substituting or is this what he hears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip>
Sounds like to me that she's doing all she can with the options she has, which is ASL, hearing aids, speech therapy, DHH program, etc etc. The fact he's lagging in speech doesn't mean he has other problems, it just means he's only 4.

I agree with one possible exception. I wonder if a bi-bi school is available nearby?

I grew up HH and I also know first hand how difficult it is to be instructed through your weakest sense.

dhn121, just want to say -- you sound like a great mom! :)

I understand he has only had his hearing aids for one year, but he is 4. If you want him to catch up, he needs to be gaining very quickly.

The language skills of four-year-olds expand rapidly. They begin communicating in complex and compound sentences, have very few pronunciation errors and expand their vocabularies daily. They can follow multi-step directions and understand explanations given for things they can see. Four-year-olds frequently initiate conversations and are less likely to change the subject of conversation to areas of personal interest. They are also getting better at sharing personal experiences without prompts from adults.
Four-year-olds are building their knowledge of written language. They want to know what words in their environment say and can recognize many letters. By the end of this year, many children understand that letters represent the sounds in spoken words and may associate some letters with their sounds. Most children also are capable of writing some legible letters and know that writing goes from left-to-right and top to bottom.
Four-year-olds have an increased capacity for learning math concepts. They use logical reasoning to solve everyday problems and can effectively use language to compare and describe objects and shapes. They can count to "ten," recognize written numerals "0" to "9" and add and subtract using numbers up to "four." Four-year-olds know some variations of a circle, square, triangle and rectangle. They know days of the week, months and the seasons, but still cannot tell time.

This are the skills he should have.

I understand that he has only been hearing for a year, but is he gaining at a speed that he is getting close to this? If not, he isn't hearing well enough, so you need to sign so he can get the language he needs.

congnitive he's either at or above 4 year level. expressive language he's at a 3 year old level. articulation he's at 2 year level. he can count and recognize his numbers up to 5. he knows 1/3 of his alphabet. he knows most of his shapes (not oval or rectangle).

he is follow 2 step commands. with 3 kids I can't always get down to his level and speak to him. so even when I'm standing more than an arms lenghts, I can tell him to do something and he'll do it (without visual cues). He keeps up with his brother and sister. I usually give each of them different things to do so that we can get things done.

in 1 year he's gained a lot. he went from having just 2 or 4 words expressively to over 300 words. he askes "where", "what" and "how" on a regular basis. he's stringing 2 to 3 words together. Is making short complete sentences.

I guess what i'm trying to understand is why wouldn't they implant him if he has no access to the 4000 hz. even aided he has no access to it. so why wouldn't they implant him. what is the reason behind it.

congnitive he's either at or above 4 year level. expressive language he's at a 3 year old level. articulation he's at 2 year level. he can count and recognize his numbers up to 5. he knows 1/3 of his alphabet. he knows most of his shapes (not oval or rectangle).

he is follow 2 step commands. with 3 kids I can't always get down to his level and speak to him. so even when I'm standing more than an arms lenghts, I can tell him to do something and he'll do it (without visual cues). He keeps up with his brother and sister. I usually give each of them different things to do so that we can get things done.

in 1 year he's gained a lot. he went from having just 2 or 4 words expressively to over 300 words. he askes "where", "what" and "how" on a regular basis. he's stringing 2 to 3 words together. Is making short complete sentences.

I guess what i'm trying to understand is why wouldn't they implant him if he has no access to the 4000 hz. even aided he has no access to it. so why wouldn't they implant him. what is the reason behind it.

Your audiologist should be able to explain that to you. From what I understand, if a child gets no benefits whatsoever from hearing aids, then he qualifies for an implant. I could be wrong but that is what I was told. Is he profoundly deaf in both ears?

Your audiologist should be able to explain that to you. From what I understand, if a child gets no benefits whatsoever from hearing aids, then he qualifies for an implant. I could be wrong but that is what I was told. Is he profoundly deaf in both ears?

moderate to profound, sloping sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. with the right ear profound in the 120 db and pround in the left ear in the 95db

I did a little research and found ci qualification.jpg so in the 1000 - 3000 hz he's not profound he's severe. Guess that's why he doesn't qualify.

I did ask the AuD that question but she passed it off saying it's FDA's regulation.

I agree with one possible exception. I wonder if a bi-bi school is available nearby?

I grew up HH and I also know first hand how difficult it is to be instructed through your weakest sense.

dhn121, just want to say -- you sound like a great mom! :)

I tried the total communiction class but the teacher in that class seems to sign more than speak. most of the kids in that class sign as a main form of communication. I really want to give him as much access to speech as he can get right now. in the total communication class there are 6 kids. in the oral class there are 3 kids and their focus is on speech. they're older than him by 1 year so he gets a lot to model after in the oral class. he picks up a lot of sign with me and does so very quickly. we both learn together. I know he would pick up so much more if he was in the total communication class. I know he'll get/pick up sign without any problem. I just want to focus more on speech than sign because I know he tends to sign rather than speak even at home because it's easier to do so.

I am almost 65 years old and I still substitute letters or add letters that belong in a word. I add 't' after an 's' so when I tell my dogs to 'sit' people think I am
saying 'shit'! My daughter said sound that! People would look :shock: when I told Finlay to 'sit' when I had him in a store.

moderate to profound, sloping sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. with the right ear profound in the 120 db and pround in the left ear in the 95db

I did a little research and found View attachment 16497 so in the 1000 - 3000 hz he's not profound he's severe. Guess that's why he doesn't qualify.

I did ask the AuD that question but she passed it off saying it's FDA's regulation.

He's not in the green area?

I tried the total communiction class but the teacher in that class seems to sign more than speak. most of the kids in that class sign as a main form of communication. I really want to give him as much access to speech as he can get right now. in the total communication class there are 6 kids. in the oral class there are 3 kids and their focus is on speech. they're older than him by 1 year so he gets a lot to model after in the oral class. he picks up a lot of sign with me and does so very quickly. we both learn together. I know he would pick up so much more if he was in the total communication class. I know he'll get/pick up sign without any problem. I just want to focus more on speech than sign because I know he tends to sign rather than speak even at home because it's easier to do so.

Ok, I just want to make sure I got this straight - he WAS in TC but you took him out and put him in oral?

It is about the child's deaf needs not your hearing needs. I grew up orally and I missed out so much and it made my life very difficult. Then, I learned ASL (sign language) and I use it 99% of the time in my daily life. I have never felt so much happier and much much relaxed in my life since then.

Just saying...

It is about the child's deaf needs not your hearing needs. I grew up orally and I missed out so much and it made my life very difficult. Then, I learned ASL (sign language) and I use it 99% of the time in my daily life. I have never felt so much happier and much much relaxed in my life since then.

Just saying...

Exactly and he's definitely not going to learn to speak better in an oral class - it's not a speech therapy environment - if indeed being in oral class makes one speak better, then AVT and all that would be pointless and redundant.

Meanwhile, inability to understand teacher and peers is going to affect him socially and psychologically not to mention he's going to struggle education-wise if he can't understand what the teacher is saying.

I am very concerned if indeed this boy was taken out of TC and put into oral. Not a good move for a child who can barely hear.

I don't believe that is the case here. She is saying that he is unintelligible and he is 4 years old. He has a severe-profound loss and limited speech understanding. If she wants an implant for him she may have to pursue it, but if she doesn't, it is my opinion that she needs to sign more because he isn't hearing enough to rely on his hearing for understanding language.

By restricting the child to an oral-only environment, he is at risks for language delays.

Sign language is very very important for him to ensure that he doesnt end up with language delays or deficits.

Exactly and he's definitely not going to learn to speak better in an oral class - it's not a speech therapy environment - if indeed being in oral class makes one speak better, then AVT and all that would be useless and redundant.

Meanwhile, inability to understand teacher and peers is going to affect him socially and psychologically not to mention he's going to struggle education-wise if he can't understand what the teacher is saying.

I am very concerned if indeed this boy was taking out of TC and put into oral. Not a good move for a child who can barely hear.

I know...*sighs*

It is those kids whom end up back in the signing programs after struggling for years with the oral-only program but with severe language delays or deficits.

I know...*sighs*

It is those kids whom end up back in the signing programs after struggling for years with the oral-only program but with severe language delays or deficits.

And you would know, you not only grew up oral and mainstreamed like me but you're also currently a teacher of deaf kids.

And you would know, you not only grew up oral and mainstreamed like me but you're also currently a teacher of deaf kids.

And in a BiBi program. I refuse to work under the oral-only philosophy for the idealogy it stands behind.

Requirements for children are more stringent than for adults. Being considered a potential candidate just gets you to the point of having an evaluation, then the MRI, CT scans, hearing aid trials, and a whole lot more testing comes into play.

Following are some basic criteria for initial screening for a CI, although each clinic / audi would take individual situations into consideration (these apply to people who don't receive benefit from hearing aids):

Adults (18 years of age and older)
• Moderate to Profound SNHL, bilaterally
• 50% or less - sentence recognition - in the ear to be implanted
• 60% or less - sentence recognition - in the opposite ear or binaurally
• Pre-linguistic or post-linguistic onset of moderate-to-profound SNHL
• No medical contraindications
• A desire to hear

Pediatrics (25 months to 17 years 11 months)
• Severe to Profound SNHL, bilaterally
• MLNT scores of 30% or less in best-aided condition (children 25 months to 4 yrs. 11 months)
• LNT scores of 30% or less in best-aided condition (children 5 yrs. to 17 yrs. 11 months)
• Lack of progress in the development of auditory skills
• High motivation and appropriate expectations (both child when appropriate and family)

12 Months to 24 Months
• Profound SNHL, bilaterally
• Limited benefit from appropriate binaural hearing aids
• Lack of progress in the development of auditory skills
• High motivation and appropriate expectations from family

Requirements for children are more stringent than for adults. Being considered a potential candidate just gets you to the point of having an evaluation, then the MRI, CT scans, hearing aid trials, and a whole lot more testing comes into play.

Wow, the MLNT and LNT both are open-set tests. Those are so much harder than the ESP. OP, perhaps you should ask your audiologist to administer one of those tests, then you can have a sure answer.

Wow, the MLNT and LNT both are open-set tests. Those are so much harder than the ESP. OP, perhaps you should ask your audiologist to administer one of those tests, then you can have a sure answer.

I'll do that. thanks

Ok, I just want to make sure I got this straight - he WAS in TC but you took him out and put him in oral?

that's a bad thing?

I was told by the professional that he needs access to sound and learns from other kids. The TC teacher showed me a bunch of studies that points back to how TC is really better. The speech pathologist gave a bunch of studies that shows how access to speech/oral is better. Everyone told me there's no reason he couldn't speak and be a part of everything and be caught up. He still had plenty of time.

To be honest I didn't know anyone who was DHH unless they're a SR who even wore hearing aids. I didn't even know about CI until we found out about our son was. So for the first 3-6 months I was reading and trying to learn everything on my own. a lot of information was given and they all kind of contradict each other. All very confusing. All very new and overwhelming. kicking myself for not knowing he couldn't hear me. I remember during that time, everyone I met with a child with hearing aids or CI, I would ask, when did you know.

I honestly did not know. His older brother didn't speak until 3. went right to reading and doing complete sentences at 3 1/2. I tested him, went through all that worring asking and checking why he was speaking. turns out he just didn't feel like it. my mom told me I did the same thing. so when my youngest came along, I didn't think anything of it. and kept saying he'll just do it on his own time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back