Stem close or not close?

Regeneration of nerves isn't the same as hoping for immortality. One is a doable and plausible science, the other isn't so unless you want to rent MJ's hyperbaric chamber and give it a shot.

It is a doable and plausible science in theory only. The research has not been taken to the level where it can exist outside of theory. All speculation is based on what theory states is liable to happen. Anyone involved in research knows that what theory predicts, and what actually occurs given all of the extaneous variables involved, are actually 2 very different things.

I don't mind the stem cell debates. It just peeves me when people word it as an automatic perfect cure.

Biotechnology have been heavily debated since the '80s. So it is not really new. If you want someone to blame for the surge in popularity in stem cell debates on deaf forums, blame the people that experimented with restoring stereocillia in rodents about a decade or so ago.

It is related to improving one's hearing-- so they should stay in the "hearing aids & cochlear implants" section of the forum. I just choose not to talk about the science or treatments, however I will debate on the philosophical issue surrounding it regarding society's view toward technology and deaf education. If someone want to get stem cells, way to go-- just be aware that all the social issues won't disappear.

I just won't get stem cells because I have been mucked around with by doctors for far too long to the point where I am willing to refuse non-oral treatments-- and I have done so already before many time in the last five years. Nothing against stem cells, just I want some peace away from the probes and needles.

The current hype we are seeing around here regarding stemp cells is the result of a certain faction that confuses a press release with hard scientific evidence. The medical community is much more reserved regarding projections that the people who write the press releases.

Seems about 20 years ago, we saw the same type of phenomena occurring with CI.

I can understand the need/want for a subforum relating to this subject since it's been posted frequently. I, for one, am interested in it. I don't hold high hopes it'll happen anytime too soon, but I am at least interested in reading up upon it. Being deaf all my life, this (and other options) gives me -- a person deaf all my life (and I know others disagree, and that's okay) ideas for the future.

Frankly, all the hype about stem cells now is what we saw 20 years ago with CIs (as Jillio stated) and look at how many have gotten CIs since. It's not unreasonable to think there are very real medical possibilities out there.

it just seems like there was an explosion of stem cells/cell regenerative posts lately, it's just ridiculous.

it just seems like there was an explosion of stem cells/cell regenerative posts lately, it's just ridiculous.

Welcome to the biotech industry, where they try to hype everyone up by putting out press releases in order to distract other companies or scaring competitors into stopping their research, so they can patent the damn thing without anyone to buckle with them.

@john57- Agreed. That's why it pays to do your research and due diligence before ever heading to another country for stem cell treatment.

It is a doable and plausible science in theory only. The research has not been taken to the level where it can exist outside of theory. All speculation is based on what theory states is liable to happen. Anyone involved in research knows that what theory predicts, and what actually occurs given all of the extaneous variables involved, are actually 2 very different things.

We have working theories just like taking stem cells from the bone marrow to treat and help regrow new tissues for the heart muscle (in situ) improving the pumping efficiency. This new application is just beginning to occur in the United States. That what makes these stem cells advancements doable and plausible in the first place based on existing working theories taking place and not just merely a theory in question. Big difference.

No offense to those of you who are all about the stem cell idea and even hopeful of being a candidate for this.... but seriously, why get your hopes up NOW when it may not even happen for who knows how long? When there is actual proof and evidence that YES, stem cells (or cell regeneration, etc.) is working and will for sure be available SOON and is in the process of FDA approvals, then yeah ok get your hopes up then, but right now?

have you heard clinical trials has begun for cord blood stem cells for children under 18 months? Its been mentioned several times in other threads! Phi4sius appears to know that we will see adult trials next year! Also Phi4sius knows of a guy who already got stem cells and experienced a 25db improvement in his hearing! Hopefully this guy will provide the "before" and "after" audiograms soon as concentrate proof! :D

Regeneration of nerves isn't the same as hoping for immortality. One is a doable and plausible science, the other isn't so unless you want to rent MJ's hyperbaric chamber and give it a shot.

Immortality doesn't seem possible/feastable for any living organisms. Start a thread on this if you wish to debate that. I won't go offtopic.

What do you have against stem cells? Ya know, it's not just for deafness but for everything! Itll be saving billions of lives and curing virtually every disease/cancer! In fact stem cells is being used now to cure dozens of diseases!

I see nothing wrong discussing stem cells. Nobody is forcing anyone to read any particular thread in AD.

I have been saying in some of these threads that I'm very interested in this. Whether it'd be a success or not remains to be seen, but if it were, I would really go for it. One thing I think is important is that even if it should restore some of my hearing, I will still be "deaf" in that all my friends are deaf. Sure, I might make new hearing friends if interaction were that much more easier. But I wouldn't just dump my deaf friends just because some of my hearing was restored. Why would I? Being deaf may be what brought us together in the first place, but it's not WHY I'm still friends with them. I would always still be a part of the deaf culture, I've been part of it for too long to not. So give me an opportunity to hear better, I would take it.

I have been saying in some of these threads that I'm very interested in this. Whether it'd be a success or not remains to be seen, but if it were, I would really go for it. One thing I think is important is that even if it should restore some of my hearing, I will still be "deaf" in that all my friends are deaf. Sure, I might make new hearing friends if interaction were that much more easier. But I wouldn't just dump my deaf friends just because some of my hearing was restored. Why would I? Being deaf may be what brought us together in the first place, but it's not WHY I'm still friends with them. I would always still be a part of the deaf culture, I've been part of it for too long to not. So give me an opportunity to hear better, I would take it.

Then what's the fear of those culturally Deaf from getting stem cells? If they were accepted with CI, they should be accepted with stem cells! Being able to hear better is no reason to stop being friends with! You are still the same good person!

There is also a real possibility that your deaf "friends" would drop you instead for becoming hearing. We already saw that happen with CI in some instances. But when we get to the point of where hearing loss can be restored then I'm sure they'll be somebody out there will drop you like a hot rock and now become radioactive to them. Elitism has it's own warts.

There is also a real possibility that your deaf "friends" would drop you instead for becoming hearing. We already saw that happen with CI in some instances. But when we get to the point of where hearing loss can be restored then I'm sure they'll be somebody out there will drop you like a hot rock and now become radioactive to them. Elitism has it's own warts.

That's "inverse" discrimination. If that happens they are not real friends. Nothing to add.

If any lesson to be learned from those who got CI and seeing some of their "friends" who turned out not to be real friends in the first place can assuredly expect the same thing should hearing loss be able to be restored completely someday. I would expect similar responses by some Deaf people against parents who get their deaf baby's hearing loss restored completely, successfully and safely done.

I don't have anything against stem cells, it's just that... I wouldn't be all hopeful for it anytime soon until there is 100% PROOF of it definitely working. and as I've said, there are far too many new posts/articles about stem cells..... an explosion of them lately, why can't you people just keep them all to 1 post just for stem cells discussions rather than making a new post every single time? Not everyone wants to see 10+ stem cells related posts on the first page of the forum when they're trying to get to other posts that are more important to them.

Maybe a have a subfolder in AD under "Stem Cells Advancements" in the medical science section?

I don't have anything against stem cells, it's just that... I wouldn't be all hopeful for it anytime soon until there is 100% PROOF of it definitely working. and as I've said, there are far too many new posts/articles about stem cells..... an explosion of them lately, why can't you people just keep them all to 1 post just for stem cells discussions rather than making a new post every single time? Not everyone wants to see 10+ stem cells related posts on the first page of the forum when they're trying to get to other posts that are more important to them.

It borders on spamming. I am wondering if the mods should perhaps check the IP address of the poster responsible and compare it to a couple of others.:hmm:

Back