Stem close or not close?

yeah, it will take years... even other countries are working on it and haven't come close to figuring this out.

All these stem cells topics are getting a little old, boring and repetive. The majority on here probably do NOT want stem cells

Good point

I was just trying to sort dampen it a little by trying to find something that would truthfully state how close of not close stem cells are to any real tretments.

Yep, there's stem cell hype as The Next Best Thing Since Sliced Bread(TM). Realistically, it's a ways off. It'll get here when it gets here. And when it gets here, then we'll really understand where it'll be of value. Til then, enjoy life. :)

"Stem Cell Research

What would you say if I told you doctors can treat cancer, strokes, and Alzheimer's disease? I'm sure you would be very interested in a way of fighting back against these diseases and many more. With stem cell research, this can all be possible. The only problem you ask? Doctors cannot practice this research as effectively as possible due to ethical standards. I believe this needs to be changed.

Stem cell research is a fairly new development in which stem cells can be used to help treat diseases. They can reproduce themselves which is extremely valuable in treating illnesses. The cells use mitosis which creates new cells that are identical to the first. Each new cell brings new weapons in which to fight ailments.

We are wasting a perfect opportunity to act on helping to cure people, but instead are debating ethical issues. Opponents of stem cell research believe that this is a step in the wrong direction and can lead to cloning. The real idea is that these stem cells can eliminate ailments that have been previously incurable. Stem cell research has already been proven effective helping treat leukemia with bone marrow transplants. Eventually it is believed that stem cell research will be able to effectively treat blindness, deafness, spinal cord injuries, and even baldness. Why are we not acting on medical potential of this research?

It is time to take action and begin what could possibly end up being the solution to most diseases. All researchers are asking for is the ability to pursue testing stem cells, but the government offers little support. With proper funding, these dreams of cures can be realized. My only question is: what is holding us back?

Mr. Tomoskowitz"

source: South Titan Government Blog: Stem Cell research

This article only mention about two clinical trials, one for age related blindness, and the USA one for spinal cord injuries and that seems to be a good focus to start on.

C-NICE - Wow...could take decades? Not from what I've read. According to this article, it's already here pending regulatory approval!

"British Scientists have developed the world's first stem cell therapy to cure the most common cause of blindness."

Blind to be cured with stem cells - Times Online

All these stem cells topics are getting a little old, boring and repetive. The majority on here probably do NOT want stem cells

But the majority (60%) as insofar who voted are interested in reading and discussing any stem cells news regarding hearing loss according to the latest poll on AD.

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...aring-loss-cure-e-g-stem-cell-biomedical.html

If this topic is old, boring and repetive then do not bother to click and read on any stem cells related topic regarding the restoration/cure of hearing loss in the future.

Voila! Problem solved.

:wave:

Regeneration of nerves isn't the same as hoping for immortality. One is a doable and plausible science, the other isn't so unless you want to rent MJ's hyperbaric chamber and give it a shot.

Shit, I'm waiting for immortality...

haha, I keep thinking about one of my online friend who thinks anything involve embryos are like hocus pocus witchcraft... mix a little bit blood of snake and bit of that.... and you created a healing potion.

Well that healing potion gives you warts.

Last edited:

I feel the same way... perhaps there can be a separate forum specificially for stem cells discussions..... I'm so tired of seeing them cluttering up this forum. Or maybe have a single pinned post for ALL stem cells discussions/news/posts so they don't clutter up the forum.

Is it really absolutely necessary to make a new post every single time there is a new news article or idea? There's still no actual evidence or proof that stem cell in terms of "curing" deafness is going to happen anytime soon.

No offense to those of you who are all about the stem cell idea and even hopeful of being a candidate for this.... but seriously, why get your hopes up NOW when it may not even happen for who knows how long? When there is actual proof and evidence that YES, stem cells (or cell regeneration, etc.) is working and will for sure be available SOON and is in the process of FDA approvals, then yeah ok get your hopes up then, but right now?

I don't mind the stem cell debates. It just peeves me when people word it as an automatic perfect cure.

Biotechnology have been heavily debated since the '80s. So it is not really new. If you want someone to blame for the surge in popularity in stem cell debates on deaf forums, blame the people that experimented with restoring stereocillia in rodents about a decade or so ago.

It is related to improving one's hearing-- so they should stay in the "hearing aids & cochlear implants" section of the forum. I just choose not to talk about the science or treatments, however I will debate on the philosophical issue surrounding it regarding society's view toward technology and deaf education. If someone want to get stem cells, way to go-- just be aware that all the social issues won't disappear.

I just won't get stem cells because I have been mucked around with by doctors for far too long to the point where I am willing to refuse non-oral treatments-- and I have done so already before many time in the last five years. Nothing against stem cells, just I want some peace away from the probes and needles.

Back