soundbite: new hearing device

lovezebras

Reaction score
Hearing Device Innovation - About SoundBite

SoundBiteSoundBite hearing system is the world's first and only non-surgical and removable hearing solution designed to imperceptibly transmit sound via the teeth to help people who are essentially deaf in one ear regain spatial hearing ability and rejoin the conversation of life. It employs a well-established principle called bone conduction to deliver clear, high quality sound to the inner ear. Nearly invisible when worn, the SoundBite system consists of an easy to insert and remove ITM (in-the-mouth) hearing device – which is custom made to fit around either the upper left or right back teeth – and a small microphone unit worn behind the ear. No modifications to the teeth are required.

This system is currently for investigational use only with clinical trials now underway intended to support an initial filing for FDA 510(k) clearance to treat single sided deafness. Intended future indications include conductive and mixed hearing loss.

Interesting. Sounds like this would best be used for bone conduction losses only, though.

it says mixed and conductive so yes it's spose to be like a BAHA but w/o surgery

Isn't the BAHA a "small subset" of persons with hearing difficulties? "Sensorneural" being the most. I understand. Some time in the future possibly.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

the BAHA is not for sensorineural loss it is for conductive, mixed loss, or single sided deafness. The BAHA uses bone conduction as does the soundbite device

The BAHA is often used when there are complications regarding the use of a normal BTE aid or similar. For example, if people have absent ear canals, a BAHA may be a suitable alternative.

This "ITM" aid sounds interesting but is it practical? What about when you eat? Do you have to sacrifice your hearing? What if you accidentally swallow it? Surely the batteries can be harmful? You'd think they would do a better job with the gif animation. It looks gross.

Isn't the BAHA a "small subset" of persons with hearing difficulties? "Sensorneural" being the most. I understand. Some time in the future possibly.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

BAHA isn't a type of hearing loss - it's the name of a specific type hearing aid called a Bone Anchored Hearing Aid. It's typically used for those with conductive (or mainly conductive) hearing loss, and for those with SSD.

The 5 types of hearing loss are:

Conductive hearing loss (who may elect to use HA or BAHA)

Sensorineural hearing loss (who may elect to use HA or CI)

Central hearing loss
(those with AN may elect to use CI, APD doesn't typically benefit from HA but my benefit from FM)

Functional hearing loss (is the term often used for psychological/emotional condition in which the person is technically able hear, but does not respond to sounds etc. It is not "audiological hearing loss" as such amplification isn't recommended or helpful. "Functional Hearing loss" is not the same as when people with Hoh or APD describe themselves as "functionally deaf" in certain situations ie noise, crowds, etc)

Mixed hearing loss
which is any combination of the above (who may elect to use HA or BAHA or CI)

The BAHA is often used when there are complications regarding the use of a normal BTE aid or similar. For example, if people have absent ear canals, a BAHA may be a suitable alternative.

This "ITM" aid sounds interesting but is it practical? What about when you eat? Do you have to sacrifice your hearing? What if you accidentally swallow it? Surely the batteries can be harmful? You'd think they would do a better job with the gif animation. It looks gross.

I don't think its practical..it looks gross to have in the mouth..and eating you'd prob have to take it out..you wouldn't have to sacrifice your hearing though because there is no surgery for the device..the casing is special to obvs mitigate the risk factor of the battery leaking etc .but def looks gross I wouldn't use it if even if I was a candidate...just thought it was an interesting device and worth posting:)

I think BAHA is a much better and more useful device than this "Soundbite" espeically since the Sound bit user STILL has a mic at ear level.

Having something in your mouth all the time would likely cause other issues like TMJ etc from having an altered bite etc - not to mention what happens if you swallow it?

Yeah, I'm still wondering that. My guess is that you will end up with a very sore ass the next day. I think I will pass...

Just picture having to LOOK for it ... naw, I'll skip - thanks but no thanks

yeah how does the device STAY on the tooth when using it, while speaking, eating/drinking, etc? From looking at the photos on the site, I just don't get it.

interesting. I heard about this concept - "sound thru teeth" in Popular Science magazine or something. I think somebody proposed an idea of making "bluetooth earpiece" to function like this a while back... which is why there are tons of products like this -

images

This kind of jawbone concept has been around for a long time but it's mostly used by military (or maybe CIA???) because it's very hard to communicate with loud noise in background so they have a microphone attached to your throat. To listen - the transmitter is placed on your jawbone which sends sound thru jawbone.

This SoundBite concept makes sense but the transmitter has to be all the way back since it's next to jawbone which is close to your hearing area.

Bone = great sound conductor

Invention Awards: A Hearing Aid That Uses Bones to Conduct Sound | Popular Science
soundbiteinfo.jpg

yeah how does the device STAY on the tooth when using it, while speaking, eating/drinking, etc? From looking at the photos on the site, I just don't get it.

We've already had invisalign for a while so it's doable. If people really need it, they'll work around with it. Beside..... we cannot wear our HA/CI for swimming, showering, or sleeping anyway.

will it protect my teeth from getting decay? :hmm: i am tired of paying lot of $$ for crowns!!!

you might want to try brushing your teeth sometimes :)

That doesn't always help. Some people's own saliva can be destructive to their own teeth, no matter how often they brush.

Back