Technological progress: better hearing than normal hearing

This is rather naive. We're talking about cultures, not personal preferences. To say, "I love going to the beach," is not in the same sphere of thought as, "I love being white," or "I love being hearing." There is a lot of subtext behind the latter two phrases that you would not typically find in the former phrase.

It has come to be expected that some posters will only see things from a very superficial perspective. It's a defensive tactic.

What forced vacation?? :)

Also, these questions I'd love to ask....

You said that your daughter KNOWS ASL... And that was after 1 class in a college you claim. I don't believe you.

You're leaving quite a significant amount of information out about your daughter, and we all can see it. That and the fact you're more than happy to associate yourself with a person who is a pathological liar lying to the community speaks a lot on your behalf.

I strongly suggest you to just leave this forum - afterall it serves you no purpose other than selfish intentions.

I notice that deafguy25 has changed his avatar.

Ah, I see that hemorrhoid48 has predictably returned and caused an AD flair up, as usual.

Make like a big big beautiful oak tree that is common on the East coast and leave?

I'm not defending anyone or minimizing anyone. But if someone gets so exercised about different opinions being expressed, maybe it's time to take a break. Shel is the one who is making herself miserable. No one is attacking her, but she's taking things personally just because someone else has made different choices in their life than she has.

So, time to calm down. Drink a nice cup of hot tea. Breathe in, breathe out.

It's the Internet; plenty of room for all opinions.

I'm not defending anyone or minimizing anyone. But if someone gets so exercised about different opinions being expressed, maybe it's time to take a break. Shel is the one who is making herself miserable. No one is attacking her, but she's taking things personally just because someone else has made different choices in their life than she has.

No, it is the disrespect of my way of life that I wont tolerate. Saying that ASL and livng the Deaf life is somewhat inferior to the hearing life. These people are not welcome here on AD if they want to promote the hearing way of life. They can do that on other forums. If you are in support of that, maybe you do not belong here as well. Audism should not be accepted nor tolerated here.

I lived with that audism view all of my life. AD is a place where I dont feel it and these people are bringing audism into AD and I will show them the door. they can go to the AGBell forums and preach oralism, hearing, and speech all they want. I wont go to that forum to promote ASL or Deaf culture.

Do you understand why she is that way?

Ie: If someone came onto a forum for black people, and spread racism.. would you go and tell the black person that is aggravated to "take a break from the forum" and allow the racism to continue?

Nah, didn't think so. Same logic applies here.

Actually that is incorrect, SSI does not directly provide undergrad or grad students with tuition. Tuition can be obtained in most cases through VR which is state mandated. SSI after age 21 is based on income earned in each calendar and will gradually phase out after approximately $1500-2000 is earned in a month.

You are mistaken. FF works for SSA and deals with these things on a daily basis.

Surely you didn't use VR or SSI to fund your child's education. That would be very hypocritical of you. Surely you did not collect SSI benefits for her as a child? Most certainly you did not enlist payment from Medicaid for any of her surgical expenses? Oh, wait, I forgot. She was part of an experimental group. That covers the surgical expense and the follow ups,as well as the cost of the device.

But since we are all certain that you would not lower yourself to use your child's deafness to collect any kind of assistance, tuition or otherwise, you couldn't possibly have much knowlege regarding the criteria and process for obtaining such. I mean, for goodness sake, your child functions as a hearing child, and you are more proud of that than anything. To accept assistance based on her deafness would be nothing short of hypocritical and indicates a complete failure to have the courage of your convictions. Surely you could not be guilty of anything so low.:cool2:

Yeah, but being berated by an ignorant hearing guy really takes the cake in a Deaf forum. :roll:

Why do you continually feel the need to jump in and comment on things that you know absolutely nothing about. There is a long and sordid history tied to this poster. Your paternalistic approach is best reserved for dealing with your children, not with fellow AD members.

And shel is one of the happiest most well adjusted people I know. She certainly is not making herself miserable over this inconsequential poster. She simply refuses to let audism pass by without outing it. Good for her. She has convictions, and she has courage.

You are making yourself miserable for no reason. No one is disrespecting you. No one is disrespecting your life choices.

This is "All" deaf. Wide range of choices here, and different opinions. It doesn't mean anyone is attacking you because they made a different choice than you would.

If people want to choose the hearing way of life, fine but to belittle ASL, Deaf schools or Deaf culture? I wont stay quiet about it and if that is what you are hoping for, BG, you got the wrong person.

You are making yourself miserable for no reason. No one is disrespecting you. No one is disrespecting your life choices.

This is "All" deaf. Wide range of choices here, and different opinions. It doesn't mean anyone is attacking you because they made a different choice than you would.

You are making assumptions regarding something you know nothing about.

Shel has a mother. If she needs motherly advice, she knows where to turn. Your paternalistic attitude is offensive.

People are being disrespectful here. You not being able to see it does not mean it doesnt exist.

Attacking deaf schools...

"lower standardized of education"

when they dont know squat.

Yea right.

Back