spinoff: Another question

I think the difference is that there is a culture surrounding d/Deafness that isn't there for paraplegic or blind individuals. Deaf Culture sprang out of a common language and a common struggle, but paraplegic people and blind people communicate (mostly) just as hearing people do so there was no need to form their own cultures. People want to be proud of their culture, and just like in any culture they want to proclaim theirs as best/superior. There is always a fear, I think, that if someone wants to hear that makes them "Not Deaf" anymore, even though this isn't true. Therefore, like an ex-patriot who no longer wants to live in their own country, it is seen as "unpatriotic" for deaf (clinically) people to "try to be hearing" using the CI. And the only reason the CI is any different from a hearing aids is that CIs are viewed as permanent, even though you can take off the external piece just like a HA.

But that's just my two cents :D

:gpost::gpost: You show insight and understanding.

I think the difference is that there is a culture surrounding d/Deafness that isn't there for paraplegic or blind individuals. Deaf Culture sprang out of a common language and a common struggle, but paraplegic people and blind people communicate (mostly) just as hearing people do so there was no need to form their own cultures. People want to be proud of their culture, and just like in any culture they want to proclaim theirs as best/superior. There is always a fear, I think, that if someone wants to hear that makes them "Not Deaf" anymore, even though this isn't true. Therefore, like an ex-patriot who no longer wants to live in their own country, it is seen as "unpatriotic" for deaf (clinically) people to "try to be hearing" using the CI. And the only reason the CI is any different from a hearing aids is that CIs are viewed as permanent, even though you can take off the external piece just like a HA.

But that's just my two cents :D

Very insightful! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

WHY IN THE WORLD DOES EVERYBODY HAVE TO BE HAPPY/PROUD OF THEIR DEAFNESS???
Everyone is not happy/proud of their deafness. It's more the oposite, and that's why we have this "proud to be deaf" slogan at all. Rich and powerful people never say "proud to be rich and powerful". Hope this reply was helpful.

Deaf and proud
Flip

Back