Sunnybrook and Bilaterals???

EQL - Very interesting that AB is not currently being implanted in TO...I will have to ask about that when I go next week....I was told Cochlear was out due to beaurocratic reasons from the powers that be...likely funding as you mentioned

I was not told AB wasnt being implanted currently...makes sense though...why install a potentially defective product (I need to do some reading on the recall obviously).

So looks like if I want to go ahead in the near future Med-El it is...which there is nothing perse wrong with....

Reading a Blog post elsewhere it seems like Med-El is the smaller lighter option anyways

EQL - Very interesting that AB is not currently being implanted in TO...I will have to ask about that when I go next week....I was told Cochlear was out due to beaurocratic reasons from the powers that be...likely funding as you mentioned

I was not told AB wasnt being implanted currently...makes sense though...why install a potentially defective product (I need to do some reading on the recall obviously).

So looks like if I want to go ahead in the near future Med-El it is...which there is nothing perse wrong with....

Reading a Blog post elsewhere it seems like Med-El is the smaller lighter option anyways

AB is not supposed to be implanted anywhere at the moment, as all of the implants were supposed to be returned to AB. Yes Cochlear is not being funded for bureaucratic reasons which is why the current choice is only Med-El.
*EQL*

One clarification to David Shipp's comment re: "paying for your own-second- Cochlear Implant" if Sunnybrook "declined". No one- to last year has actually requested to pay whatever the "adjusted" cost for the entire second operation. The other hypothesis: Does the fact-no request to pay for their own implant-suggest perhaps that all "rejected patients" accept the reasoning given by Sunnybrook? Seems like a logical inference.

No I haven't been part of a discussion on this matter- I was accepted.

Changed since? Cheaper in the United States/Europe/Asia/South America/Mexico?

I haven't followed up as I have no desire for a second implant-personally.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
One clarification to David Shipp's comment re: "paying for your own-second- Cochlear Implant" if Sunnybrook "declined". No one- to last year has actually requested to pay whatever the "adjusted" cost for the entire second operation.

Changed since? Cheaper in the United States/Europe/Asia/South America/Mexico?

I haven't followed up as I have no desire for a second implant-personally.

im curious on this..... how would you know if one requested to pay for it or not?

Is there some canadian version of hipaa violation taking place here?

No one would know that information if no one has requested to pay for another implant that's confidential information that no one is supposed to give out..maybe drphils psychic. But I have asked if someone is able to pay for their own CI and you are not, not a first CI or a 2nd

David Shipp's comment re whether any person actually paid $55,000 CDN(then) for a SECOND IMPLANT if declined by Sunnybrook/Toronto. The question was asked by member at the meeting. David is the coordinator there and would have "some knowledge". He has been there only 18 years-right from the beginning. I don't recall any further discussion on this matter-at the meeting.

Presumably" one" might want to pay for their own implant IF Sunnybrook said "one" is part of the 60% percent rejected for one reason or other. I would surmise "one" went to the United States for their Implant. Why would "one" want Sunnybrook to implant?

I don't have access to any patients record at Sunnybrook/Toronto-no interest whatsoever.

No I am not psychic. Just paid attention to the discussion at the recent Cochlear Implant patients meeting- which I attended.

Back