Target shoppers debit/credit cards potentially compromised

You are correct-- today's technology is scarier than it was back in the 1980's and all of the 1990's. We didn't seriously start seeing smartphones until late 2000's, and that industry is still evolving today, and will only get better.

As for laptops, those, too, are getting better, because I'm seeing laptops that require an account to actually gain access to, and that makes it harder for personal information to be compromised. I have an older laptop, and I'd still need to create my own password to protect the laptop from wandering eyes, but I am planning for another laptop later on to use for daily stuff.

As for banks, well, they need to do some serious improvement, there's no denying that, and I'm hoping the US government will FORCE them to do it. It's gotta happen sooner or later.

Banks and Governments have had their security breaches in the past. It takes a good computer and human skills to do this task. It's not very hard to do that and they have patience to do those illegal things. A lot of banks have encrypted firewall, to make it harder to access... it may take longer to make them give up or they'll keep trying.

Smartphones aren't secure either, they are prone to hacks especially Android.

Banks and Governments have had their security breaches in the past. It takes a good computer and human skills to do this task. It's not very hard to do that and they have patience to do those illegal things. A lot of banks have encrypted firewall, to make it harder to access... it may take longer to make them give up or they'll keep trying.

Smartphones aren't secure either, they are prone to hacks especially Android.

Yeah, I knew about the smartphone not being secure.... that's why I have two anti-viruses on it.... AVG and Lookout, with the latter being my primary one, as it does more. I also password protect it, as well, but on the Amtrak trip back home last Sunday, my ntouch mobile got messed up, and I had to factory reset my phone, and that resulted in my discovering I could extend my 3G capabilities well beyond the train. I also had to re-install certain software I'd had before, including my ntouch mobile, and after I got off the train, it began to work properly, so now I know-- do not use it on the Amtrak-- only during home visits or here in Chicago.

Update news

McDaniel launches investigation into Target breach
McDaniel launches investigation into Target breach - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Target confirms encrypted PIN data stolen
Target confirms encrypted PIN data stolen | thv11.com

US banks move to limit Target debit card breach damage
BBC News - US banks move to limit Target debit card breach damage

Way off, Target: America's No. 2 retailer falls 45 points to record-low in brand popularity poll in yet another beating after data breach
Target falls 45 points in brand popularity poll after data breach | Mail Online

Target says encrypted PIN numbers were stolen in breach
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/target-says-encrypted-pin-numbers-were-stolen-in-breach/

Target confirms PIN data was stolen in breach
http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/27/technology/target-pin/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

More Target problems:

NEW YORK (AP) - Target is getting hit with another lump of coal this holiday season.
The nation's second-largest discount retailer said Tuesday that an unidentified number of gift cards sold over the holidays were not properly activated. The Minneapolis chain says the number of cards affected was less than 0.1 percent of the total sold and that it will honor the affected cards.
Customers can bring faulty cards to any Target service desk or call 800-544-2943 for help.
'We are aware that some Target gift cards were not fully activated and apologize for the inconvenience,' company spokeswoman Molly Snyder said in a statement emailed to The Associated Press.
The problem comes less than two weeks after Target announced it was hit with a massive data security breach that affected about 40 million debit and credit card holders who shopped at its stores between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15.

'It's another black eye that makes you question the internal operating procedures of Target,' said Brian Sozzi, CEO and chief equities strategist at Belus Capital Advisors. 'Target needs to be doing everything perfectly. It can't afford to lose any more confidence among its guests.'
On Friday, Target backtracked and said that debit-card PINs were among the financial information stolen from millions of customers who shopped at the retailer in late November and early December. However, it said the stolen personal identification numbers, which customers type into keypads to make secure transactions, were encrypted and that this strongly reduces risk to customers.
In addition to the encrypted PINs, customer names, credit and debit card numbers, card expiration dates and the embedded code on the magnetic strip on back of the cards were stolen.
Target has said it is still in the early stages of investigating the breach. It has been working with the Secret Service and the Department of Justice.
___

I hear that western Europe is way ahead of us in this area.......

Mod note:

Two threads has been merged.

My Chase bank will be mailing me a new debit card with a new number very soon. :roll:

You hate shopping Wal-Mart and prefer Target over Wal-Mart... Now you are getting into this mess. :hmm:

I don't shop Target for a long time. Quit shop there after getting sick of "Out of stock" items that I needed with no restocking in sight for months to years. Forget them. Yes, I request rain check several times and never had luck, so why bother them if they are too lazy to restock items?

And I got tired of going to Target several times to check whether the item I wanted has been restock, no luck, fook them!

Here's a new update:

LA Times

Hey mods! Can we combine the Neiman Marcus and Target data breaches? Let's change the title to "Data breaches at two retailers during holiday season" Thank You!!

a message from CEO Gregg Steinhafel about Target’s payment card issues
https://corporate.target.com/discover/article/Important-Notice-Unauthorized-access-to-payment-ca

Dear Target Guest,

As you have likely heard by now, Target experienced unauthorized access to payment card data from U.S. Target stores. We take this crime seriously. It was a crime against Target, our team members and most importantly you - our valued guest.

We understand that a situation like this creates stress and anxiety about the safety of your payment card data at Target.

Our brand has been built on a 50-year foundation of trust with our guests, and we want to assure you that the cause of this issue has been addressed and you can shop with confidence at Target.

We want you to know a few important things:

The unauthorized access took place in U.S. Target stores between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15, 2013. Canadian stores and target.com were not affected.

Even if you shopped at Target during this time frame, it doesn’t mean you are a victim of fraud. In fact, in other similar situations, there are typically low levels of actual fraud.

There is no indication that PIN numbers have been compromised on affected bank issued PIN debit cards or Target debit cards. Someone cannot visit an ATM with a fraudulent debit card and withdraw cash.

You will not be responsible for fraudulent charges—either your bank or Target have that responsibility.

We’re working as fast as we can to get you the information you need.

Our guests are always the first priority.

For extra assurance, we will offer free credit monitoring services for everyone impacted. We’ll be in touch with you soon on how and where to access the service.

Please read the full notice below. And over the coming days and weeks we will be relying on target.com, abullseyeview.com, corporate.target.com and our various social channels to answer questions and keep you up to date.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and loyalty to Target!

Gregg Steinhafel Chairman, President and CEO, Target

Hereis the issues

1. You usually swipe your own card and enter pin#

2. I write "Check ID" on my cards

3. You are 100% at risk every time

here is why....

#1. when a card is swiped and pin is entered, it is in the system, a hacker hacks the businesses data base and they have everything, this is retailers, gas stations...ect...

#2. You rarely give your cards to any cashiers now anyways, its done on a keypad for your convienience, but if someone got my physical card, they wont have my signiture and they wont have an ID to match my name (immediately anyways) until they have one made if its not too much of a hassle otherwise they will throw it away.

#3. your info is all electronic and floating out there for hackers to snatch at any given momment... remember Wal-Mart got hacked, then Schnucks, now Targets,,, it just a matter of time for the next big hack job to hit.

My credit card was used once at a gas station, by me, but a few months goes by and it was hacked, there was a major gas purchase in Florida, same gas station(namely) but I am in Missouri, never been to Florida.
I disputed the charge, was investigated, refunded, given a new account number and card and was hit again with the same charges...WTF?
I nearly just canceled everything with the company, and they made good of it.

Sucks when you get invaded like that, but it happens no matter how careful you are.

Back