Target shoppers debit/credit cards potentially compromised

Someone got a hold of our credit card and made some charges a few months ago. We cancelled then and reissued. Now were doing it again. Better safe then sorry.

I hate that very few stores/businesses ask for ID anymore.

They're supposed to be asking for ID's, to verify who the person is. Thing is, most local businesses don't want to ask for ID, as it might be a hassle to try and verify who the person is, and they want to keep their business running smoothly, so they don't bother. If I had my way, I would ask the Governor of IL to make a law that mandates that ALL businesses must ask for proof to verify the person's ID. Heck, it should even be federal law, as well-- that would make it a LOT harder to get away with ID theft.

I saw on TV that US stores are about 10 years behind stores around the world in consumer security. Secure stores don't use magnetized strip cards and swiper technology anymore.

I saw on TV that Target is outdated with their consumer security .

I saw on TV that Target is outdated with their consumer security .

Hopefully Target and everyone else will update their security so this doesn't happen again over the next 24-72 hours, as I have a hunch they may try again soon. I wouldn't be surprised if Target's embarrassment has made the other retailers update their security prior to Christmas (and New Year's, as well).

They're supposed to be asking for ID's, to verify who the person is. Thing is, most local businesses don't want to ask for ID, as it might be a hassle to try and verify who the person is, and they want to keep their business running smoothly, so they don't bother. If I had my way, I would ask the Governor of IL to make a law that mandates that ALL businesses must ask for proof to verify the person's ID. Heck, it should even be federal law, as well-- that would make it a LOT harder to get away with ID theft.
That's not how it works:

Can retailers ask for ID with your credit card?

I used to work for Target and I know for a fact cashiers are required to ask for ID if the customer is using Credit.

My girlfriend's mom was affected by this crap :(

I used to work for Target and I know for a fact cashiers are required to ask for ID if the customer is using Credit.

I've never been asked to show my ID at Target when using my card for credit.

When I went to Sears last August to buy my Asus tablet, I used my debit card, and I knew that they might ask to see my ID, and sure enough, that's exactly what they did-- they asked for proof, and I handed it to them, and afterwards it went smoothly. I know Sears is doing what they can to prevent theft, so that's good to see.

Not surprised and that's why I hate technology - within limits

Two quick examples.
1. Got a letter from IBM, our personal data had been compromised, so we had a credit watch for six months.
2. A couple months later, got a very similar letter from Prudential ... same gig.

I don't do Facebook - they datamine a lot. In linkedin (another slimy network), I had to write something in my resume telling recruiters to stop calling me at my office.

You think your medical records are safe. I saw that coming and it will be used. Be careful out there on the internet. If you write something personal about yourself, someone will pick it up. If you don't care, that's cool. I care less these days :) . Age has some benefits.

This have happened too many times over years, and it is going cost even more and sadly, nothing has been done.

There are several possible solution and NO ONE is willing to accept the changes. The longer we wait, the more we are gonna lose and the thieves are enjoying their harvest. Sad!

Supposedly we adapt to some sort of financial security ID, password, or code and these codes can be changed anytime, those crooks WON'T be able to steal more and they will be stopped right on their spot. The idea of security ID or something like that really scares thieves because once a number of victims changed the code, and thieves try again are going to raise red flag making easier for police bust them. But because nothing exists, thieves can do again, and again and again without getting caught. Same idea, if a thieve broke in somebody's house with just a door key that they stole, and that homeowner has not changed the keys, thieves will come back and steal more, right? It will happen UNTIL homeowner changes key to the door and that will stop them. Same principle.

Also, I do NOT like the idea of having cashier asking for ID or something like that. Why? Some people are capable of memorize things. If cashier can remember 16 digit number AND AVS code, then ask you for ID... Address right there, basically that is all they need to steal your ID very easily that way. Had it happened? You can bet on it! Cashier is NOT always trustworthy.

This have happened too many times over years, and it is going cost even more and sadly, nothing has been done.

There are several possible solution and NO ONE is willing to accept the changes. The longer we wait, the more we are gonna lose and the thieves are enjoying their harvest. Sad!

Yes, and not only that, they might close for good, too. That itself would not be good.

Don't forget TJ Maxx a few years ago-- that was even larger than this one-- 90 million, and THEY didn't get their hides sued. WTF is wrong here?

This won't be last one unless we make serious change in how bank use to identify customers. Using SSN is the worst possible idea!

Yes, and not only that, they might close for good, too. That itself would not be good.

Don't forget TJ Maxx a few years ago-- that was even larger than this one-- 90 million, and THEY didn't get their hides sued. WTF is wrong here?

This won't be last one unless we make serious change in how bank use to identify customers. Using SSN is the worst possible idea!

I agree-- bad idea. What we need is improved technology to better protect ourselves, but as the article points out, it costs way too much to do it, and retailers and banks would much rather stick to the current technology, which is why I rarely use my debit card for shopping purposes-- mainly for paying on-line bills, and that's about it.

Hackers will always find it's target they please and they succeeded on Target. I'm sure there will be more attacks to come. The best the consumer can do is watch their bank statements for any suspicious purchases for frauds.

With the computer technology and the internet world, it's too easy to access the personal informations to the unknown victims. It could be inside job, or very computer genius person can figure it out. It's not just the credit or debit card that is at risk, checking accounts, credit unions anything with financial is vulnerable to hack, skimping, stolen.

It's no kidding that technology can be scary because you never know how vulnerable you can be.

Hackers will always find it's target they please and they succeeded on Target. I'm sure there will be more attacks to come. The best the consumer can do is watch their bank statements for any suspicious purchases for frauds.

With the computer technology and the internet world, it's too easy to access the personal informations to the unknown victims. It could be inside job, or very computer genius person can figure it out. It's not just the credit or debit card that is at risk, checking accounts, credit unions anything with financial is vulnerable to hack, skimping, stolen.

It's no kidding that technology can be scary because you never know how vulnerable you can be.

You are correct-- today's technology is scarier than it was back in the 1980's and all of the 1990's. We didn't seriously start seeing smartphones until late 2000's, and that industry is still evolving today, and will only get better.

As for laptops, those, too, are getting better, because I'm seeing laptops that require an account to actually gain access to, and that makes it harder for personal information to be compromised. I have an older laptop, and I'd still need to create my own password to protect the laptop from wandering eyes, but I am planning for another laptop later on to use for daily stuff.

As for banks, well, they need to do some serious improvement, there's no denying that, and I'm hoping the US government will FORCE them to do it. It's gotta happen sooner or later.

Back