strong cliques in Deaf community

That is horrible......Deaf ID and Deaf autistic (classic autism) I could understand since ID tends to be on a different level then normal IQ people, and classic autism, (note I said classic...NOT high functioning autism/Aspergers) I ALSO could understand since they may not have the best social skills.....but why the not accepting DB?
I don't know for sure. Maybe it's a subset of how the hearing feel about deaf. The deaf don't know how to deal with it or act or are ignorant..."they're different than us!" sort of vibe. Some deaf have zero patience to sit with a deafblind person who may require tactile sign or close up sign. Conversations might be a little slower or turn by turn (not always true though from what I remember lol).

I do think for some Deaf too that they have an underlying fear of losing vision and DeafBlind might remind them of that so they run the other way. Also with DeafBlind they do need assistance in getting around or going places- I have noticed that DB folks tend to be more isolated and people (both deaf and hearing) tend to forget or don't want the 'burden' of driving them everywhere etc.

Im deafblind the community is like this you have some who will sign with me im included thanks to my guide dog bracking the ice in a gathering they ask me questions.then you have som defies that stay away from like i have simething that tbey gonna get .its like this people are people dont take it personal i dont i need to use palm on palm so i have to just see who chat tbats all im not going to just sit there ,especially if i have my guide dog to get me through a social setting .there is always someone who knows someone who is deafblind the deaf community is not that big .everyo e knowd everyone .

I've been to 3-5 Deaf events a month. I would often bring an ASL students with me. They would frown on that.

Who are you to decide that? :roll: There are several members here who consider themselves late-deafened because their hearing loss was mild (HOH) at first, and then became much worse later. Why should this OP be any different (in her case, AFTER high school.)

Um why are you being so snotty to me?
It's simple. They never heard normally, never had a normal audiogram....so they weren't ever hearing. Yes, they had more hearing then an audilogically deaf person, but they also never had perfect hearing person hearing.

It's simple. They never heard normally, never had a normal audiogram....so they weren't ever hearing. Yes, they had more hearing then an audilogically deaf person, but they also never had perfect hearing person hearing.

Many people seem to think HoH that is corrected with hearing aids means those people can hear just as well as a hearing person. That is false.

Not being snotty, at least not on purpose. You have a habit of over-assuming posters' backgrounds (especially newbies.) She did say she was a toddler when diagnosed, it is possible she had normal hearing at first. But you don't know that because you didn't ask.

It's the same as you picking on another poster for wanting to learn BSL and you asked why, when they live in Massachusetts. Let her learn BSL if she wants to. I live in America, yet I'm learning the Swedish language just because I want to.

I have run across it again in this thread and am upset by it. That is those making blanket statements. Hearing is such an individual thing that varies from person to person.

There is NO way for any of us to know how complete a correction anyone else's hearing aid and or CI gives!

Also, people that do not test as having a hearing loss also hear differently from person to person. I do not believe there is such a thing as "perfect" hearing.

Last edited:
I think far back than 1970s? :hmm:

Far back is less noticeable because of deaf clubs, and deaf events. I think technologies like FACEBOOK, VP, emails, texts, FaceTime help deaf people to build up cliques easily such as making plans, events without anyone knowing, but still deaf people are small world, they will eventually find out that they were not invited :lol:

Deaf cliques has been around since 1970. Nothing new.

Prob since the caves,when the prehistoric hairy Deafies had their cliques, in those caves with all the hand paintings...
Most likey a caveman Deaf club of the old school...

Prob since the caves,when the prehistoric hairy Deafies had their cliques, in those caves with all the hand paintings...

Not them, they just got exposed on hillsides as infants.

What if the sound didn't exist during the prehistoric era until the meteor crashed Earth, everything are gone and then there's sonic boom from meteor crash created the sound on Earth.... :cool2:

Too much! :lol:

A misconception I had when starting hanging around the Deaf community, that it would be more close-knit & like family. Nope, I was wrong. Full of cliques just like in the hearing world.

I'm HoH and lived mostly in the hearing world up to a few years ago after losing my job & then started surrounding myself in the Deaf community.

There are Deaf events hosted, weekly, monthly and a few yearly events. Even there people act snobby hanging around with their clique or be nice to your face but behind your back, they don't talk to you or be included in their private invitations like a birthday party or Holidays like 4th of July or New Year's

I don't believe the word 'Misconception' would be the word for your case as how you're using it. I would however use the word 'Naive' because what makes you think the hearing world is any different than the deaf world? The only utter difference is the fact that we are unable to hear, but nonetheless we are still humans for that matter and still do things hearing people do - with a tiny slight difference! We 'deaf' are not an indigenous people that would be any different than the hearing people which would make us any different or perhaps, easy to talk too and get along with!

That is what your misconception is: 'Assuming something is different on the other-side without actually immersing your-self in it to begin with fully to get the full picture'. As they say, never judge a book by its cover my friend!

There will always be "cliques" in life! You either fit in or you don't fit but that doesn't mean to let it get you down because you thought wrong. You'll always fit in somewhere! You just need to be patience and find it. You also need to be more spoken and if you want something, you go for it! Don't expect things to fall down in your lap, be invited to parties, be invited to games, drinks etc. You go for it.

Forgive me if this may sound harsh in anyway as I don't mean no offense at all to you or anyone for that matter since we are on this topic! I am simply stating the facts as it is!

:wave:

I have to agree with Mega above as far as the terminology.

I find it interesting that I don't seem to see that here where I live. We have hundreds of d/Deaf here in this metro area, and I don't notice "cliques". I seem to fit in no matter what gathering I'm at. I suppose the term "Minnesota Nice" (that slang word actually exists here in MN!) actually fits. I even see it on bumper stickers :)

But anyway, I do agree that it doesn't matter if you're d/Deaf or hearing, there are cliques everywhere. I guess I just don't see it much in my community. There are some people I choose to ignore, but that's based on a specific individual/personality that I may not like.

Far back is less noticeable because of deaf clubs, and deaf events. I think technologies like FACEBOOK, VP, emails, texts, FaceTime help deaf people to build up cliques easily such as making plans, events without anyone knowing, but still deaf people are small world, they will eventually find out that they were not invited :lol:

Cliques are always there since I was a kid. But there were back than 1970s too. For example, Im from NY.. There were clinques such as Fanwoods peeps, Lexington peeps, buffalo peeps, and go on. I think its the same, only different is that technologies bring people to get their attentions about other peeps didn't invite them. Nothing changes. I know.

Back