Spoken English is not in the best interest for my hearing child

Wow....I've never heard of something like this before. (even tho' you're not actually thinking it)...Over the years, I've met deafies with hearing children, and their speech was delayed because of signing only in the home. They went to speech classes, now are doing fine.

Thankfully the bolded isn't always the case, but, I can see where it may be in a lot of cases. I have a friend who is profoundly deaf. She has two hearing children; neither of which were delayed in language aquisition or articulation. These children also have never been exposed to ASL that I know of.

Your point, though, IS well taken.

Well, from what I have seen most schools for the Deaf do allow hearing kids but not just any hearing kids they must be coda/soda. RMDS has a 2 year program which I sent my youngest daughter to from age 2 1/2 to 5.

But I do get what you were trying to say :)

So if two hearing parents decided to place their child in the ASL-only environment like Shel90 would want that, will not they arrest, aren't they? :(

So if two hearing parents decided to place their child in the ASL-only environment like Shel90 would want that, will not they arrest, aren't they? :(

No, they wouldn't. I think Shel meant that she'd be thought of as a bad parent and was just being colorful about it. It might be difficult, though, to find a program where you can do this like the one at my daughter's school or Blank Canvas's children's school.

No, they wouldn't. I think Shel meant that she'd be thought of as a bad parent and was just being colorful about it. It might be difficult, though, to find a program where you can do this like the one at my daughter's school or Blank Canvas's children's school.

As I figure... but I don't think Shel90 is a bad parent but she probably will not get that chance for her son... Sighs. I hate to imagine her being in jail if she does. :(

A lot of people took the original post seriously, even though Shel admitted that she is just playing Devil's Advocate.

Huh.. interesting.

Well, I know it's supposed to be the exact opposite of "ASL is not in the best interest of my deaf child." However, Shel said something that everyone seemed to miss: "He is not thriving in a spoken environment."

Therefore, does this mean there MUST be something wrong or different in order for this to happen?

What if Shel said "He is doing fine in a spoken environment, but I THINK he can do better in an ASL environment."?

Or "I want my hearing child to learn ASL for MY convenience"?

Since a few posters LOVE to say "Parents chose the oral path (for their child) for the parents' convenience.", would a deaf person making their child learn only ASL be something that's for their convenience?

By the way, I think that phrase "Parents chose the oral path (for their child) for their convenience." is incorrect. If anything, it is more like "Parents chose the oral path for the convenience of majority/society." There's a difference.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Interesting. If you attempt this, you will be arrested for endangering the welfare of a child. That blows.

Now, you got what I am trying to say. That is a parental right that I dont have because it wouldnt be in the best interest of my child. That I agree.

Now, what about deaf children? Why isnt the same thing required for them as well? The system isnt really looking out for the best interest of the children.

you could do it. There are programs that accept hearing kids.

A lot of people took the original post seriously, even though Shel admitted that she is just playing Devil's Advocate.

Huh.. interesting.

Well, I know it's supposed to be the exact opposite of "ASL is not in the best interest of my deaf child." However, Shel said something that everyone seemed to miss: "He is not thriving in a spoken environment."

Therefore, does this mean there MUST be something wrong or different in order for this to happen?

What if Shel said "He is doing fine in a spoken environment, but I THINK he can do better in an ASL environment."?

Or "I want my hearing child to learn ASL for MY convenience"?

Since a few posters LOVE to say "Parents chose the oral path (for their child) for the parents' convenience.", would a deaf person making their child learn only ASL be something that's for their convenience?

By the way, I think that phrase "Parents chose the oral path (for their child) for their convenience." is incorrect. If anything, it is more like "Parents chose the oral path for the convenience of majority/society." There's a difference.

But they are a part of that majority, so it is still for their convenience.

There is no way on this earth that a deaf parent can choose for a child to learn ASL only. Everyday exposure to English, even in a bi-bi environment, is just too prevalent. It would be the same in a predominantly ASL environment.

Its kind of like the youtube video were the guy said he wanted his hearing son to be D/deaf like he and his wife, so they flew to Brazil to have the surgery. It was actually his dog he was talking about, but the very real dillema was there. Society frowns upon hearing kids going deaf but its ok to do surgery on deaf kids to make them "hearing".

I think that if a deaf parent has a hearing child they should have a hearing mentor (like what the hearing parents have when they have a deaf child.) That way the child can have both. I teach a 2yr old hearing child ASL vocab. She has over 220 signs and can speak more than half of them. She is well beyond other hearing kids in her age group. Thank you Sign Language!

A deaf parent have a lot of hearing mentors - hearing relatives, hearing friends, TV, hearing teachers, etc.
A hearing parent with a deaf child..... where the parent is going to find a deaf mentor????

Now, you got what I am trying to say. That is a parental right that I dont have because it wouldnt be in the best interest of my child. That I agree.

Now, what about deaf children? Why isnt the same thing required for them as well? The system isnt really looking out for the best interest of the children.

And that surprises you? Good posting Shel, I like the way your thinking works. Well I believe this is one of those issues that needs to be brought to the attention of your local Bd of Ed. I know , I know..they will stall and put you off..but make some noise..We as deaf have got to start, no matter how many times we are told "you can't", to push some of these rulings. An inexperienced social worker may say you are a doing something not in the childs best interest, but what about finding and taking a witness who has experienced this to Family Court. Man, I am going to have to re-apply for testing to regain my para-legal license. While I was studying for my Masters I let it expire...This has really got me thinking i could so use my accreditation to at least write court requests and stir things up. Unfortunately, I gotta get outta this hospital first..laughing....I have so many things i want to be involved in with the hearing and the deaf... soon I hope maybe friday! smile Peace to you sister, you are one sharp cookie! M♥♥♥

A deaf parent have a lot of hearing mentors - hearing relatives, hearing friends, TV, hearing teachers, etc.
A hearing parent with a deaf child..... where the parent is going to find a deaf mentor????

I watched a pilot for a TV series called "My Deaf Family" where the oldest child has two deaf parents. He said that he had trouble in school because his dad would mispronounce words and such. The youngest child (theres 4 kids) is also hearing and the oldest said he is trying to make it easier for the youngest so he didnt have to go through what he had to. Not saying every CODA grows up with speech or english problems.

I thought that you could get a deaf mentor to come in so many times a week to help you learn about the deaf culture and even ASL. :hmm:

I watched a pilot for a TV series called "My Deaf Family" where the oldest child has two deaf parents. He said that he had trouble in school because his dad would mispronounce words and such. The youngest child (theres 4 kids) is also hearing and the oldest said he is trying to make it easier for the youngest so he didnt have to go through what he had to. Not saying every CODA grows up with speech or english problems.

I thought that you could get a deaf mentor to come in so many times a week to help you learn about the deaf culture and even ASL. :hmm:

In most areas, I'd say good luck with that one. Rarely happens as a part of EI.

Wow Shel, I actually thought you was going to do this, thought nothing wrong with this. Anybody should be able to use the language they feel more comfortable using!!

i know people in my community that would easily volunteer to mentor a hearing family with deaf child just to help out

i know people in my community that would easily volunteer to mentor a hearing family with deaf child just to help out

I'd say many deaf adults would be willing. Problem is, the people who administrate the EI programs don't see the need, so they don't ask.

my friend who is Deaf and who I've been learning ASL from and doing other things with - she is a mentor for a family with a deaf child or possibly children <not sure, we have to catch up> and also does some formal teaching.

my friend who is Deaf and who I've been learning ASL from and doing other things with - she is a mentor for a family with a deaf child or possibly children <not sure, we have to catch up> and also does some formal teaching.

That is great. I always want to cheer when I hear of a Deaf adult serving as a mentor to a child or children. That is the way to introduce the culture to hearing families. So much of the message we are trying to spread comes across in the mentoring process.

Wow Shel, I actually thought you was going to do this, thought nothing wrong with this. Anybody should be able to use the language they feel more comfortable using!!

Yea, I wish he could be placed in a Bibi program with ASL and English.

Back