Teacher Calling Student "A Loser"

rapunzelcrazy

Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for teachers. They have a great influence over our lives. This teacher must not understand that or they would not have done something so cruel. It is bad enough when students bully other students but a teacher. They are suppose to set the example.

Sioux Falls Teachers React to NC Teacher Calling Student "A Loser"

By KSFY Staff

Story Created: Mar 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM CST

(Story Updated: Mar 12, 2010 at 5:23 PM CST )

A North Carolina middle school teacher is in the hot seat over his controversial style of teaching. He says he's relating to his students, but teachers at Memorial Middle School in Sioux Falls have a different opinion.

"To me it's somebody thinking that it was going to be funny, and I guess I don't see that as a humorous statement."

Julie Ortman, a sixth grade teacher at Memorial, is referring to comments like "minus 20% for being a loser" made by the teacher in North Carolina, not once, but twice, on a sixth grader's homework assignments -- even after the mother of the student complained to school administrators that the teacher was bullying her daughter.

For her part, Ortman believes in a different approach: "I just know for me personally I have a list of one hundred one ways to praise a child."

When teacher Chuck Weis heard about the comments made on the student's papers, he thought of it not just as a teacher but also as a parent.

"When I come to school every day I have one hundred nineteen kids that I'm their parent for nine hours of the day. When I drop my son off at school, I want to feel that same thing -- that these people are there working for me in my place."

The North Carolina teacher has apologized, and the school district there is calling it a personnel matter.

URL:Sioux Falls Teachers React to NC Teacher Calling Student "A Loser" | KSFY.com - Your Source for News, Sports, and Weather - Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104 | Local News

This individual has no business in a classroom, or having contact with impressionable children at all.

it lower a child self esteem that's for sure. Those are negative words that mentally abusive parents would use on their children.

"A North Carolina middle school teacher is in the hot seat over his controversial style of teaching."

Give me a break it is not a teaching style. This is just plain bullying!

"A North Carolina middle school teacher is in the hot seat over his controversial style of teaching."

Give me a break it is not a teaching style. This is just plain bullying!

Agreed. This is contradictory to an open learning environment. Children do not learn anything by being bullied, except to have a negative self image.

Only abusive parents and that teacher does say the word "loser" or "no good" or "you will never succeed in getting a good job" or any negative remarks to put down the child or teenager: meaning the remarks can hurt a child's or teenager's self esteem. Jillio, you are right that the teacher should not be in the classroom if he or she carry on this abusive behavior toward the student or more than one student. When you go to the Teachers College, you learn how to say the right thing to the students and not be abusive at all. There is a difference of right and wrong. The teacher is one hundred percent wrong and he or she is no better than the child bully. :roll:

Teachers in Georgia were caught cheating to get federal funds for their schools.

Its getting bad. Did y'all learn about the Rhode Island firings?

Teachers in Georgia were caught cheating to get federal funds for their schools.

Its getting bad. Did y'all learn about the Rhode Island firings?

You can thank G.W. for that one. NCLB is the worst legislation ever passed for education.

But that has nothing to do with the case of an incompetent teacher name calling in the classroom.

You can thank G.W. for that one. NCLB is the worst legislation ever passed for education.

But that has nothing to do with the case of an incompetent teacher name calling in the classroom.

There are a large majority of educators who would think differently than you.

Don't worry, thats probably Bush's fault too. :lol:

There are a large majority of educators who would think differently than you.

Don't worry, thats probably Bush's fault too. :lol:

Got anything to back that up? I don't know a single educator that has anything good to say about NCLB. The entire legislation is contradictory to the learning process, and penalizes schools that need funding the most.

as you indicated in another thread ......

But, I thought you wanted numbers. Polls are very telling.

Bay Area educators supportive of changes to 'No Child Left Behind' law - 2/01/10 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com

notice who is supporting Obama's NCLB?

keepin mind this is the same guy who made quite a number of "promises".

Polls are virtually useless and tell absolutely nothing except about a very very limited sampling. No predictive value at all, either.

It isn't Obama's NCLB. Evidently you don't have any better grasp on this topic than you do on the DSM. You need to read a bit more thoroughly. Obviously you missed the phrase "changes to"

Wirelessly posted

Sounds like a teacher stooping to low standards to assess discipline. I still think parents should be held accountable for their child's actions - who else has the responsibility to discipline them? It's a shame discipline in sorry methods have to be implemented instead of using that time to teach the curriculum. I believe in solving the problem at its "root", only being concerned of the consequences arising from the problem's roots will only take care of that incident, but will not solve the overall discipline problem.

Wirelessly posted

Sounds like a teacher stooping to low standards to assess discipline. I still think parents should be held accountable for their child's actions - who else has the responsibility to discipline them? It's a shame discipline in sorry methods have to be implemented instead of using that time to teach the curriculum. I believe in solving the problem at its "root", only being concerned of the consequences arising from the problem's roots will only take care of that incident, but will not solve the overall discipline problem.

You gots a good point, there.

Back