Space Colonization for the longer life expandancy

Hwy99

Reaction score
This bothers me, I just couldn't understand why the governments does not pay attention or pay the NASA that much, but staying on the Earth, paying for the wars to fight against the nations around the Earth. Here the quote I was talking about:

... the goal isn't just scientific exploration ... it's also about extending the range of human habitat out from Earth into the solar system as we go forward in time ... In the long run a single-planet species will not survive ... If we humans want to survive for hundreds of thousands or millions of years, we must ultimately populate other planets. Now, today the technology is such that this is barely conceivable. We're in the infancy of it. ... I'm talking about that one day, I don't know when that day is, but there will be more human beings who live off the Earth than on it. We may well have people living on the moon. We may have people living on the moons of Jupiter and other planets. We may have people making habitats on asteroids ... I know that humans will colonize the solar system and one day go beyond.

– Michael D. Griffin[1]

And there are some interesting arguements about this:

The argument of cost
Many people overestimate how much money is spent on space and underestimate how much money is spent on defense or social programs.

Military spending
For example, as of 2008, over $845 billion has been spent on the current war in Iraq. In comparison, it only cost $2 billion to create the Hubble Space Telescope, and NASA's annual budget averages only about $16 billion. In other words, the money that has been spent on the Iraq war could have theoretically funded NASA for approximately 52 years.[23]

Social spending programs
The United States government spends ~$581 billion on its Social Security program, an additional ~$561 billion on Medicare, plus additional money on other social programs whose budget’s lies within the bounds of the "Other Discretionary Spending" category of the Federal Budget. This means that the United States spends more than $1.142 trillion on social programs per year (equal to more than $3,807 per person per year). In comparison, the United States space program costs a mere $53 per person per year.

Both of those quotes comes from the same article: Space colonization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are your opinion? Would you like to stay living without any of death in your lifetime?

I just was surprised that this case was not really taken seriously, I feel like this case should be.

while increased life expectancy sounds great...... it also puts a huge burden on social security, Earth resource, and population. the longer you live, the more you pollute and consume resource.... plus - the more we spend on defense program, the more advanced we get. That's why you have faster commercial jets, bigger cruise ships, cooler & smaller GPS technology, Internet, etc.

be careful of what you wish for :)

while increased life expectancy sounds great...... it also puts a huge burden on social security, Earth resource, and population. the longer you live, the more you pollute and consume resource.... plus - the more we spend on defense program, the more advanced we get. That's why you have faster commercial jets, bigger cruise ships, cooler & smaller GPS technology, Internet, etc.

Well if we can have some spaces for humans to live outside the Earth, we could reduce the population that produce the pollution against the Earth. Those people who live in the space could have a job working for mining, getting the water sources, and etc. There are plentiful of rocks and water in the space, so why not?

Also true, since we have been on the Earth, our systems are getting more advance and advance, but suppose if living in outside of Earth would be our next advance?

I would always wish for that kind. The Universe is all we have that we had to explore because there are pentiful sources that we can use and plus longer life expantancy, that is even more exciting.

Well if we can have some spaces for humans to live outside the Earth, we could reduce the population that produce the pollution against the Earth. Those people who live in the space could have a job working for mining, getting the water sources, and etc. There are plentiful of rocks and water in the space, so why not?

Also true, since we have been on the Earth, our systems are getting more advance and advance, but suppose if living in outside of Earth would be our next advance?
we're nowhere close to being advanced to space age. We're probably 2 centuries away.

I would always wish for that kind. The Universe is all we have that we had to explore because there are pentiful sources that we can use and plus longer life expantancy, that is even more exciting.
:)

we're nowhere close to being advanced to space age. We're probably 2 centuries away.

:)

Then how about your other thread that NASA is considering to build a lunar base on Moon by 2025? (http://www.alldeaf.com/topic-debates/67491-moon-mars.html) That is not so long in the future. With the water on south pole of Moon, it seems are possible for human to stay there for awhile.

I just wonder if the governments could invest a little more for the NASA so that they can do their works faster and hire more people.

Then how about your other thread that NASA is considering to build a lunar base on Moon by 2025? (http://www.alldeaf.com/topic-debates/67491-moon-mars.html) That is not so long in the future. With the water on south pole of Moon, it seems are possible for human to stay there for awhile.

I just wonder if the governments could invest a little more for the NASA so that they can do their works faster and hire more people.

people at Lunar Station will be NASA people - the professionally-trained astronauts and scientists. What you speak off before in your previous post is some commoners in space. 2 completely type of people :)

As for commoners working and living in space - we're probably about 2 centuries away for that. We need to study about the effect of living in space long-term and research the technology to enable that for all.

and yes - it would be nice if the government can invest more in NASA but that is not going to work. What we need is to allow the corporations to compete in space race. Capitalism is the best key driver to innovation and race.

people at Lunar Station will be NASA people - the professionally-trained astronauts and scientists. What you speak off before in your previous post is some commoners in space. 2 completely type of people :)

Basically, I mean any kind of human who stay outside the Earth or on the moon, it includes the astronauts or scientists, or even the commoners. Sorry for misunderstanding.

The money and time spent on defense technology trickles down to the civilians so it's good in a way. But if we could have an utopian society, we don't need to waste money and lives on wars. :roll:

As for living in space, ive read books on that and they say it could be 2100 before this is possible. I prefer to stay on Earth, much more to do than in space, on the moon, Mars or even some distant planet light years away.

The money and time spent on defense technology trickles down to the civilians so it's good in a way. But if we could have an utopian society, we don't need to waste money and lives on wars. :roll:

That is what I felt the same thing..

As for living in space, ive read books on that and they say it could be 2100 before this is possible. I prefer to stay on Earth, much more to do than in space, on the moon, Mars or even some distant planet light years away.

I am rather curiously what it is like to be in the space if we reach to that day in the future :)

For that, we will need to be cryogenically vitualised and reanimated in the far future. Yes I do believe in this technology and hope my parents go for it when they deanimate.

It would be NICE if I could live to see the day that humans can live/walk and shop on Mars or in galaxies beyond. Unfortunately..when that day comes..I will be nothing more but just a puddle of ashes way below the ground with other fossils.

Still..it would be nice!!

\\ //; Live Long and Prosper!

We're still years away from advanced space exploration.

We're not even close to Star Trek space exploration. :(

Makes me wish I was immortal so that I could live to see everything happen. :)

It would be NICE if I could live to see the day that humans can live/walk and shop on Mars or in galaxies beyond. Unfortunately..when that day comes..I will be nothing more but just a puddle of ashes way below the ground with other fossils.

Still..it would be nice!!

\\ //; Live Long and Prosper!

Well probably someday, they will know how to find your DNA and take you out to live again? :)

I plan to have my body cryogenically vitualised. Google "cryogenis and humans" :D

the thought of it frightens me. Just cremate me and free my spirit. I will reincarnate again. :)

I am always in a strong favor of space colonization in our solar and extrasolar systems as long as NASA is willing to have some international counterparts and corporations as partners in order to reduce budgetary burden for their goals. I believe going there will be beneficial to us health, science and education-wise in combination.

I sure hope the warp speed technology will be discovered soon so it would be a great benefit for our space colonization.

I think having ISS is a perfect start for us to take proper steps in order to develop and plan space colonization strategy.

I strongly believe in a win-win situation.

Last edited:
Wishing for a longer life instead of focusing on this life and what one can get out of it sounds a bit like a waste of time, but hey, we are just humans after all.

Suppose the science comes to a point, where they declare that the human race now can choose to become immortal, something that would not suprise me, what would happen? We would get time to travel vast distances in space, but what would happen to our minds? No more need to hurry to do this and that. We can use 10.000 years to improve at something or enjoy a hobby for a really long long time, but will we be happier? Will the curiosity survive? Will the first generation of long living humans commit suicide at a higher rate than later generations? I wonder....

Back