South Carolina House passes illegal immigration bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
SC drivers license does. Proof of citizenship/immigrant status is required to get a SC drivers license or ID card.

Not in our state.

No, because they'll only be checking on people they stop for other probable cause or traffic violations.

Thank you for providing concrete facts for the readers rather than making up things along the way regarding citizenship/immigant status in SC.

If they flee to other states.....it worked

Indeed. That alone ought to be proof enough. Let other states enjoy the increased number of illegals coming over. Maybe they'll finally get the message, too?

Indeed. That alone ought to be proof enough. Let other states enjoy the increased number of illegals coming over. Maybe they'll finally get the message, too?

That's fine, we can dumping a lot of illegal immigrants to your state and used all of your taxes. :lol:

nah. I have something better. Take a massive chunk of fund from Drug War for this :)

Your idea isn't bad but it will happen if there is supermajority of democrats in the senate and the house.

No one gets a SC drivers license or ID card without proof of citizenship. If the person stopped has a valid SC drivers license or ID card, then that's all they need for proof. The police don't ask for "papers."

If the person that's stopped as a suspect in a crime, and they don't have an ID card, then the police can investigate further. They must have probable cause to stop someone in the first place.

But the law specifically states that they can ask for citizenship documentation.

How do you know the police don't ask for "papers" or that they wouldn't do so once this law came into effect?

Probable cause is a joke. They can make up anything they want to and call it probable cause. One of the most often used is, "You were weaving in your lane."

Racial profiling is already a problem in this country. Passing laws such as the above only increases the incidents.

Thank you for providing concrete facts for the readers rather than making up things along the way regarding citizenship/immigant status in SC.

Concrete proof of what? I see no proof of anything.

SC drivers license does. Proof of citizenship/immigrant status is required to get a SC drivers license or ID card.

Not in our state.

No, because they'll only be checking on people they stop for other probable cause or traffic violations.

Yeah, there's that "probable cause" again. It has never even been operationally defined within the law. Sort of a subjective, catch all phrase for "I'll make something up if I need to."

It has nothing to do with race or appearance.

You cannot possibly actually believe that. If it has nothing to do with race or appearance, what is this law all about? How many blonde haired, blue eyed people do you think will be asked for documentation?

That's baloney. It's not the same at all.

A law such as this most certainly opens the door for it to be that way. BTW, it still happens with blacks in many areas of this country.

In most states, require to get driver license is birth certificate and SSN (both of them in original copy), I believe so. That's pretty much to proof of citizenship, if not then original copy of green card or visa are required.

see below. and funding. and discrimination issue.
How is it discrimination?

for starter - no one should be afraid of traveling around without being suspected of being an illegal alien.
If they're not an illegal alien, and they're not breaking any laws, then there is nothing to fear.

and also a burden for state and local police.
They check ID's anyway when they stop people.

and also flooding federal government with inquiries? not good.
I don't see that happening.

Gotcha. Immigrants are okay...as long as they aren't in your state.
Immigrants are OK in our state, as long as they're legal. In fact, they are welcome.

If they aren't legal, they aren't immigrants; they are aliens.

I have no doubt that the Federal Courts will strike this one down, just as they have the other racist, punitive, and discriminatory laws that other states have attempted to pass.

A law such as this most certainly opens the door for it to be that way.
How?

BTW, it still happens with blacks in many areas of this country.
Even in areas without immigration legislation, so what does that prove? It proves that state immigration laws have zero to do with racial discrimination.

I have no doubt that the Federal Courts will strike this one down, just as they have the other racist, punitive, and discriminatory laws that other states have attempted to pass.
They might try to "strike it down," as you say, but it has nothing to do with being racist, punitive, or discriminatory.

Show me the racist, punitive, or discriminatory sections in the bill.

How?

Even in areas without immigration legislation, so what does that prove? It proves that state immigration laws have zero to do with racial discrimination.

It proves that racial profiling does exist, and laws like this do nothing more than open the door for it to increase.

But, like I said, no worry. The Federal Courts will strike this one down just as they have done with the other racist and discriminatory laws of this nature that other states have tried to pass.

They might try to "strike it down," as you say, but it has nothing to do with being racist, punitive, or discriminatory.

Show me the racist, punitive, or discriminatory sections in the bill.

Those are the grounds that the Federal Courts use in consideration of whether to strike the law or not.

If you can't see the racism and the discrimination inherent in laws such as these, then I truly feel sorry for you.

It proves that racial profiling does exist, and laws like this do nothing more than open the door for it to increase.
What racial profiling? Where is that in the bill?

But, like I said, no worry. The Federal Courts will strike this one down just as they have done with the other racist and discriminatory laws of this nature that other states have tried to pass.
Show me the racist and discriminatory language of the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back