Spoken English is not in the best interest for my hearing child

Shel, I'm VERY impressed, you ROCK! :rockon:

This is thread is Worthy to be stickied!!! absolutely useful to remain us all whats the story about rights and education.

I Love it.

If this is stickied, it would show to visitors, returning members young and old to read this and have a good think.

Also this can be a solid basis for developing a means to politically fight for this hypocrisy to be eradicated.

Cheers
:cheers:

wish he could be placed in a Bibi program with ASL and English.
Although we do seem to spend a lot of time bashing parents who chose oral only education, I have noticed that some of them are more.....oral FIRST. They're not nessarily screwed up emotionally about having a "disabled" kid. Some parents may chose an oral first education b/c they think that local sign using programs do not concentrate enough on speech therapy.
That CAN be a problem. Some sign using programs especially ones administred by TODs who may not be well trained, may not have a lot of great speech therapy.
I do think that if Deaf Schools and programs started HOH style bi bi preschool /early intervention programs....meaning half the session/day with spoken English and the other half with ASL, they could attract a TON of parents who would otherwise chose oral programs!

also I like Jill's supports to Shel's well prosed statement about being the Devil's advocate.
Excellent!

Although we do seem to spend a lot of time bashing parents who chose oral only education, I have noticed that some of them are more.....oral FIRST. They're not nessarily screwed up emotionally about having a "disabled" kid. Some parents may chose an oral first education b/c they think that local sign using programs do not concentrate enough on speech therapy.
That CAN be a problem. Some sign using programs especially ones administred by TODs who may not be well trained, may not have a lot of great speech therapy.
I do think that if Deaf Schools and programs started HOH style bi bi preschool /early intervention programs....meaning half the session/day with spoken English and the other half with ASL, they could attract a TON of parents who would otherwise chose oral programs!

I'm sure half of us already knew that DD.

OK... while baby sign language is slowly gained more popularity, it got me to think of something. In about 20 to 50 years from now, what it will be look like if hearing children are actually learned to communication with parents at much early age...? but with no doubt, there is still seeking for treatment -- for disabilities (maybe less disabled people?). I wonder, how it turns out so different. :hmm: So I'll see if I'm still alive... :hmm:

That is exactly the situation that creates delays for the child. More damage is done by "waiting to see if oral works" than you can possibly imagine.

That is exactly the situation that creates delays for the child. More damage is done by "waiting to see if oral works" than you can possibly imagine.
Oh hell yes. I couldn't agree with you more! Kids really need to have bilingal early intervention.
But on the other hand, it does seem like nowadays, the big name oral schools are a bit more open to saying to parents " Look your kid needs more then oral skills"
early on.....But yes, that only takes care of the kids with OBVIOUS severe spoken language issues......most oral only kids still have spoken language issues that need to be addressed in speech therapy.as well as the fact that they deal with the Fourth Grade Glass Ceiling. Heck even many audiloically hoh kids still have significent spoken language issues!

Back