Switched at Birth petition

kokonut

Reaction score
How surreal. You have Marlee Matlin (Melody), Emmett (Sean Berdy), Emmet's Deaf father, and Travis. And then you have a late deafened teen, Daphne (Katie Leclerc - who is hearing), and few more hearing characters that know sign. My wife and I enjoy this show. You have more people signing in this show than any other ABC family shows with deaf characters that sign.

ABC Family first dropped the ball by hiring an actress who is not Deaf.

ABC Family dropped the ball a second time by not having any culturally Deaf script writers.

ABC Family has dropped the ball a third time by taking a show that can do so much good for promoting Deaf awareness rather than “sensationalizing/dramatizing” it
http://www.change.org/petitions/abc...e-accurate-and-family-oriented-tv-programming

I am not going to sign up for this shit... Ridiculous. SaB is doing so fantastic, through it has some flaws. Fans should realize each TV show never will be realistic because it is only TV show. Anybody should enjoy watching the show.

To be perfectly honest, I agree with the points made in the petition. Especially since the second season has been really bad. The first season was fantastic and the show had so much potential, but then with the second season, they focused on very minimal deaf issues and lots of overdone drama. It was very disappointing. If it wasn't for that, I could have maybe forgiven the fact that the main character is not a fully deaf person (she isn't hearing, either, though) and that they don't have any culturally Deaf writers on staff (they can always consult Deaf when necessary and they have Sean Berdy to consult as well).

Katie Leclerc is technically hard-of-hearing, not hearing. But I do agree with them needing to meet more Deaf issues and have more Deaf staff and consult with more Deaf.

Well, I should point out something. ABC Family writers did their researches, hence their visiting on this AllDeaf. I don't think they replied on this only AD, they could visit another Deaf forums, Deaf websites, and etc. So, I am positive they did interview and chat with Deaf actors and actresses. They did show many great examples of our hardship in the SaB show. As for sensationalizing/dramatizing... I disagree.

They did. That is why they don't left out some important parts for Kate & John and lawyers when the Kennish family found out about their "wrong" daughter. I'll try to keep spoilers minimal... So, if the parents found out about the babies switch, what's happen next? If parents found out that someone knew about the switch, how did they deal with and their reaction is? What results? Do you think the writers will ignore those important questions? No. If someone claims it is not sensationalizing and dramatizing enough, then someone should address what parts of any episode that is not "good enough". I can't think of what episodes are not dramatic and something that "doesn't any sense" because the writers did great job to keep story interesting and going.

When will fans realize there is no such prefect and realistic TV shows?

I think the show is fine. There are three Deaf characters, one late deafened teen that signs, speak and listen/lipread, hearing parents signing, hearing friends signing and not signing, you have deaf extras in the background scene signing away....

In real life, Katie Leclerc has Meniere's Disease. She wears hearing aids in real life. She is hard of hearing. She is a part of the signing community. She is a part of the deaf/hh signing community. This is a show that revolves around a switched at birth babies with one character as hearing and the other who became late deafened as a toddler. I think the show is fine. Nitpicking it to death is tiresome.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't !!

Is the show "perfect"? No (but no show ever is!!)

They made a massive point of hiring Deaf for Deaf (Katie leClerc is Hoh - but she's also said that because of the meniere's sometimes she's functionally deaf even using her HAs because meniere's causing massive hearing fluctuations. In many ways Katie is like me - depending on the day and situation,I'm anywhere from "just hoh" to "functionally deaf". Her character was born hearing and after becoming deaf was initially oral (until meeting Emmett and his mom) so YES she's a good speechreader ... But she also learned ASL & became part of and proud of the Deaf community early on and IS Deaf.

S@B has gone out of it's way to show massive amounts of ASL and Deaf culture, while also showing that there are many faces to being hoh,deaf & Deaf.

They've created a show where being Deaf is part of the characters identities, while also intentionally showing that we as hoh/deaf/Deaf are MORE than "just deaf" - we have many of the same hopes, dreams, challenges, social issues etc as hearing people ... Being Deaf is an important part of "us" but is is NOT the whole us. They show that "teens are teens" - facing the same issues if they're hearing or deaf. That parents are parents - if their children are hearing, deaf or both.

It's utterly ridiculous to think that with a largely Deaf cast which includes people like Sean B & Marlee M that the writers don't have access to people to ask about cultural issues - really, do you think that Culturally Deaf actors aren't going to say "this isn't right, or this would be better like this" is they read something in the script that doesn't make sense from a Deaf point of view? Somehow I doubt the cast would go "this is all wrong, it gives people the wrong message,but ok".

We as the Deaf community would be far better off supporting S@Bs efforts and supplying positive constructive suggestions, instead of nitpicking and childishly "complaining" about even thing that we personally see as "not right" compared to our own experiences.

The goal of this show is to introduce Deaf culture to those who don't think it even exists ...to show that being deaf isn't a tragedy, just a difference, and that we CAN do anything.

S@B is NOT a documentary, its a tv show. It's meant to make people see that while our Deafness is part of us, we aren't so very different or isolated as many hearing people my think.

For those who are Culturally Deaf from birth and want to make sure there are DODA etc consultants giving input on the show - email and ask if you can volunteer as a consultant. Either offer to HELP, or have faith that the many culturally Hoh/Deaf cast members (and additional ASL Masters) are already making sure that the Deaf Voice is being heard during scripting and filming.

We want MORE shows like S@B Featuring ASL ...ripping apart the first show to do this because it's not perfect doesn't help us achieve that goal

Last edited:
Daphne, is a character who represents the culturally deaf community in her own way, the same goes for Emmett, Melody, and Travis. Do you think Travis represents the culturally deaf community as a guy who loathes hearing people, hates them for what they have "done to him" and that Deaf people are like that? No, of course not. Travis grew up with hearing parents who didn't sign. Ah, a clue. And then look at Emmett and his Deaf parents. And then you have Daphne with a hearing parent who signs, who advocated early in the show against Daphne's biological father that she doesn't need CI and is comfortable being deaf. There are a lot things in the show that educate the public about deafness and the signing culture.

We recently just discovered this show and my DH & I have been watching the first season at the ABC Family web site. :popcorn: I was so pleased to see the closed captioning for spoken dialogue as well as the captioning for the signed dialogue. I agree it's not perfect, but it is nice to see the issues of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing addressed in a regular TV show. :thumb: I hope they get more into this aspect besides the ongoing teen and family drama as well.

The general population consists of hearing people, and most of them want to see drama, so drama sells. Producers don't give a rat's ass whether fictional shows mirror reality as long as viewers will watch the shows.....more viewers means more money from advertisers. Most US produced shows are shown all over the world, so you have millions watching.

I had to laugh while watching one episode of House where a patient lost his hearing while being treated, they implanted a cochlear implant the following day, and he got his hearing back the next day....which is far from reality.

The general population consists of hearing people, and most of them want to see drama, so drama sells. Producers don't give a rat's ass whether fictional shows mirror reality as long as viewers will watch the shows.....more viewers means more money from advertisers. Most US produced shows are shown all over the world, so you have millions watching.

I had to laugh while watching one episode of House where a patient lost his hearing while being treated, they implanted a cochlear implant the following day, and he got his hearing back the next day....which is far from reality.

Very true! I agree! :gpost: At least S@B is *something* a bit more "real" due to actual signing and actual Deaf actors in some roles, and not as totally unrealistic as that House episode (yes, we saw it, too! :doh:). Hopefully S@B does some good in educating people, even a little bit, about the struggles of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. I've seen Marlee Matlin in Law & Order episodes, as well, that dealt with some issues from real life, too. But as you say, it's just another TV drama. It meant something *more* to me, with hearing loss, and maybe to others who are Deaf or HOH, but for the general public, maybe just entertainment, in one eye ball and ear, and out the other. :P

TV programing...I watch CC movies, The Simpsons(1989-present), NCIS, Fringe, Downton Abby etc.
I've given up on a lot of modern Hollywood movies, usually watch old Hollywood or go to the foreign section of Netflix.

To touch back on PBS since I did mention Downton Abby, PBS really jerks my chain in that as liberal and whiney as they are you'd think they would offer up ALL their movies and specials in CC.

We saw that House episode, too. :roll: Like people in real life, fully hearing, who think because I wear two hearing aids, hey, my hearing is fully and magically restored. Again, :roll: right? Nope, no "Star Trek" here... And I also agree that the majority of TV shows will be aimed at a certain demographic, whether age or culture. And "different" only suits them if it is a popular show to a wide audience (like Switched). It's all about the $$$, right?

It's really ridiculous about petition, really the show is not perfect as what everyone said above, but really it's all about broad spectrum of deaf characteristics in this world. There are wide range of intelligent, hearing, and speech levels. So the viewers can see how they all live that way while growing up. I understand that this show is not true 100 percents culturally Deaf and I don't know if they want to show embarrassing behavior, or frequent misunderstanding between the two, deaf bashing, AFA against EHDI and so on.
Do you all want to show that on TV? I don't know. Right now with petition, it's like what AFA is doing...

I saw something pretty real portrayed on Switched, in one of the Season 1 episodes. Where Emmet gets arrested for the birthday graffiti he did for Bay on an empty billboard. The police came screeching up his driveway while he had the garage door open & was working on his motorcycle. They put the spotlight on him, and were yelling at him to drop his "weapon" which was a wrench he was using (he was trying to see beyond the light and had no clue who it was). The police took him to be belligerent and resisting address and threw him to the ground and handcuffed his hands behind his back. It was terrifying even though I knew it was fiction. And I have read actual news stories of these things happening...so I know it happens. :eek2: IMO, that's educational for the audience watching this eposide, and people, (in particular police officers, maybe?) should take note. :werd: Likely it hit me hard because I could imagine if someone came up behind me, as in a police officer, shouting commands I did not hear (my hearing aids only have microphones in the front, after all), and what might happen if assumptions were made about my ignoring behavior. :hmm: Because of my own hearing loss, I could at least see the possibilities of this happening in real life, so maybe this episode hit me harder than it might a fully hearing person? Dunno.

It's really ridiculous about petition, really the show is not perfect as what everyone said above, but really it's all about broad spectrum of deaf characteristics in this world. There are wide range of intelligent, hearing, and speech levels. So the viewers can see how they all live that way while growing up. I understand that this show is not true 100 percents culturally Deaf and I don't know if they want to show embarrassing behavior, or frequent misunderstanding between the two, deaf bashing, AFA against EHDI and so on.
Do you all want to show that on TV? I don't know. Right now with petition, it's like what AFA is doing...

I think it'd make a great drama and an eye opener for the public, too. :lol:

This seems a little ridiculous. People will always find something to complain about. Also, Katie Leclerc is HoH, not hearing. Of course it's not going to be perfect--IT'S TV!!!

We're still hooked, LOL! :laugh2: Saw something that they are back on set, filming. I am hoping the next season begins in June like the first season did. Anybody know? :bump:

Back