soundbite: new hearing device

Wirelessly posted

Banjo said:
you might want to try brushing your teeth sometimes :)

That doesn't always help. Some people's own saliva can be destructive to their own teeth, no matter how often they brush.

I am one of those poor unfortunate bastards. I inherited it from my biological dad-- a weak enamel which wear down every year.

Only thing I can do is limit acidic food and drinks.

How odd this device is. I have otosclerosis, so that is conductive hearing loss, currently single-sided. I don't think I am interested in this device. It says you still have to wear a microphone behind the ear, so I'll just stick with my BTE hearing aid, and not have junk in my mouth...

I would imagine if someone get into fighting and punch in the face or cheek. That would be a big problem.

Beside, the idea of this new technology that looks too gross to me.

Yeah I too prefer such hearing aids as it could serve thousands of people who suffer from hearing loss. Do remember precaution is better than cure. So for those who exposed to loud noise should wear ear muffs.

Hearing Device Innovation - About SoundBite

SoundBiteSoundBite hearing system is the world's first and only non-surgical and removable hearing solution designed to imperceptibly transmit sound via the teeth to help people who are essentially deaf in one ear regain spatial hearing ability and rejoin the conversation of life. It employs a well-established principle called bone conduction to deliver clear, high quality sound to the inner ear. Nearly invisible when worn, the SoundBite system consists of an easy to insert and remove ITM (in-the-mouth) hearing device – which is custom made to fit around either the upper left or right back teeth – and a small microphone unit worn behind the ear. No modifications to the teeth are required.

This system is currently for investigational use only with clinical trials now underway intended to support an initial filing for FDA 510(k) clearance to treat single sided deafness. Intended future indications include conductive and mixed hearing loss.

This has been in clinical trials for the past 8 years or so. It is basically a bone conduction hearing aid and nothing more. It won't correct sensorineural hearing loss.
(When medgadget.com covered this 5 years ago and called it "a cochlear hearing aid" I sent SO MANY EMAILS asking who in the hell was the "physician" who was writing these articles. It turned out to be an undergraduate intern. He honestly didn't know that there was a difference between conductive and sensironeural hearing loss.
I'm just saying be cautious about popular science writing. The authors rarely have more than a cursory framilarity with the subject.)
Sound bite now seems to be advertised for single sided deafness and nothing else. So, you wear a hearing aid microphone in one ear that transmits to your contralateral mandible which goes to your cochlea. Great if you have working cochleas.

I wonder how it will sound, coming out the other end :giggle:

I imagine there'd be a lot of feedback :lol:
Okay okay, I promise I didn't just jump in for butt jokes. It looks interesting? Not my cup of tea and not something I could benefit from anyway. You'd think it would have to be pretty waterproof, sitting in saliva day in and day out- I wonder if it would wear down from that.

Back