Stem cell available in Kansas City

Well I guess I stepped on some elitiest toes. Sorry about that. I have been reading in This forum about some peeps wanting Stem Cell. I thought there might be some interest that it was being done here. Am I a lobbyist? NO. I am a 77 yr old HOH person. The people that are doing my eval for CI are part of this group at St. Lukes. Am I lobbying for them? My wife had 4 childern born there and several other proceedures done there. It is a highly respected hospital. I am sorry I opened up this can of worms. You elitest snobs can now go about your business. BTW I can't make the cut for CI, so I am stuck with HA's.

On My Way
BOB

First, all stem cells are used. second, the post was for information aimed at those who are waiting to go to China to get thier stem cells. Third, why is it when anyone posts on this site anything some people just have to be negative and try to beat it down.( they must be democrats). Last nowhere does it say Doctor Prentice was doing stem cell inplants (or whatever) or that he was/is an MD.

No one is beating anything down. They are simply pointing out the absurdity in the posts about stem cells. The treatment has not been approved by the FDA. It is not available to the public. It is still in the research phase. Yet people want to portray it as being available now, or in the immediate future. It is nothing but a bunch of wishful thinking.

Well I guess I stepped on some elitiest toes. Sorry about that. I have been reading in This forum about some peeps wanting Stem Cell. I thought there might be some interest that it was being done here. Am I a lobbyist? NO. I am a 77 yr old HOH person. The people that are doing my eval for CI are part of this group at St. Lukes. Am I lobbying for them? My wife had 4 childern born there and several other proceedures done there. It is a highly respected hospital. I am sorry I opened up this can of worms. You elitest snobs can now go about your business. BTW I can't make the cut for CI, so I am stuck with HA's.

On My Way
BOB

Nothing eletist about requiring accuracy.

It is still in the research phase. Yet people want to portray it as being available now, or in the immediate future. It is nothing but a bunch of wishful thinking.
Yeah....they're doing stem cell treatment for diseases and disorders.......stuff that has been consistutonaly already shown to respond well to bone marrow transplants.

On My Way
BOB

Ill be getting stem cells in another country, America is several years behind. Most of the Alldeaf members are anti stem cells, especially when it comes to hearing loss. I respect their choice to stay deaf, but im choosing stem cells for myself. Are you interested in stem cells, Bob? It would be a dream come true if stem cells can give me as much hearing as you have now!

Your hearing with HAs(especially with transposition) should be better than what CI can offer. I know CI criteria is very lax, but they still usually don't implant those with only a moderate to severe hearing loss. Big risk of hearing worse with CI anyway. Stem cells avoids this risk. Studies show that CI is comparable to HAs for someone with around 80db loss(link), your hearing is better than that. What do you score on a speech discrimination test and what type of tests have you taken?

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/69092-degrees-hearing-loss-speech-scores.html

This thread shows degrees of hearing loss to speech comphrension.

Elitist snobs? Was I included? A compliment! People usually think of me as this poor, pathetic multi-handicapped person.

I will miss you oldbob. :cry:

Elitist snobs? I wonder about that, too, seeing people get so suspicious and territorial. And yet some sure are quick to try and derail a thread on anything remotely related to stem cells. Leave it to the mods to figure it out if one is spamming or not.

Elitist snobs? I wonder about that, too, seeing people get so suspicious and territorial. And yet some sure are quick to try and derail a thread on anything remotely related to stem cells. Leave it to the mods to figure it out if one is spamming or not.

Almost everything is a territorial fight here. AD just has very opinionated people.

More like overly protective mothers?

:shrug: I personally was raised by wolves. I would not know an overly protective mother if I saw one.

But I do notice it is very easy to get into fights. I really do my best to stay out of them, except if I am actually interested.

:shrug: I personally was raised by wolves. I would not know an overly protective mother if I saw one.

But I do notice it is very easy to get into fights. I really do my best to stay out of them, except if I am actually interested.

:laugh2:

Thanks for a good laugh before hitting the sack!

Sorry to be so long in replying. Had to run to Walmart for Depends. We winter down in S Texas, and the handicap parking is always full of old people. So it takes a long time to get one of the spots. NEWS FLASH: They now have Depends for men. My wife thought this was a good idea, as I was using hers. Question: Does this qualify as "Peer Review"? Well back to the questions.

Are you interested in stem cells, Bob? It would be a dream come true if stem cells can give me as much hearing as you have now!

No I'm not interested in stem cells. I just thought that with the number of posts about them, that there would be some interest in an article in a small paper that most people would not get to review. I assumed that people would check it out on thier own and draw thier own conclusions. Which some did.

Your hearing with HAs(especially with transposition) should be better than what CI can offer. I know CI criteria is very lax, but they still usually don't implant those with only a moderate to severe hearing loss. Big risk of hearing worse with CI anyway. Stem cells avoids this risk. Studies show that CI is comparable to HAs for someone with around 80db loss(link), your hearing is better than that. What do you score on a speech discrimination test and what type of tests have you taken?

I have been evaluated every year for the last four years, and have been on the borderline every year. As I am on the goverment dole, I can't afford the operation. I have to wait for Medicare approval. With these new HA's it doesn't look like there is a snowball's chance in S. Texas of that happening.(Altho we did have a white Christmas three years ago, first ever).
My Speech Discrimination Tested 40 - 41% unaided. Aided it is 67%. I don't know what the tests were called, but took several hours in the isolation booth. At this point I'm not realy interested in CI.

I found an article in a local Iowa newspaper about a less invasive CI. It said it was the first operation of its kind with this proceedure. AND it was FDA approved. No peer review, however. One more thing: On Fox news last night (ok liberals come on out) there was a brief story about Adult Stem Cell being used for Brain Damage (maybe I will try for that) AND was FDA approved.

Disregard spelling errors, I don't have a spell checker.

oldbob, you're a hoot. Glad that you decided to stick around. :laugh2: :wave:

Sorry to be so long in replying. Had to run to Walmart for Depends. We winter down in S Texas, and the handicap parking is always full of old people. So it takes a long time to get one of the spots. NEWS FLASH: They now have Depends for men. My wife thought this was a good idea, as I was using hers. Question: Does this qualify as "Peer Review"? Well back to the questions.

No I'm not interested in stem cells. I just thought that with the number of posts about them, that there would be some interest in an article in a small paper that most people would not get to review. I assumed that people would check it out on thier own and draw thier own conclusions. Which some did.

I have been evaluated every year for the last four years, and have been on the borderline every year. As I am on the goverment dole, I can't afford the operation. I have to wait for Medicare approval. With these new HA's it doesn't look like there is a snowball's chance in S. Texas of that happening.(Altho we did have a white Christmas three years ago, first ever).
My Speech Discrimination Tested 40 - 41% unaided. Aided it is 67%. I don't know what the tests were called, but took several hours in the isolation booth. At this point I'm not realy interested in CI.

I found an article in a local Iowa newspaper about a less invasive CI. It said it was the first operation of its kind with this proceedure. AND it was FDA approved. No peer review, however. One more thing: On Fox news last night (ok liberals come on out) there was a brief story about Adult Stem Cell being used for Brain Damage (maybe I will try for that) AND was FDA approved.

Disregard spelling errors, I don't have a spell checker.
Bolded:

#1. As I am trained here, you must stay on topic! (Depends not part of this topic.)

#2. I am from Iowa!

#3. Where did you get a computer without spell check?

I am glad you came back oldbob. :applause:

Most of the Alldeaf members are anti stem cells, especially when it comes to hearing loss
Where the HECK do you get THAT? We're simply saying that it's far too soon to tell anything about embryonic stem cells.

I checked that article out, but still am getting stem cells outside America. May I ask why you aren't interested? Is it due to cost? To be honest, if my hearing was as good as yours, I would wait for stem cells to become much cheaper. At your age, do you ever plan to get stem cells or just be happy with your rather good hearing with powerful HAs?

I have been evaluated every year for the last four years, and have been on the borderline every year. As I am on the goverment dole, I can't afford the operation. I have to wait for Medicare approval. With these new HA's it doesn't look like there is a snowball's chance in S. Texas of that happening.

I wonder how many got CI without trying the best HAs which would have given them hearing similar to a CI anyway! What do you mean by "borderline?" FDA requirements are a maximum of 20% monosyllabic words and 50% sentence. You score twice the maximum. I don't want a CI even for "free" as it's not really free as ill be paying for it by forfieting(give up) my residual hearing and missing out on stem cells.

If you have scans of your audiograms and speech tests, I can interpret them for you. I do know that unaided speech discrimination tests are usually monosyllabic words. You score without HAs at twice the FDA limit for CI. If that 67% aided is monosyllabic words(and not sentences), you are hearing better than the majority with CI!(as ive proven in other threads and in my blog) CI would not help you at all. What made you interested in CI anyway in the past and were you told that better HAs would help big time? Only stem cells would likley help(no risk other than cost) if you ever decide on this. I am getting stem cells soon and would be delighted if I could have hearing as good as yours! :D :cool2:

Where the HECK do you get THAT? We're simply saying that it's far too soon to tell anything about embryonic stem cells.

This is why im listening to stem cell labs instead of you. They are the experts and know way more about stem cells than even me. No offense but I suggest you research stem cells. Youll know that embryonic stem cells are never used, only adult(and cord blood) stem cells. If you research on Google, youll understand what adult(and cord blood) stem cells can do NOW and why people like me are interested. Theres alot of myths floating around on stem cells, I am getting tired of arguing when you guys refuse to believe the facts. I will just say that you will see for yourself in due time what I see today.

Pushing the limit: Alexandria native Humphries fights through MS to play in tourney?

Stem cells improved his MS(saved his life) and hearing(25db better) this is just one of thousands of examples. Again, anyone who cares(frankly, some don't) to see the evidence for themselves only needs to Google this up. No further discussion about stem cells to anyone unless they have done their research first and learned the facts.

In February, Humphries underwent another experimental stem cell treatment to regrow inner ear nerve hairs. It not only improved his hearing but helped him tolerate heat, which can be a problem for people with MS.

Don't know about FDA guide lines, but without HA's I CHS. The guide lines for Medicare are 40% and I am at 41%. I guess it all depends on which apples or oranges u use. Right now I can get along fairly well depending on the environment. Between ma and me we spend more time at the doctors and hospitals than at home. In the last 5 yrs ma has had rotor cuff surgery on both shoulders, and both knees replaced. I have had my ankle fused and Appendix removed and Cadillac surgery both eyes. Add to that the time spent in rehab. Just kind of sick of going to doctors. Depending on how ObamaCare goes, we could be looking at much reduced medical care.

On another note, I read (yep I can still do that) that the hospital has a Embryo stem cell bank. When a mother is in to give birth she is asked for permission to take the cord blood. I have no comment on this procedure. (yea or nay)So don't ask.

Back