substituting or is this what he hears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, not sure why you are posting about Rick's daughter knowing ASL as though it's a bad thing or something to ridicule or somehow undermines how successful she is as a person. You do know that people with CIs can also use ASL, right? If I remember right -- going back 4-5 years or so, Rick once said that his family exposed his daughter to ASL, and it's been her decision to use it or not throughout her life. What do you mean by 'we all know what that reason is?' :hmm:

Second, why are you posting about someone else's child, one you don't know, to begin with? Let's say I took it upon myself to say -- hypothetically-speaking --"Oh, PFH's deaf daughter has attended an oral/mainstream program for years for a reason and we all know what that reason is"? It wouldn't be a negative thing to say where she is placed, if you've brought up her placement, but it would be odd to assume that I or anyone else may know the reasons behind your family's decision or your daughter's decisions.

Why are you so defensive?

I point out the fact for the need of ASL. The reason I "posted about someone's child" is because that someone talked about his child, and left half of the story out, making things look peachy. I was just simply filling it in.

Is the need for ASL a bad thing, Grendel?

First, not sure why you are posting about Rick's daughter knowing ASL as though it's a bad thing or something to ridicule or somehow undermines how successful she is as a person. You do know that people with CIs can also use ASL, right? If I remember right -- going back 4-5 years or so, Rick once said that his family exposed his daughter to ASL, and it's been her decision to use it or not throughout her life. What do you mean by 'we all know what that reason is?' :hmm:

Second, why are you posting about someone else's child, one you don't know, to begin with? Let's say I took it upon myself to say -- hypothetically-speaking --"Oh, PFH's deaf daughter has attended an oral/mainstream program for years for a reason and we all know what that reason is"? It wouldn't be a negative thing to say where she is placed, if you've brought up her placement, but it would be odd to assume that I or anyone else may know the reasons behind your family's decision or your daughter's decisions.

Defensive much? I was told just the other day to stop butting in on other posters' posts. Maybe you should follow some of that same advice. PFH is right, half the story was left out. It makes for a difference in new parents coming here to read and understanding.

Defensive much? I was told just the other day to stop butting in on other posters' posts. Maybe you should follow some of that same advice. PFH is right, half the story was left out. It makes for a difference in new parents coming here to read and understanding.

Good idea! I second the person who told you to stop butting into other people's posts. :)

But , I'm interested in knowing why some people think it's important to fill in information about other people's children. Do you think that when I post about the importance of using ASL and the amazing education my daughter receives at a bi-bi school, there should be an ombudsman, or a collection of posters who immediately jump in to add that my daughter is fluent in English and has 2 CIs that provide amazing access to sound? Or who feel it's necessary to add that my daughter's grasp of Mandarin is pretty crappy and she hasn't practiced piano all week? And that they should then add leading comments, such as "and we all know the reason for that ... ?" And say that I'm only providing half the story if I don't mention other facts about my daughter.

Good idea! I second the person who told you to stop butting into other people's posts. :) [/I]"

Then you need to start butting out too. Do you understand what a 2-way street means?

I wish the oral-only philosophy was banned...it just brings out ugly feelings for many of us.

Yes. You have to wonder why, the minute she leaves home, she goes and learns ASL.

Or why so many graduates of the oral school for the deaf in my town went on to learn ASL and make friends with other deaf people who went to non-oral schools for the deaf.

I think the point being made here is that ASL is important, no matter what.

Or why so many graduates of the oral school for the deaf in my town went on to learn ASL and make friends with other deaf people who went to non-oral schools for the deaf.

I'll like to correct you on that.. IT IS the point being made.

Oh and... Why so many students with CI's are attending Gallaudet?

Same here, I know many former oralists went on to learn ASL after leaving the nest.

Same here, I know many former oralists went on to learn ASL after leaving the nest.

Yeah, when I went to a big deaf meet a while ago, I was so happy to see all these oral school graduates sitting around signing and having a blast socializing with others - it was an even mix of oral graduates and deaf school graduates - all getting along wonderfully. This is how it should always be.

Such a huge difference from being in a setting where the one deaf person is sitting there, quiet, left out and unhappy - unable to follow everything hearing people are saying and feeling like a burden or an annoyance if they dared to ask someone to repeat themselves.

Yeah, when I went to a big deaf meet a while ago, I was so happy to see all these oral school graduates sitting around signing and having a blast socializing with others - it was an even mix of oral graduates and deaf school graduates - all getting along wonderfully. This is how it should always be.

Such a huge difference from being in a setting where the one deaf person is sitting there, quiet, left out and unhappy - unable to follow everything hearing people are saying and feeling like a burden or an annoyance if they dared to ask someone to repeat themselves.

Yes..who the f%$# wants to be isolated like that? Anyone who supports that idea is an a$$ in my book.

Oh and... Why so many students with CI's are attending Gallaudet?

You act like if someone chooses to use ASL their implant or spoken language background is a failure. Why? Why can't they simply want to have both? Just because someone chooses to use ASL doesn't mean they hate speaking or spoken language.

You act like if someone chooses to use ASL their implant or spoken language background is a failure. Why? Why can't they simply want to have both? Just because someone chooses to use ASL doesn't mean they hate speaking or spoken language.

You're completely missing the point. Weird, considering you're a deaf child of deaf adults.

Knowing PFH, that is not the message he is trying to send out. I will just let him clarify...

You're completely missing the point. Weird, considering you're a deaf child of deaf adults.

Not at all. I grew up with ASL, but I choose to hear and speak. Just because I enjoy hanging out with other Deaf people and use ASL, doesn't mean my CIs are a failure. I can actually successfully do both. Just because a kid with a CI decides they want to go to Gallaudet doesn't mean that they regret having an implant or speaking. That is the assumption that PFH is trying to push. He is implying that any person who uses ASL automatically rejects hearing and speaking. That isn't the case, we can actually have both. Learning to sign is not saying that hearing and speaking didn't work or that you hate your aids or implants.

Knowing PFH, that is not the message he is trying to send out. I will just let him clarify...

Then why does he throw it out like an insult? CI users going to Gallaudet or kids learning ASL when they grow up should be celebrated not be seen as a failure of their past.

Then why does he throw it out like an insult? CI users going to Gallaudet or kids learning ASL when they grow up should be celebrated not be seen as a failure of their past.

He's not saying it's a failure, he's saying it's undeniable how important a visual language is to people who can't hear. And that it says something when even CI people who do have rather decent hearing prefer to go to Gaulladet and not a hearing university. You're right, it should be celebrated that they want to learn ASL. It shouldn't be celebrated that for many, they learned only after they left home and had suffered in mainstreamed. We'd rather that this doesn't happen in the first place.

Long history with these parents...he is not doing as an insult but making a point about their needs for the oral-only approach.

Not at all. I grew up with ASL, but I choose to hear and speak. Just because I enjoy hanging out with other Deaf people and use ASL, doesn't mean my CIs are a failure. I can actually successfully do both. Just because a kid with a CI decides they want to go to Gallaudet doesn't mean that they regret having an implant or speaking. That is the assumption that PFH is trying to push. He is implying that any person who uses ASL automatically rejects hearing and speaking. That isn't the case, we can actually have both. Learning to sign is not saying that hearing and speaking didn't work or that you hate your aids or implants.

Just as wearing hearing aids or a CI doesn't mean that ASL is a 'failure', neither does learning ASL mean that CIs or hearing aids are a 'failure'. Attending NTID or Gallaudet doesn't mean that hearing aids are a 'failure.' It's a very odd way of putting things to suggest that these things are somehow mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back