile or so up Beacon St. (in Brookline) from Fenway. Used to go to the games from time to time with my Boston sweetie, and he explained all the strategies to me.

Bahstahn 4-evah!!

My dad who was a life long NY then San Francisco Giant fan for some reason took us to a Yankees game in which Mickey Mantle hit a game winning homer and that was it for me.

My dad who was a life long NY then San Francisco Giant fan for some reason took us to a Yankees game in which Mickey Mantle hit a game winning homer and that was it for me.

1975 World Series game 6. First time I was ever allowed to stay up past bed time to watch TV. That did it for me. :) Red Sox were also my first Little league team.

On the Tech convo. Every ballpark I went to this year had a hand held device you could borrow to read all of the PA announcements. I never borrowed one though.

1975 World Series game 6. First time I was ever allowed to stay up past bed time to watch TV. That did it for me. :) Red Sox were also my first Little league team.

On the Tech convo. Every ballpark I went to this year had a hand held device you could borrow to read all of the PA announcements. I never borrowed one though.

Nice that you could have borrowed one. We went to a couple games in Baltimore this year, in the spring (one against Boston, one vs. Tampa Bay). There was a note in the program that you could turn your *own* iPhone or other device to such-and-such a channel to get the text messages or the PA announcements, but there was no mention of being able to borrow one.

I am beginning to see more and more reasons to buy an iPad or something similar, to get movie captions, PA announcements, who knows what else that will be coming out.

Always intersting how one small event, staying up late, can impact your life.

In the new Yankee Stadium one of the big screens is captioned but I do not think for everything.

Nice that you could have borrowed one. We went to a couple games in Baltimore this year, in the spring (one against Boston, one vs. Tampa Bay). There was a note in the program that you could turn your *own* iPhone or other device to such-and-such a channel to get the text messages or the PA announcements, but there was no mention of being able to borrow one.

I am beginning to see more and more reasons to buy an iPad or something similar, to get movie captions, PA announcements, who knows what else that will be coming out.

As I posted that I was thinking..."I am surprised they don't have an app for that" Of course the hopefully would still have some boxes for people without smartphones.

h_11_4048_MCGUIRE_017.jpg

Fenway has special seating and handheld assistive listening devices and Gillette Stadium has great compliance with and surpasses accessibility recommendations & requirements. There's a very cool video accompanying the Gillette accessibility article.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyY-728TQUI&hd=1&cc=1]Gillette Stadium: Accessible to All - YouTube[/ame]

We've tried out a couple of the newer iPhone apps with ASL dictionaries targeted specifically at the installations at museums, one was being tested at the Museum of Science in Boston. It was a bit awkward to use with multiple, not yet interlinked dictionaries to walk through one by one and really didn't quite hit the right vocabulary, but I can see the potential for really making such a thing work.

h_11_4048_MCGUIRE_017.jpg

Fenway has special seating and handheld assistive listening devices and Gillette Stadium has great compliance with and surpasses accessibility recommendations & requirements. There's a very cool video accompanying the Gillette accessibility article.

Gillette Stadium: Accessible to All - YouTube

We've tried out a couple of the newer iPhone apps with ASL dictionaries targeted specifically at the installations at museums, one was being tested at the Museum of Science in Boston. It was a bit awkward to use with multiple, not yet interlinked dictionaries to walk through one by one and really didn't quite hit the right vocabulary, but I can see the potential for really making such a thing work.

The still picture is what I saw. Very cool.

I did not watch the video, just read your posts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I love what technology has to offer and think it is amazing how it advances. When a part of us wears out or doesn't work, technology offers us the option of being able to continue on with a new part. I grew up hearing and am in my late 30's at the profound stage this year. Of course I will feel differently about hearing through technology as someone who lived their life deaf. I think it is pretty cool that I can hear now, and thanks to technology. If I can hear better than my cats one day, bring it on, hehee (as long as I still have a volume control button) ;)

If I can hear better than my cats one day, bring it on, hehee (as long as I still have a volume control button) ;)

Some people have told that is a blessing not having to listen to everything and everyone around yourself. I would never want two normal ears. Having a CI with hearing as good as normal with a volume control would be nice though (I have 50% hearing in one ear only, don't use CI or HA).

I understand your point of view. I jump in every once in a while and then realize I totally did not understand the OP or the thread. he he Oh well, life goes on. :laugh2:

Yeah, life goes on, having earned more experience. I have to spend some time away from AD. Sometimes you have to spend time in isolation to clear your mind. I feel better now.

:wave: HH scientist, saw your post involve reference to Spock
hubby and I enjoy Star Trek:wave:

he is maybe like you - very analytical, rational....never knew deaf as a culture or social identity. Raised as "hearing impaired".
He has learned some signs from me and we use a few at home and some home signs also; he is very shy to try to do anything but talk in public. He has much "think hearing".

I was analytical early too as a child. Having a 'disability' does not make you a lesser person, it just gives you different abilities. Sometimes, those abilities turn out to be an advantage.

Hi HH Scientist, I like what you wrote there about the different abilities.
I think people be very narrow in what they perceive as alleged "acceptable" or "normal"

Back