Sudden Hearing Loss after Progressive Hearing Loss Newbie

jg1876

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was born hearing, experienced hearing loss right around the same time I started speaking, but always heard exceptionally well with a hearing aid in my left ear. My right ear was more or less useless. After two additional hearing losses in my "hearing" ear as an adult, I had a cochlear implant surgery for my right ear as a back up, because it was assumed I was likely to lose the rest of my hearing in my left.

Unfortunately, I was not motivated to do much with the implant because I heard so well with the hearing aid, even after the successive losses. And of course, then came the big one that put my left ear squarely in the profound category of hearing loss, to the point where I can't do any of the things I used to be able to do - talk on the phone with family members, listen to the television and play games on my phone simultaneously without missing too much, etc, tell what I'm hearing versus what might be tinnitus, etc. This all happened just a week ago.

I am trying to find resources to cope with this major change and I seem to be striking out. I am also on a steroid taper, which I am not a fan of, as I feel like it's adding to my mental state. Fortunately, it's only for another week or so, so I am hoping that will alleviate my stress.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if people can share their stories or what they did to adapt or get used to having to make these significant adjustments? I'm not an anxious person, but I am the type of person who likes to have a game plan to cope with stressful situations, and aside from follow up appointments with my doctors to assess the loss and get a new CI, I feel like I am a bit limited on resources.

For reference - I'm in the Baltimore metro area, have terrific doctors at Hopkins, and have a great job that is being totally flexible with me while I try to figure out my next steps and how to adapt to these new circumstances. But it's more about the adjustment period of what feels like should be there and no longer isn't that is the hardest pill for me to swallow right now.

Back