Stage Theaters..accessible to audience with hearing loss?

I have gone to plays hosted by a small theatre company. Terps were always provided and like Bebonang, I loved watching the ASL expressions on the terps. Made me feel like I was part of the story. That makes a terp very well-qualified.

Was it located in or near a large population of Deaf people? What about those who do not know sign language when real time captioning would help for the rest of the audience with hearing loss?

Koko, koko, koko....

Did you start this thread to get your point across? The original topic was written as if you are having a problem with your local theatre, not a question of accessibility for all.

Before you can advocate for others, you need to be able to advocate for yourself first. shel is already advocating for herself, and consequently other Deaf people benefits...

What are you doing to make sure it happens in your town?

It's a discovery process on just how prevalent this is, and why. Please note the topic of this thread again...

I had gone to live theatres in New Mexico. They provided interpreters on stage to tell us what the actors and actresses are saying. I love the intepreters the way they interpreted and moved almost close to the actors. I don't remember seeing any captioned for the plays, so I don't know. I don't like FM systems and never use them. Yeah, I have seen some like those. Weird. :cool2:

Same as here. I went to the North Shore Music Theatre (as NSMT and other theatres as well..) many times in the past, which I enjoyed watching. Two interpreters did a fabulous job. They did practice before it started. A lot of work! They did a fabulous job, tho!!! Thanks so much for interpreting for all of us. We will never forget that. The NSMT is closed due to the financial problems. :(

North Shore, that's just north of Boston, rather a large city. A good place to have interpreters and real time captioning (or did they even do that?)

Forgive me if this is a weird question but how does real time captioning work for theater? Is there some sort of device you hold? The reason I am interested in this is because I live in a very small town and would love to be able to to to events that can be captioned but I have no idea how it would work?

I know that more and more movie theaters are providing captioned films but what about stage theater? There's a 1 in 10 chance that somebody in the audience has a hearing loss and may not understand fully what's being said. How affordable is for stage theaters to have captioned or even interpreters for a few hours a time if you have a big audience to begin with?

If you were that actor on a stage and have concerns about potential problems on the accessibility issue for those in the audience with hearing loss what would you do?
:cool2:

It's a discovery process on just how prevalent this is, and why. Please note the topic of this thread again...
the topic: "Stage Theaters..accessible to audience with hearing loss?"
===========================

Now: my response: quit it. If you really wanted to create a "Discovery process" you would simply put this in your og post: "Hey you out there, i want to know how accessible the live theaters are in your area? "

It's THAT easy. yes.
But you're trying to stir some stuff up, even your og post doesn't go well with one of your posts, like the example above.

Now my answer to "How prevalent it is, and why?" -- Every place i've lived in, even bumf**k nebraska, has had live productions with interpreters regularly.

I've went to a theater in a small hick town, and there was only like 40 seats in total, Interpreted!

I don't see a problem in this sense.

Last edited:
the topic: "Stage Theaters..accessible to audience with hearing loss?"
===========================

Now: my response: quit it. If you really wanted to create a "Discovery process" you would simply put this in your og post: "Hey you out there, i want to know how accessible the live theaters are in your area? "

It's THAT easy. yes.
But you're trying to stir some stuff up, even your og post doesn't go well with one of your posts, like the example above.

Now my answer to "How prevalent it is, and why?" -- Every place i've lived in, even bumf**k nebraska, has had live productions with interpreters regularly.

I've went to a theater in a small hick town, and there was only like 40 seats in total, Interpreted!

I don't see a problem in this sense.

Problem is this.

30+ million people in the U.S. have a hearing loss.
3+ million people in the U.S. have hearing loss above the moderate range.
~ 800,000 people in the U.S. rely on sign langugae to communicate.

I suppose it'd be a better idea to have interpreters at every movie screening instead of open captioned then?

Problem is this.

I suppose it'd be a better idea to have interpreters at every movie screening instead of open captioned then?

God, although I don't usually use his name in vain, you are annoying. I am thinking "ignore" is the best option here.

At least Deaf people are speaking up for themselves:
we want ASL interpreters.

Hard-of-hearing people are speaking up for themselves: we want FM systems in theatres connected to the soundboard.

But is anyone demanding captioning? Maybe they want to, but they need to ask the theatres. No ruckus, no service.

So why are you dredging up the captioning accessibility? If you want captionings, demand them... otherwise it's a waste of money if no one want them.

You can't demand people to do things without being a self-advocate. So get off the forum, quit stirring the pot, and do something with your life.

Problem is this.

Problem is your comprehension.
These people who have issues and wants accommodations usually ask for it. Also in most cases they do get it.

Financially even if I owned a theater I would laugh in your face. :ty:

Problem is your comprehension.
These people who have issues and wants accommodations usually ask for it. Also in most cases they do get it.

Financially even if I owned a theater I would laugh in your face. :ty:

Not movie theaters...live theaters....as in acting.

And no, it's not that simple when it comes to real time captioning that the majority of hearing loss population would find it more beneficial and enjoyable.

Found one...took some digging but it was two years ago.

“With this grant, people with hearing loss will have the opportunity to experience professional theater with real-time captioning,” said Acting Commissioner Jennifer Velez. “This is a marvelous way to make public events such as these more accessible.”

“Without the leadership support of the New Jersey Department of Human Services’ Division of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, many of our member theatres would not be in the position to offer open captioning,´ said John McEwen, Executive Director of the New Jersey Theatre Alliance. “We are so happy that our partnership with these two agencies has made it possible for our members to open their doors to people with hearing loss, allowing them to fully embrace the joy of live theater.”

Many New Jersey theaters already offer sign language interpreted performances and listening enhancement systems. The CART system provides one more enhancement.

Department of Human Services | Department Helps Theatre Alliance Provide Open Captioned Shows for People Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing

God, although I don't usually use his name in vain, you are annoying. I am thinking "ignore" is the best option here.

At least Deaf people are speaking up for themselves:
we want ASL interpreters.

Hard-of-hearing people are speaking up for themselves: we want FM systems in theatres connected to the soundboard.

But is anyone demanding captioning? Maybe they want to, but they need to ask the theatres. No ruckus, no service.

So why are you dredging up the captioning accessibility? If you want captionings, demand them... otherwise it's a waste of money if no one want them.

You can't demand people to do things without being a self-advocate. So get off the forum, quit stirring the pot, and do something with your life.

I'm interested in looking from the perspective of live theater acting and see what's out there. No harm in discussing it in here.

Secondly, nobody forced you to read here.

Thirdly, it's about for the support of all kinds of available access to all those with hearing loss in a live theater setting and not just interpreters only. Nice but we're not there yet.

Not movie theaters...live theaters....as in acting.

And no, it's not that simple when it comes to real time captioning that the majority of hearing loss population would find it more beneficial and enjoyable.

Found one...took some digging but it was two years ago.

Department of Human Services | Department Helps Theatre Alliance Provide Open Captioned Shows for People Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing

uhm.. I knew youre talking about live theaters..

But now WHAT THE F ARE YOU TRYING TO "DISCOVER?"

Pretty obvious. See how far it has "improved" since.

Not really. You did not state that in the original post. Try again.

Your title basically says "Is live theater accessible?"

Your OP asks "If you were an actor what would you do?" (Which my answer would be, continue acting and not focusing on some legal crap like this, i'll have my office manager take care of it.)

Then now "See how far it has improved."

What next?

It's therapy for me. I want to punch the living s**t out of him. but I've been successful in meditating myself.

He tries too hard to be intelligent but as I've shown - he's worse than a drunk blabbering fool that has more issues than national geographic.

It's therapy for me. I want to punch the living s**t out of him. but I've been successful in meditating myself.

He tries too hard to be intelligent but as I've shown - he's worse than a drunk blabbering fool that has more issues than national geographic.

Well he doesn't bore people. I'll give him that. :P

Back