Still embarrassed about my CI...

Danb

Reaction score
I've had my CI for 5 years, but i am still extremely self conscious about the way it looks. I am a very small person and it seems like it takes up the whole side of my head. It makes my ear stick way out like Alfred E Newman, from the "MAD" comics. ;)

I am very grateful to have the CI but i still can't stop feeling embarrassed about it.

Is it all in my head? Do people really look at the CI as a weird "star trek-borg"-like device, like i believe they do?

Why not try an off the ear device if you're worried about it making your ears stick out? I have to admit I was a bit skeptical when I first saw pictures of themonline, but I recently saw my first CIs in person while waiting for my daughter's dr apt a couple of weeks ago and they are no where near what I envisioned. Actually, I think they're really cute! I like the bright white or colored ones best, but that's just a personal pref, I think they are all very neat. One little girl I saw (this was a 6 or 7 year old and I'm sure her head was smaller than yours lol) I couldn't hardly see it as it blended in so well with her hair.

You are your own worst critique, I'm sure you look great with it or without it :)

I think i'll look into the off the ear hookup, if i can get it covered by insurance. Seems like it'd be more comfortable, convenient and safer anyways. Mine is always falling off my ear.

I've seen the colored ones, they look pretty good on the kids. Never seen them on adults. Maybe i'll get a florescent green one and be the first. :D

You may be right, people have told me they can't see the CI sometimes. I always assumed they were just patronizing me.

People actually don't look as close to others as you think. When I wore BTE HA, believe it or not, hair back or down, some people had literally no idea I even wore them and I knew them for years....sometimes it's really only you that notices.

Laura

Why should only kids have fun with bright colors? I think the green is super cute, I'm sure it'd look fantastic :D

I think i'll look into the off the ear hookup, if i can get it covered by insurance. Seems like it'd be more comfortable, convenient and safer anyways. Mine is always falling off my ear.

I've seen the colored ones, they look pretty good on the kids. Never seen them on adults. Maybe i'll get a florescent green one and be the first. :D

You may be right, people have told me they can't see the CI sometimes. I always assumed they were just patronizing me.

It looks like a bluetooth headset, so it doesn't always registered in people's minds what it is.

If you are an AB user you should look at the Neptune. It's a great off-the-ear solution.

Do you guys think if i mentioned all this to the people who handle my case at the hospital they would understand and be able to help get the off the ear hardware?

Do you guys think if i mentioned all this to the people who handle my case at the hospital they would understand and be able to help get the off the ear hardware?

It depends on the Center and the device. If you are a Nucleus user, it comes down to ordering the off-the-ear components for your BTE processor on your own, unless your Center allows you to order through them for insurance purposes (I cannot do this with my Center.) If you are an AB-user.. you can either order similar items for the BTE or order the Neptune, which you will need your Center's help and programming for the latter.

Ok thanks. I use "Cochlear" brand. I guess i'll have to ask my case workers.

Is it all in my head? Do people really look at the CI as a weird "star trek-borg"-like device, like i believe they do?

With today's technology, people wonder if I have a new Bluetooth device. They don't care about the earpiece, but they are wondering what the purpose of the round thing stuck to your head is.

I've been wearing CI's for almost 10 years now, and trust me, no one really gives a damn about the CI's. Once people get used to being around you, they don't see the CI anymore...they see you.

If they think you are weird, it is because you are weird, not because you have a CI.

With today's technology, people wonder if I have a new Bluetooth device. They don't care about the earpiece, but they are wondering what the purpose of the round thing stuck to your head is.

I've been wearing CI's for almost 10 years now, and trust me, no one really gives a damn about the CI's. Once people get used to being around you, they don't see the CI anymore...they see you.

If they think you are weird, it is because you are weird, not because you have a CI.

Haha, that could be it, but please don't call me weird... just kidding. :)

The magnet part is just a little larger then a quarter. Most people, even guys can hide that with your hair. Mine, I don't care who sees it. I see it as a badge of courage after all I have been through.

I will be getting a CI soon as long as I pass all the necessary tests. I have shaved my whole head for years (my preference) and if i get a CI, I wouldn't care less what ppl think when they see the processor or magnet. All that matters is we can hear! The way I see it, it's no difference than ppl wearing glasses, tattoos on their head, faces, necks, or piercings on faces. Almost like a fashion statement. The CI is making a statement that we can hear some or almost everything... better than not being able to hear a thing cuz of what someone would think of a CI.
The comment green427 wrote is true.

I know of plenty of adult CI users who like to use bright colors with their CI processors. Shoot, I like colors on mine too! :)

I've had my CI for 5 years, but i am still extremely self conscious about the way it looks. I am a very small person and it seems like it takes up the whole side of my head. It makes my ear stick way out like Alfred E Newman, from the "MAD" comics. ;)

I am very grateful to have the CI but i still can't stop feeling embarrassed about it.

Are you late deafened? Any time I see a CI, I think, "hey, another deaf person" and can usually find the late deaf from how they look really paranoid and hostile if they see you notice the CI.

Are you late deafened? Any time I see a CI, I think, "hey, another deaf person" and can usually find the late deaf from how they look really paranoid and hostile if they see you notice the CI.

:laugh2:

funny-pictures-dont-look-behind-cat.jpg

Since I was 70 years old when I got my Cochlear Implant-late deafened?- I don't recall feeling paranoid/hostile wearing it-since August 2007.

I was never advised at Sunnybrook/Toronto the possibility of becoming "paranoid/hostile" because of it.

Different reactions in different countries?

My implant colour is silver

haha, yeah late deafened. i'm 38. gradual hearing loss for 12 years. deaf for only 2 months, luckily, then implanted into the matrix 5 years ago.

but don't test me because i am definitely hostile!!! oh wait... i've always been that way... i'm mostly Italian. :)

Back