SSI/SSDI benefits

People think SSDI is oh so great to live off of, in reality it sucks, it doesnt make ends meet and it barely gets you by....

Of course, life is HARD as hell.

People think SSDI is oh so great to live off of, in reality it sucks, it doesnt make ends meet and it barely gets you by....
yup.

Right now I wouldn't be able to live on my own outside of family. I might be able to but the lower cost apartments etc are in the worst parts of town. And where I live right now even the lowest cost is too high (I live in what is otherwise known as "suburbia" I guess though it's grown rapidly from the last time I lived here 10 years ago.

I'm almost afraid I will never get off SSDI (due to age thank you ageism) and never leave my relatives' home(s)...

Fortunately I was born in UK and have dual citizenship. If I needed something major I'd grab a flight to UK...

Guy who Brit worked over 30years went to st kits for 3years he came back to uk and was refused treatment because he been out of country over 2years.That happened Norwich and Norfolk hospital about 3years back.it caused a lot of flak.So be bit careful not to totally rely on that.A lot comes down to luck...where in uk you from

yup.

Right now I wouldn't be able to live on my own outside of family. I might be able to but the lower cost apartments etc are in the worst parts of town. And where I live right now even the lowest cost is too high (I live in what is otherwise known as "suburbia" I guess though it's grown rapidly from the last time I lived here 10 years ago.

I'm almost afraid I will never get off SSDI (due to age thank you ageism) and never leave my relatives' home(s)...

Its possible if you play your cards correctly, Ive bought a house, fixed it and sold it.. Yes it was tight, but I managed by cutting down on splurge spending. I am trying to buy another house, hopefully without needing a ton of work and just relax... I cant do it anymore, its killing my neck and back besides I dont have the help I once did. I just want to make the payments, eat good and relax til I die.

yup.

You aren't alone, I live with family and it isn't easy for me to move out of family due to medical issue, also for safety reason. That's true, in here, most low income apartments in bad area but there are low income rental properties in rural area and there is zero access to public transportation and limited service in rural area, it could make transportation cost more expensive.

Yes, age discrimination is big issue and many companies prefer young workers, that's sad.

Some people made fun of me and told me to stuck in mother's basement, that hurt my feeling and being disabled isn't funny.

Its possible if you play your cards correctly, Ive bought a house, fixed it and sold it.. Yes it was tight, but I managed by cutting down on splurge spending. I am trying to buy another house, hopefully without needing a ton of work and just relax... I cant do it anymore, its killing my neck and back besides I dont have the help I once did. I just want to make the payments, eat good and relax til I die.

That's cool, in 20 years ago, my father bought foreclosed house and had a lot of work. He sold the house in 2005 after neighborhood went downhill. Now, he has a lot of health issues and he cannot handle a lot of work anymore, he's 61 now.

Definitely agree there. I'm trying to save up so I at least have a good 'savings account' (it's not a traditional one in a sense because of fees...).

Still would rather work for another 15-20 years though unless the doctors (mainly eyeballs) say I can't.

Nevermind - I got mix up with SSI and trial work period.

Yup, and medicare, have to pay for it, I almost had heart attack when seeing premium for all new SSDi and SS, almost 4 times more than what mine deducted from! Its for new SSDi applicants and future applicants only, does not affect grandfathered applicants.

I think Obamacare is making worse for everybody. Affordable? Hahaha, yeah right!

It's affordable. I have to use ACA for my health care. In fact I got a lower cost policy for 2016 that has about the same coverage I had for this year.

What else can I possibly do? Go without insurance therefore lose all of the meds I have? Straight insurance through the insurance company is mindnumbingly even more expensive.

Working is the only way to get reasonable insurance without having to pay out half your income, and if you fit the criteria ACA CAN work.

Yup, and medicare, have to pay for it, I almost had heart attack when seeing premium for all new SSDi and SS, almost 4 times more than what mine deducted from! Its for new SSDi applicants and future applicants only, does not affect grandfathered applicants.

I think Obamacare is making worse for everybody. Affordable? Hahaha, yeah right!

Medicare isn't changing after Obamacare kick in, but they fixed the donut hole for Part D - it won't eliminated until 2020.

I have extra help for Medicare, but they don't have very good coverage for series of exams for with vision issues. Normally, Medicare paid about 80% but for vision issues, it usually covered 30% under special payment.

I have BCBS from my family to close the gap.

It's affordable. I have to use ACA for my health care. In fact I got a lower cost policy for 2016 that has about the same coverage I had for this year.

What else can I possibly do? Go without insurance therefore lose all of the meds I have? Straight insurance through the insurance company is mindnumbingly even more expensive.

Working is the only way to get reasonable insurance without having to pay out half your income, and if you fit the criteria ACA CAN work.

I heard about the congress want to repeal ACA without replacement.

OMG at government.

Medicare isn't changing after Obamacare kick in, but they fixed the donut hole for Part D - it won't eliminated until 2020.

I have extra help for Medicare, but they don't have very good coverage for series of exams for with vision issues. Normally, Medicare paid about 80% but for vision issues, it usually covered 30% under special payment.

I have BCBS from my family to close the gap.

Read again, considered yourself lucky you got medicare before new rate kicks in. The new rate does not affect you and me. Friend of mine just started the 2 years waiting period and was inform of rate which is almost 4 times more than what you and I pay for.

Medicare, ugh! I have to sign up for it this month. I really don't want it. Even though I have problems with VA, I prefer to keep it and Tricare. Medicare wants me to pay $120/month but I haven't found out what I get for that money that I don't get with Tricare. We've been trying to find out about how VA/Tricare/Medicare effect each other. We've called the Medicare office several times and they give us a different story each time. The last Medicare rep had to confer with her supervisor because she said that she never heard of a situation like mine. What?

I have no confidence in Medicare's answers to my questions.

We're going to call Tricare again to compare notes.

Read again, considered yourself lucky you got medicare before new rate kicks in. The new rate does not affect you and me. Friend of mine just started the 2 years waiting period and was inform of rate which is almost 4 times more than what you and I pay for.

I had to wait for 2 years before getting Medicare - the waiting started in 2010.

I have Extra Help to cover the medicare cost, Part D cost and deductible, otherwise it will cost $100 per month, along with $150 deductible.

Medicare, ugh! I have to sign up for it this month. I really don't want it. Even though I have problems with VA, I prefer to keep it and Tricare. Medicare wants me to pay $120/month but I haven't found out what I get for that money that I don't get with Tricare. We've been trying to find out about how VA/Tricare/Medicare effect each other. We've called the Medicare office several times and they give us a different story each time. The last Medicare rep had to confer with her supervisor because she said that she never heard of a situation like mine. What?

I have no confidence in Medicare's answers to my questions.

We're going to call Tricare again to compare notes.

My father told me that Medicare is required to keep Tricare, unfortunately.

http://www.tricare.mil/LifeEvents/Medicare.aspx

My father told me that Medicare is required to keep Tricare, unfortunately.

http://www.tricare.mil/LifeEvents/Medicare.aspx
The complication is that I'm in Dual Status, and the Medicare rep didn't have an answer for this:

When I was in the Navy I served 7 years active duty and 17 years as a drilling reservist. I retired as a reservist.

TCS served his full career and retired as an active duty member. So, his status is primary over mine. Our Tricare is under his SSN, and I'm considered a dependent for Tricare purposes.

I will 65 March 2016. TCS will be 65 December 2017. That screws up the normal way Tricare is determined for the dependent (me).

When I get my prescriptions at the VA hospital downtown, I get them under my SSN. When I get the at the Navy pharmacy, I have to get them under TCS's SSN. I get my medical care from VA under my SSN. I get other care, if needed, such as an ER visit, under TCS's SSN (Tricare).

That's why it's confusing. :dizzy:

The Medicare rep said that she never heard of such a thing. :roll:

The complication is that I'm in Dual Status, and the Medicare rep didn't have an answer for this:

When I was in the Navy I served 7 years active duty and 17 years as a drilling reservist. I retired as a reservist.

TCS served his full career and retired as an active duty member. So, his status is primary over mine. Our Tricare is under his SSN, and I'm considered a dependent for Tricare purposes.

I will 65 March 2016. TCS will be 65 December 2017. That screws up the normal way Tricare is determined for the dependent (me).

When I get my prescriptions at the VA hospital downtown, I get them under my SSN. When I get the at the Navy pharmacy, I have to get them under TCS's SSN. I get my medical care from VA under my SSN. I get other care, if needed, such as an ER visit, under TCS's SSN (Tricare).

That's why it's confusing. :dizzy:

The Medicare rep said that she never heard of such a thing. :roll:

Oh wow, that's indeed complicated.

I believe that DoD/VA is responsible for Tricare policies and regulation - they decided to make Medicare as mandatory to keep Tricare - not sure if it is part of law.

I don't think that Medicare is trained to handle Tricare's cases - they are 2 different departments - HHS and VA.

Back