Sticker shock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not talking about the multimillionaire CEO and stockholders. I am talking about good ol fashioned mom and pop businesses being driven into the ground via over-regulation.

You remember those don't you? Mom and Pop restaurants owned by a family? Family owned businesses?

What the hell happened?

Mom and pop stores tend to have less than 50 employees, if you have less than 50 employees you don't have to offer health insurance and this cut hours etc etc wouldn't apply.

The powers that be in Washington aren't concerned with mom and pops, that's not who they're crying for.

Mom and pop stores tend to have less than 50 employees, if you have less than 50 employees you don't have to offer health insurance and this cut hours etc etc wouldn't apply.

The powers that be in Washington aren't concerned with mom and pops, that's not who they're crying for.

Employers with Fewer Than 25 Employees | SBA.gov

Implementation of the Affordable Care Act occurs in stages, with many of the reforms and requirements taking effect in 2013 and 2014. Some of the provisions that may impact employers with fewer than 25 employees include:

Small Business Health Care Tax Credits

The small business Health Care Tax Credit helps small employers afford the cost of health care coverage for their employees and is specifically targeted for those employers with low- and moderate-income workers. The credit is designed to encourage small employers to offer health insurance coverage for the first time or maintain coverage they already have. Since 2010, businesses that have fewer than 25 full-time equivalent employees (FTEs), pay average annual wages below $50,000, and that contribute 50% or more toward employees’ self-only health insurance premiums may qualify for a small business tax credit of up to 35% to help offset the costs of insurance. In 2014, this tax credit goes up to 50% and is available to qualified small employers that participate in the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP). Eligible small employers can claim the current credit through 2013, and the enhanced credit can be claimed for any two consecutive taxable years beginning in 2014 through the SHOP. To calculate your FTEs and average annual wages for the purposes of this credit, refer to this Q&A from IRS. You can also use this Small Business Health Care Credit Estimator to help you find out whether you're eligible for the credit and how much you might receive.

Everybody must have insurance - applies to small businesses.

Foxrac, that is what I am trying to explain.

Hours are being cut ... you are taking less money home. Nationally, people are making less $$$ even though it "appears" that raising the minimum wage will allow people to make more $$$ (it doesn't).

All the talk about greedy capitalist corporations will never change this. You cannot draw blood out of a stone.

Yes, what's pathetic, greedier corporations.

There are plenty of local businesses pay very well with good benefits but usually jobs opportunities will taken - just hard to catch.

My SSDI earn about same as full time worker at minimum wage, so put me between stay with SSDI and do volunteer job, or work at minimum wage. Unfortunately, I have usher syndrome and physical jobs are limited because I don't want deal with many accident incidents, so VR told me that I have to find office jobs (hard to find without college education) or continue with college education.

I think about self-employed, so it could be challenge sometime.

Where you work right now?

Yes, what's pathetic, greedier corporations.

There are plenty of local businesses pay very well with good benefits but usually jobs opportunities will taken - just hard to catch.

My SSDI earn about same as full time worker at minimum wage, so put me between stay with SSDI and do volunteer job, or work at minimum wage. Unfortunately, I have usher syndrome and physical jobs are limited because I don't want deal with many accident incidents, so VR told me that I have to find office jobs (hard to find without college education) or continue with college education.

I think about self-employed, so it could be challenge sometime.

Where you work right now?

I understand your situation Foxrac - my wife is on SSDI (she is profoundly deaf) but she works p/t at a grocery store. I am between jobs right now. I have an interview on October 21 to be a teacher - but if hired, won't start working until next year. Then, I am going to Grad school to get my Master's in Deaf Ed (hopefully).

Right now, I would do anything for a second job - even be a Wal-mart greeter :giggle: I don't care. Just .. stand there and wave. :wave: (welcome to water cough)

I work p/t at a golf course and have another interview with Home Depot. maybe I should hit the road with Papa John's ??? idk. I also do some painting now and then .. but it is NOT something i want to do everyday.

Employers with Fewer Than 25 Employees | SBA.gov

Everybody must have insurance - applies to small businesses.

Actually that doesn't sound bad, if the gov gives them a 50% tax credit that would leave them only paying 25% of the premiums. But notice the word encourage. This sounds to me like they it is not mandatory, it shouldn't because they have less than 59. They're just offering more incentives to encourage them to offer health insurance.

If you click on the link for businesses with more than 50 employees it talks about the penalties for not providing health insurance. Those aren't discussed in the sections with less than 50 employees, because there aren't any.

Actually that doesn't sound bad, if the gov gives them a 50% tax credit that would leave them only paying 25% of the premiums. But notice the word encourage. This sounds to me like they it is not mandatory, it shouldn't because they have less than 59. They're just offering more incentives to encourage them to offer health insurance.

Ambrosia, I know you are trying to help :)

But all those employees are still required to have health insurance whether the company provides it or not. Those people simply cannot afford it, and if they earn over $9,000 a year, they must pay for it.

That means a minimum wage employee working 27 hours a week (the new full time) must pay for their own health insurance ... starting at $180 a month. ($9,396 a year earned, $2,160 spent on healthcare - ironically enough, isn't the fine for not paying $2k?)).

That will break anyone. By spending money on healthcare, and after being taxed, the minimum wage employee easily falls under the threshold of 9k annually (which is the "extreme poverty level") - but because they gross $9,396 annually .... doesn't count.

But all those employees are still required to have health insurance whether the company provides it or not. Those people simply cannot afford it, and if they earn over $9,000 a year, they must pay for it.

That means a minimum wage employee working 27 hours a week (the new full time) must pay for their own health insurance ... starting at $180 a month. ($9,396 a year earned, $2,160 spent on healthcare ).

That will break anyone. By spending money on healthcare, and after being taxed, the minimum wage employee easily falls under the threshold of 9k annually (which is the "extreme poverty level") - but because they gross $9,396 annually .... doesn't count.

Where did you get that 9k amount from? That would put you well below 100% poverty level, they couldn't buy anything from the ACA and could probably qualify for Medicaid. If the premiums are over 8% of your income, the tax is waived. A 2k policy for someone with an income if 9k wouldn't have to pay the tax, that'd be like 40ish% of their income well well well above 8%

But you're right, thank you, I am trying to help. I think there's a lot of misinformation out there about it, hell I'm no expert on it, I keep learning new things about it.

What? Is this a joke that she whines that her insurance premium is going up by only 10%? Didn't she forget that for years, insurance premium goes up more than 10% each year. There are times that the rate goes up 18% in just a year, that is since Nixon decided to resign his presidency.

What? Is this a joke that she whines that her insurance premium is going up by only 10%? Didn't she forget that for years, insurance premium goes up more than 10% each year. There are times that the rate goes up 18% in just a year, that is since Nixon decided to resign his presidency.

Good point

Only $9k in a year?, this would qualify for full assistance from government. That's because it was way below poverty line set by Uncle Sam. If your referring to $90K then that is whole different. Don't mislead here please. Thanks.

That means a minimum wage employee working 27 hours a week (the new full time) must pay for their own health insurance ... starting at $180 a month. ($9,396 a year earned, $2,160 spent on healthcare - ironically enough, isn't the fine for not paying $2k?)).

Show me the fact that no one pays somebody works over 60 hours a week, can you? I find this extremely difficult to believe and misleading! I know several people that works 70, 80 hours week easy, wanna bet? Ask one of nurse at hospital how many hours week they work?

No one can pay a single employee for 60 hours today (unless it is under the table, or it is to an illegal laborer at far below the minimum wage). E-verify, in my State, was an attempt to put an end to what has happened to the construction trade/skilled labor market (topic for another thread I suppose).

[/url]

Where did you get that 9k amount from? That would put you well below 100% poverty level, they couldn't buy anything from the ACA and could probably qualify for Medicaid. If the premiums are over 8% of your income, the tax is waived. A 2k policy for someone with an income if 9k wouldn't have to pay the tax, that'd be like 40ish% of their income well well well above 8%

Are you talking about the States that declined to expand medicaid?

Like Pennsylvania?

The Daily Pennsylvanian :: Affordable Care Act may affect jobs once fully implemented

the $9k threshold has been quite a bit of a conundrum on the Obamacare FB page. People who are making $7.25 an hour are making too much to qualify for subsidies.

Here is why ... because the US Government, in its vast and infinite wisdom, claims that a minimum wage job is gainfully employed.

A minimum wage employee can get a second job.

Suppose they can't find one? SOL. They still have to have health insurance.

Nobody hiring full time? Why are you lying again? This is true BS!

The Daily Pennsylvanian :: Affordable Care Act may affect jobs once fully implemented

With these conditions, some have been afraid that employers will avoid hiring if they are near the 50-employee quota, or that employers will begin to hire more part-time instead of full-time workers so they aren’t penalized. Economists and health care management experts do not all agree on the relative severity of the situation.

I don't know where you have been ... but this exact thing happened several years ago ...

http://www.gmanet.com/FactFile.aspx?CNID=67676

Hey, you said $9K a year have to purchase health insurance, look up the link, and see red font below... Since $9K below the threshold of $9,500, they are exempted from purchasing health insurance mandates.

ObamaCare Mandate: Exemption and Tax Penalty

ObamaCare Mandate: Exemption and Tax Penalty
Find out More About the ObamaCare Mandate and How You Can Qualify for an Exemption from the Tax "Penalty"

ObamaCare Mandate; those who choose not to purchase insurance will have to pay a tax "penalty" unless they qualify for an exemption. Exemptions from ObamaCare's tax "penalty" mandate are available to a number of Americans. Look below to see if your qualify for an exemption.
About ObamaCare Tax Exemptions

The mandate's exemptions cover a variety of people, including: members of certain religious groups and Native American tribes; undocumented immigrants (who are not eligible for health insurance subsidies under the law); incarcerated individuals; people whose incomes are so low they don't have to file taxes (currently $9,500 for individuals and $19,000 for married couples); and people for whom health insurance is considered unaffordable (where insurance premiums after employer contributions and federal subsidies exceed 8% of family income).
How the ObamaCare Mandate Works

Americans who can afford to purchase insurance but chose not to will have to pay an income tax "penalty". This is officially a tax but is also referred to as a "penalty" and a "mandate". The way the ObamaCare mandate works is that any non-exempt who choose to purchase non-qualifying health insurance must pay an income tax surtax at a rate of 1% or $95 in 2014 to 2.5% in 2016 on profitable income above the tax threshold. The total penalty amount cannot exceed the national average of the annual premiums of a "bronze level" health insurance plan on ObamaCare exchanges.
When Does the New ObamaCare Tax "Penalty" Come into Effect?

The New ObamaCare Mandate will be filed on your 2014 tax returns. The ObamaCare Health Insurance Exchange opens on Oct, 1st 2013. Insurance must be purchased during or before 2014 to avoid paying the tax.

Hey, some companies decided to cut from full time to part time LONG LONG LONG before the idea of Obamacare came in America. So, this have nothing to do with Obamacare, it is make up myth!

Want to know why the idea of part time employment started long time ago? That is to avoid giving employee benefits. This is nothing new.

And I debunk your statement that nobody is hiring 60+ hours, and no more full time employment nowadays. This is downright myth. You CAN find full time job, only if you work harder to find one.

I don't know where you have been ... but this exact thing happened several years ago ...

Job Loss in Georgia Among the Nation's Worst

So you believe in just media comments?

Often media would comment something that they predict of upcoming disaster, most of the time they come out just nothing but folly comments.

For instance, there have been media drama about fiscal cliff, and they will bring disaster to our economy earlier this year... Has it happened? Or was it just another joke from media jerks?

BTW, aren't you forgetting that America Media usually don't look at bright or positive side? They usually interest in dark and more negative side just to intimidate Americans, in order to rake up money from advertisers?

Hey, some companies decided to cut from full time to part time LONG LONG LONG before the idea of Obamacare came in America. So, this have nothing to do with Obamacare, it is make up myth!

Want to know why the idea of part time employment started long time ago? That is to avoid giving employee benefits. This is nothing new.

And I debunk your statement that nobody is hiring 60+ hours, and no more full time employment nowadays. This is downright myth. You CAN find full time job, only if you work harder to find one.

You actually have not debunked my statement at all. You reinforced it.

By forcing companies to pay benefits if an employee is full time (remember, we are talking 40 hours here) and time and a half if they work over 40 hours .. how is the ACA benefiting low waged employees by making the new full time 27 hours a week?

All they are doing is cutting low waged employees income ... severely ... and, forcing them to pay for their own insurance. Please read the articles I posted that explained in painstaking detail exactly what corporations are doing now.

I understand your situation Foxrac - my wife is on SSDI (she is profoundly deaf) but she works p/t at a grocery store. I am between jobs right now. I have an interview on October 21 to be a teacher - but if hired, won't start working until next year. Then, I am going to Grad school to get my Master's in Deaf Ed (hopefully).

Right now, I would do anything for a second job - even be a Wal-mart greeter :giggle: I don't care. Just .. stand there and wave. :wave: (welcome to water cough)

I work p/t at a golf course and have another interview with Home Depot. maybe I should hit the road with Papa John's ??? idk. I also do some painting now and then .. but it is NOT something i want to do everyday.

That will be cool if you become teacher. I'm very support of deaf teachers. If I want become teacher, I will consider IT, math or ASL.

Oh yes, the life is real hard.

Stay at home during summer wasn't fun for me and it wasn't pleasant, so I feel that I was under house arrest. I rather to work than stay at home for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back