Stimulation of Communication

DD you win the prize for the cliche riddled post of the year: a hackey sack autographed by jilly herself.

Yes, DD she is just so supportive of all educational methods and choices of communication. It comes across in all of her posts. Just look at how supportive she is of cued speech. BTW what is the color of the sun on your planet?

Yes, she is indeed very "pro-full toolbox" just as long as every tool in that box is ASL.

Yes cuz ASL is the only natural language for deaf children. HMMMMM...to eliminate a language fully accessible for deaf children would be irresponsilbe on her part as a professional. She doesnt say NO to CS, no to oral language.

You should worry that a huge part of the deaf community are very stubborn on the ASL + speech philosophy explained by Jillio. She is just telling you what the majority of deaf people and real reseachers know, and it's the majority of deaf people you really are pissed of at.

If you still do not understand, go to any World Federation of the Deaf congress and speak out your philosophy on a stage. A rain coat is recommended.

I agree..he follows the needs of hearing parents not the needs of deaf children so I dont think he really cares what the majority of the Deaf community feels about.

You should worry that a huge part of the deaf community are very stubborn on the ASL + speech philosophy explained by Jillio. She is just telling you what the majority of deaf people and real reseachers know, and it's the majority of deaf people you really are pissed of at.

If you still do not understand, go to any World Federation of the Deaf congress and speak out your philosophy on a stage. A rain coat is recommended.

Sorry, but not "pissed of (sic)" at any deaf people. However, if that is thier reaction to someone proposing that all options be available to everyone and that parents should utilize those method(s) that are best for their child, then I will pass on the opportunity to be amongst such an enlightened group.

Sorry, but not "pissed of (sic)" at any deaf people. However, if that is thier reaction to someone proposing that all options be available to everyone and that parents should utilize those method(s) that are best for their child, then I will pass on the opportunity to be amongst such an enlightened group.

If you not pissed, you might better not use irony in a bitter way then with "such an enlightened group"? To many of us it just add the impression you strongly dislike the majority of deaf people. :dunno:

Agree 100% about a lot of options. But for the US two options for deaf must be English and ASL I think. English can be reading only if the person doesn't voice, but you need to read and write for a job. Also ASL so you have one language for thinking and communicating without so much struggle. No parent in the US would say "No English", right? So "No ASL" is the same to me - best for the child with a natural language of deaf.

With English and ASL, then CS or other options. But English and ASL are basic tools of a toolbox IMO. :)

The two organizations that I believe in are Nashville's Hearing Loss Association and the League for Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

This the mission and vision of the league of Deaf and Hard of Hearing:

Mission
To unite the Deaf, the Hard of Hearing and the Hearing communities through education, services and support to empower individuals to achieve their full potential. Vision
There are no barriers for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people to reach their goals.

This is what I believe in.

I couldn't agree more. I notice the league of Deaf and Hard of Hearing have a link to NAD, that is a member of WFD, as well to other pro ASL/bilingual organizations like American Sign Language Teachers Assocation, Gallaudet University, Deafed.net, TAD and schools with bi-bi programs. I see no links to specific oral, AVT, CS or cochlear interests. To me, this league are a part of the large major deaf community.

Perhaps is it because the hearing parents not thinking of their deaf child needs 2?

If I was a hearing parents I would give my deaf child the opportunity to learn both ASL and oral, why? because the need is to be able to communicate with them. deaf children speaks for us, we sign for them. it works two ways never one.

I couldn't agree more. I notice the league of Deaf and Hard of Hearing have a link to NAD, that is a member of WFD, as well to other pro ASL/bilingual organizations like American Sign Language Teachers Assocation, Gallaudet University, Deafed.net, TAD and schools with bi-bi programs. I see no links to specific oral, AVT, CS or cochlear interests. To me, this league are a part of the large major deaf community.

I saw that too. What I like is that it includes all people with hearing loss and families. They have an office in my town and I can use them for assistances if I need to. I don't feel I have to just know ASL to be involve with them.

On links, my local site has links to United Way and Vanderbilt. It covers it all.

I did e-mail NAD for information today.

shel90 - It is actually an article in the New York times. Doesn't equate to research for me.

It is research from the Journal of Deaf Education according to Jillo's post. I dont see anything about an article in the New York Times. Pls show me where it says that and I will look again. Thanks.

DD you win the prize for the cliche riddled post of the year: a hackey sack autographed by jilly herself.

Yes, DD she is just so supportive of all educational methods and choices of communication. It comes across in all of her posts. Just look at how supportive she is of cued speech. BTW what is the color of the sun on your planet?

Yes, she is indeed very "pro-full toolbox" just as long as every tool in that box is ASL.

And what exactly is it that you support, A.G. Bell....oops, I mean rick? And,t he tool box is not full unless ASL is included. I guess that's the problem.....you are one tool short in your tool box and it compromises your understanding.

Established in Rome, Italy, in 1951, WFD is an international, non-governmental central organisation of national associations of Deaf people, with a current membership of associations in 127 countries worldwide. Associate members, international members and individual members also make up WFD’s membership base.

WFD’s philosophy is one of equality, human rights and respect for all people, regardless of race, nationality, religion, gender, sexual preference, age and all other differences. WFD supports and promotes in its work the many United Nations conventions on human rights, with a focus on Deaf people who use sign language, and their friends and family. WFD works with the aim of solidarity and unity to make the world a better place.

WFD has consultative status in the United Nations (UN) system, including the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC); the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO); the International Labour Organization (ILO); and the World Health Organization (WHO). WFD also co-operates closely with the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and has representatives on the Panel of Experts on the UN Standard Rules for the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities. WFD is a member of the International Disability Alliance (IDA).

Role:

WFD is an international, non-governmental, central organisation comprising national associations of Deaf people.

At present, emphasis is placed on the following areas:
Improve the status of national sign languages
Better education for Deaf people
Improve access to information and services
Improve human rights for Deaf people in developing countries
Promote the establishment of Deaf organisations where none currently exist
The highest decision making body of WFD is the General Assembly (GA). Every Ordinary Member has the right to send up to two Deaf delegates to attend the GA, held every four years.

The GA is held in conjunction with the quadrennial World Congress of the WFD.

WFD has B-category status with the United Nations and is represented on the following groups:
Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
International Labour Organization (ILO)
World Health Organization (WHO)
Panel of Experts on the UN Standard Rules for the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities
WFD provides expert advice on Deaf issues in its relationship with other international organisations and professional groups.

The legal seat of WFD is in Helsinki, Finland.

Copied from the web site. It states it represents 70 million deaf people. It states they represent people who use sign language.

Yes, dear, because the signing deaf are the ones that are oppressed and discriminated against.

The League is very pro-sign. That is where I learned ASL by hanging out with Deaf members. I also volunteered as a TDD operator in the late 1980's there. That is the organization I reccommended Vallee visit in order to come in contact with the Deaf community in Nashville. I still have one of their framed posters on my wall.....a watercolor of flowers in a vase, and the blooms are made up of various handshapes from ASL. The caption is, "Words blossom, even in silence."

I agree..he follows the needs of hearing parents not the needs of deaf children so I dont think he really cares what the majority of the Deaf community feels about.

Quite obviously.

I saw that too. What I like is that it includes all people with hearing loss and families. They have an office in my town and I can use them for assistances if I need to. I don't feel I have to just know ASL to be involve with them.

On links, my local site has links to United Way and Vanderbilt. It covers it all.

I did e-mail NAD for information today.

United Way supports the Mama Lere Preschool at Bill Wilkerson Speech and Hearing Center, an oral preschool.

The League is very pro-sign. That is where I learned ASL by hanging out with Deaf members. I also volunteered as a TDD operator in the late 1980's there. That is the organization I reccommended Vallee visit in order to come in contact with the Deaf community in Nashville. I still have one of their framed posters on my wall.....a watercolor of flowers in a vase, and the blooms are made up of various handshapes from ASL. The caption is, "Words blossom, even in silence."

I did contact my local office and they seem very supported.

United Way supports the Mama Lere Preschool at Bill Wilkerson Speech and Hearing Center, an oral preschool.

yes, so they support it all. I have a friend and her daughter goes the the preschool. The daughter is hearing and she is enjoying it. From what she told me they not completely oral.

yes, so they support it all. I have a friend and her daughter goes the the preschool. The daughter is hearing and she is enjoying it. From what she told me they not completely oral.

They certainly were when my son was referred. And the last time I checked they were still orally based.

Agree 100% about a lot of options. But for the US two options for deaf must be English and ASL I think. English can be reading only if the person doesn't voice, but you need to read and write for a job. Also ASL so you have one language for thinking and communicating without so much struggle. No parent in the US would say "No English", right? So "No ASL" is the same to me - best for the child with a natural language of deaf.

With English and ASL, then CS or other options. But English and ASL are basic tools of a toolbox IMO. :)
Agreed. There's no escape from the hearing world. I think both lanagues should be the main tools in the toolbox.

Back