Target Removing Gender Label

That part I also agree with-- I've never understood why there were such things as "short shorts"- more so for girls but there are some for boys/men as well. Never understood the "sexualization" of juniors or even toddler apparel. That's why 'uni-sex' fits better for children under the age of .. I guess 12? Kind of out of the loop on that as I have no children, only nieces and nephews by family and friends (honorary uncle lol). The sizing aspect would be more in the teenage realm- even then...have known teens of both genders who don't exactly fit the 'cookie cutter' sizes thrown out by so many companies lol (then it gets expensive with tailoring or specialized..ugh- pain in the ass as a short male).

We live in a time that mothers and even grandmothers dress like they should be selling something for a dollar.... do you really expect them to dress their kids differently? I have a few kids lol three boys and three girls... whike my oldest daughter is dressed by the angles, it is hard to find clothes that cover my youngest twos bottom.... luckily they love my clothes so like ling skirts and love the clothes that I make them.... this will change I am sure...sooner then I like... then I will be back to trying to find clothes that fit them... honestly as far as the age goes, i do not believe anyone who respects their body should wear those types of clothes outside thwir home unless on a beach or the like event.... guess I am a prude though... :/

What???

So only women should 'worry about the girls' and not "worry about boys"? So the fathers don't or should I say "shouldn't" worry about their children either?

In your scenario of "well let the boys go out and get dirty, fight etc," what would you say if the boy doesn't want to do that but would rather stay home and do "traditionally 'girl' things" like play house or whatever else? What about if the girl wants to go out and rough house and go play in the lake. wander in the woods? My older niece did with very little interference from her father and (step)mother when she was young. She grew up just fine thank you very much. Isn't that 'labeling' or categorizing specific behaviors to specific genders rather than saying let all children play the same way?

Quite frankly what IS the difference between "building sets" and "girl building sets" anyway? They both have the same purpose... build something and play with it- so see no reason why both boys and girls can play with any of them.

I don't see it 'spreading'-- seems to me that some clothing is already unisex anyway and has been for many years while others will always be more preferable to female or male (including specific sizing)...

Are you asking me if a boy didnt want to get dirty, play sports or what ever cause a little mischief snd instead wished to pkay other ways..
I got no plm with that..but if it was my son id try find a happpy balance..as i feel as a kid, getting dirty and playing hard is benificial to the development of charactor.
If thats what your asking me

Last edited:
Much ado about nothing.

I was a child of the 1950's and 60's. That was the era of girly-girl clothes. In school, girls were not allowed to wear pants (shorts, slacks, jeans, etc.)

So? At home sometimes I wore girly outfits, sometimes t-shirts and jeans or shorts; it depended on what I was doing that day. When I was young, a lot of my play clothes were neutral or boy's because I had a younger brother who would need some of my hand-me-downs. My first two-wheel bicycle was a boy's and my ice skates were black, so my brother could inherit them. It was a matter of practicality.

I played with dolls and I played with toy trucks. So what? My dad and I built plastic brick (precursor to Legos) buildings together, I played pirates and cowboys with my brother, and I played Barbies and jump rope with my girl friends. Big deal. I didn't worry about whether it was a girl's game or a boy's game. I played them all.

I believe that girls (and women) can participate in all kinds of activities and still maintain their feminism. It doesn't have to be all "no pink" or "all pink."

I like separate areas for clothing in stores. The sizing is so different, for one thing.

When I was in the Navy, the year women first were allowed to wear the traditional men's dungaree uniform, I had to pay to get my tailored. The waist-to-hip dimensions of men's pants to women's was too way off. Eventually, they started making them in women's shapes so I could buy them off the shelf.

I wish stores had more kids' clothing that looked like it was for kids' instead of small adults. Kids should be cute, not sexy.

I like separate areas for clothing in stores. The sizing is so different, for one thing.

When I was in the Navy, the year women first were allowed to wear the traditional men's dungaree uniform, I had to pay to get my tailored. The waist-to-hip dimensions of men's pants to women's was too way off. Eventually, they started making them in women's shapes so I could buy them off the shelf.

I wish stores had more kids' clothing that looked like it was for kids' instead of small adults. Kids should be cute, not sexy.

OMG ! I was out shopping with my daughter trying to find clothes for her daughter and we were shocked at how some of the clothes looks ! It looks something like a hooker would wear ! What is with the sexy clothes for little girls?? Girls can now wear shorts that are really short to school , I grew up in the 50& 60 too and had the same dress code as you.

Back