Spelling words the way they sound (Oral habits)

No wonder the kids have no clue why they fail English when they get to the college level.

Sadly, this doesn't end at the college level. One of my TAs told us that if we included slang in our papers, she would give us a "D." I asked her after class "You would actually pass a student for including inappropriate language within an argumentative paper?" I was told that she has seen so many examples of poor writing that if she had to fail every student who did such a thing, she would fail almost everyone. If I were that TA, I *would* have failed them regardless.

I used to have a 7th and 11th grade Honors English teacher who used to say things to us like "Sloppy writing is indicative of a sloppy mind" and "If you can't write something worth reading, don't bother writing it at all." Funny how I can still hear their voices after 20+ years. :)

My 7th grade teacher also used to mark an "A" paper as an "F" if we didn't cross every "t" or dot every "i." I couldn't stand her back then, but when I look back, I'm thankful she was as hard on me as she was because she taught me how to be a good writer. She taught me about the importance of proper grammar and punctuation. Thanks to what I learned in her class, I received a writing award the following year as well as a college scholarship in 11th grade.

I was also fortunate enough to have the positive influence and encouragement of 3 published writers -- my 10th grade English teacher, the advisor of my high school newspaper and an English professor at my university.

I've been lucky to have excellent role models when it comes to writing. Without them, I wouldn't have the love for writing that I do.

My 7th grade teacher also used to mark an "A" paper as an "F" if we didn't cross every "t" or dot every "i." I couldn't stand her back then, but when I look back, I'm thankful she was as hard on me as she was because she taught me how to be a good writer. She taught me about the importance of proper grammar and punctuation. Thanks to what I learned in her class, I received a writing award the following year as well as a college scholarship in 11th grade.

I was also fortunate enough to have the positive influence and encouragement of 3 published writers -- my 10th grade English teacher, the advisor of my high school newspaper and an English professor at my university.

I've been lucky to have excellent role models when it comes to writing. Without them, I wouldn't have the love for writing that I do.

So true, you know? While you are in that class you think, my God, I can't stand this teacher, such a hard@$$!! But years or so down the road you think back and realize it only made you better because of it.

I once was telling a friend about while growing up, in elementary school, we had these "spelling bees" in the class. We all stood up against the closets and were each given a word. One by one we would spell our own word and if we got it wrong, we had to sit out. I won a lot of those and I always loved the game but my friend pointed out to me this:

So you had to stand against closets, for an indefinite period of time and spell your vocabulary list? Yes...

Why didn't you spell it wrong on purpose just so you could sit down?

Funny... that didn't cross my mind at nine years old. :)

ASLGAL - Thanks. This acceptance of misspellings spelling and misuse was at what grade level? *curious*

Elementary level but continued through secondary.

I'd call what you describe as the "lazy educator method.".
agreed.

I used to have a 7th and 11th grade Honors English teacher who used to say things to us like "Sloppy writing is indicative of a sloppy mind" and "If you can't write something worth reading, don't bother writing it at all." Funny how I can still hear their voices after 20+ years.

I had great teachers like that too. I loved them. They were specific about what was expected and acceptable and didn't change and did not allow administrators to dictate what was proper.

Of course, I do get a little lazy on here from time to time. Type too fast, use slang, common errors from not paying attention :(
I sure would be in trouble if our teachers were checking the forums.

I grew up in the 70s, so I was taught how to read phonetically. Spelling has never been a problem for me.

In fact, I represented my school in 7th grade at the district level spelling bee.

However, as my hearing continued to deteriorate, spelling became more difficult due to my inability to hear clearly. Even now that I have CIs, there are still words that I misspell, so dictionary.com is my favorite source to check my mistakes. I also have spell check enabled in my e-mail program as well as Firefox.

Now watch...There will be a word misspelled in this post that I didn't catch. :giggle:

I didn't see any spelling mistakes but then this is coming from someone who is famous for misspelling. :giggle:

I had great teachers like that too. I loved them. They were specific about what was expected and acceptable and didn't change and did not allow administrators to dictate what was proper.

Of course, I do get a little lazy on here from time to time. Type too fast, use slang, common errors from not paying attention :(
I sure would be in trouble if our teachers were checking the forums.

I agree on both counts. :)

So true, you know? While you are in that class you think, my God, I can't stand this teacher, such a hard@$$!! But years or so down the road you think back and realize it only made you better because of it.

I once was telling a friend about while growing up, in elementary school, we had these "spelling bees" in the class. We all stood up against the closets and were each given a word. One by one we would spell our own word and if we got it wrong, we had to sit out. I won a lot of those and I always loved the game but my friend pointed out to me this:

So you had to stand against closets, for an indefinite period of time and spell your vocabulary list? Yes...

Why didn't you spell it wrong on purpose just so you could sit down?

Funny... that didn't cross my mind at nine years old. :)

:giggle:

As far as vocabulary lists are concerned, we had to study 75 words/week in my 11th and 12th grade Honors English class. I was the only one who actually enjoyed memorizing them. I love learning new words and subscribe to several websites that have a "Word of the Day." :)

This thread just reminded me of how everyone used to call me "Little Miss Dictionary" in high school. :giggle:

LOL!

I was Miss Chatterbox back in the day & loathed that name!

Sure enough, I live up to that name! :lol:

I was and still am known as the walking dictionary, laughs. I used to love doing spelling tests in primary but after a while I got bored. Every week I got every spelling word correctly. Once I even spelt a word wrong on a spelling test because I was quite fed up of getting all the spelling words correct.

So...hearing people can't spell properly when they write too?

I don't really see any differences between writing and signing. Maybe they just got the sign letters wrong or they were trying to finger spell but it failed?

I don't really see any differences between writing and signing. Maybe they just got the sign letters wrong or they were trying to finger spell but it failed?

I can see where the problem between signing and writing comes in.

When someone uses ASL (as opposed to writing -- especially where children are concerned), the brain thinks about words visually in terms of how they are signed. This happened to me after I learned Braille. Instead of "seeing" words as they appear in print, I "saw" them written in Grade II Braille.

For example, the word "can" would appear as the letter "C" in my mind.

deafbahagirl said: "I've seen deaf people misspell based on signing. For example, many of my third graders thought the word "wrong" or "mistake" started with the letter "Y." Why? Because it is signed with the "y" handshape."

If what Volcanbaru said were true, these children would have started fingerspelling the word "wrong" or "mistake" with the letters "W" and "M" instead of using the "Y" handshape.

Are you talking about post 50?

It has nothing to do with fingerspelling. The sign is a "Y" hand pushed into the chin.

Completely different from the word spelling.

The sign is a "Y" hand pushed into the chin.

A bit OT, I apologise.

A cute little boy I used to babysit, he would sign "wrong" by pushing "Y" up and down underneath his chin.

Thought that was so sweet seeing him sign that. :aw:

A bit OT, I apologise.

A cute little boy I used to babysit, he would sign "wrong" by pushing "Y" up and down underneath his chin.

Thought that was so sweet seeing him sign that. :aw:

I love little kids and off topic. I think my name sign may get changed as my 2 year old granddaughter now enthusiastically greets me each time by signing "Spider".

Maybe people will think I a very tough and threatening if I am called Spider? :hmm:

Children learn to sight read, by simple interaction and repetition. In the school district in my area, children are also taught the phonemes of the alphabet in kindergarten. Once they reach grade one, sight reading is the primary method used, until early March. Then they are taught consonant sounds first, consonant blends and vowels. They also are taught that some of the words in English do not follow the rules of sound to letter, which really then becomes a memorization technique for the letters in that word.

Yes, I know. I was tought using both methods. But, I prefer phonics. that worked best for me. Others may prefer the sight reading method.

Yes, I know. I was tought using both methods. But, I prefer phonics. t

Hey Oceanbreeze, don't take this as criticism or anything, this is exactly what I was referring to in my initial post. I am an oral deaf, and because I prefer text more to speech, I tend to notice orthographical spelling errors done more frequently in the case of the hearing, I think.

When you said tought, I knew you meant taught right away. I am under the impression that when a hearing/hearing impaired (orally raised deaf) person is writing their words, some think the way it is pronounced. In this form, tought can legally pass as taught in speech form because phonetically, it literally sounds the same (to me at least).

PS. the great Bottesini, I have finally caught an error in your last post ;)

Back