Sound and Fury: update

R2D2

Reaction score
I haven't seen the original movie as we didn't get it out in the sticks here in Australia but I have read about it while doing research on CIs. I saw this link on an update on the Artinians posted on another website and thought that some of you more familiar with the story might be interested in it.

http://www.handsandvoices.org/articles/misc/V8-4_soundfury.htm

R2D2 said:
I haven't seen the original movie as we didn't get it out in the sticks here in Australia but I have read about it while doing research on CIs. I saw this link on an update on the Artinians posted on another website and thought that some of you more familiar with the story might be interested in it.

http://www.handsandvoices.org/articles/misc/V8-4_soundfury.htm
Thanks for the link to the article :thumb: i was looking for that to share with my readers!

Aww I haven't seen this movie yet either but would love to see it one day, I'm going to save that link in my file, Thank you so much for being that up, I enjoy reading it and find it quite interesting as well too...

:smiling:

I have Sound and Fury video here. I heard that they will make new film Sound and Fury part II. I would love to see part II.

Liebling:-))) said:
I have Sound and Fury video here. I heard that they will make new film Sound and Fury part II. I would love to see part II.

You do? was it a good movie?

^Angel^ said:
Aww I haven't seen this movie yet either but would love to see it one day, I'm going to save that link in my file, Thank you so much for being that up, I enjoy reading it and find it quite interesting as well too...

:smiling:
check the library to see if they have one in videotape :) so you can borrow ;)

I did that when there was no DVD now Netflix has them in DVD so if you are member of NetFlix or Blockbuster, you can rent for a fee but library no fee though :)

Oh I prefer DVD because there's extras footages though..

Thank you so much guys, I will look for it this weekend!

^Angel^ said:
It's an excellent movie, showing the conflicts withing a family.

I actually bought it because I want friends and family to see it as well.

The conflict within a deaf/hearing family is shown. No information about a hearing family making a choice for their child. (The hearing family having to make a decision is part of a deaf family)

Cloggy said:

The conflict within a deaf/hearing family is shown. No information about a hearing family making a choice for their child. (The hearing family having to make a decision is part of a deaf family)

That was smart, since you wanted to show your friends and family the reason why you choose to implant your child with CI and to understand the reason behind it all...

I'm looking forward seeing this movie, then I would understand more clearly on where you're coming from as a parent :) ...

^Angel^ said:

wow very good film... I still watch video repeatly.... wow very interesting... I would recommend you to rent the video.

I studied their discussion carefully after watch them freqently.

Deaf parent Nita and Peter and their deaf daughter Heather: Peter's hearing brother Chris and his wife (she's interpreter and her parents are deaf) and baby twins (one of twins are deaf) who had CI...

Heather is a bright girl & knows exactly what she really wants. Of course I know Marianne is a wonderful grandmother (Peter's and Chris's mother) but....

There're hot debate between Peter & Nita and Chris & his wife over agree and disagree...

Chris and his wife determined to implant one of their baby twins with CI.

Yes I can see that the Grandma is the one who push Heather to CI Surgery, that's how she caused the family problem because she doesn't respect Heather's parent's decision.

Sadly that way what she influence Heather over phone talking. You can talk/hear the phone when you has CI etc.

Heather asked Grandma where is a book at BQQ party. Grandma replied in intention way "CI book?, oh I forget". Heather did not asked for CI book but book. It make Heather's parents mad because they don't want to confuse her over that.

Grandma accused Heather's parents as bad parents. That's how blow up... What a terrible.

Nita want to wait first until she is 100% sure. She DID search with her family to visit 2 parents of CI children.

No wonder, Nita explained Heather why she & Peter decided for not implant her with CI yet because they think Heather is too young to have it implant. I'm agree with Nita saying this because Heather was 5 years old which it's too young to understand. One thing I'm wondering how/where Heather get that idea of CI??? Of course it's her Grandma. That's why Nita rather to wait until Heather is old enough to know exactly what she really want.

Well, few months later Heather said, "I don't want CI." Nita said to her: This is your decision. Heather replied, "You told me that it's your decision." Nita replied back: This is our decision. Nita knows that Heather was confused between her Grandma & parents. The reason is Nita & family had to move away to Maryland to have their peace without get pressure from hearing culture to see what Heather really want. I think the reason they did because they want to let Heather's decision herself either she really want or not since she was in Maryland.

Heather's parents are happy to support Heather's choice to have CI. Nita knows what Heather want exactly without get influence from her Grandma so she let her daughter have it. I applause her for that.

Well, I'm not anti-CI as what everyone thinks. I respect your choice to have it implant because it's your own decision. I would be happy to support my children's choice if they really want to have CI. I would do an exactly same as Heather's mother. I like her way of educate her daughter to learn good example of hearing & deaf cultures. Yes, Iím agree with Nita's decision for not implant Heather with CI yet. Why? Because she knows that her Grandma, the one who influence Heather. Heather's parents search to collect good/bad advantages over CI. That's what Peter (Heather's Dad) told deaf parents of CI daughter about. They answer Peter's, Nita's & Heather's question honestly.

What I saw the difference between hearing & deaf parents over their children. I like what deaf parents support their daughter's wish to have CI. She's happy but it's VERY sad about Selby (CI daughter of hearing parents) & her personality because her hearing parents pulled her to hearing culture. She didn't know what deaf is and not even use sign language. I can say that her parents never accept that she is really deaf. I know it's very sad.

I rather to let my children to enjoy their life before start school. I can tell the difference between Selby & Heather. What a sad because Selby do is face a lot of speech developments, therapy, auditory, audiologist etc etc etc which it is too much for her. Selby didn't know what Deaf is & didn't know what ASL stand for.

Selby's personality is an exactly same as what my interpreter for the deaf said to me what she saw CI children at school. She herself has a deaf son but she would not do that because she believes to support her son's choice. I can say something psychological damage on Selby.

The CI surgery is show... It's horrible to see how they did with baby twin's ear... :ugh2: It makes me, my hubby & boys sick...

Now I heard the update about them. Heather got CI age 11 or 12 years old at last and then her mother Nita as well.. They are going to make a new film part II... It got me curious and would love to see it...

I hope my answer satisfy your curious question, Angel... :thumb:

Cloggy said:

Is it Sound and Fury part I or II? What I have is part I.

^Angel^ said:
That was smart, since you wanted to show your friends and family the reason why you choose to implant your child with CI and to understand the reason behind it all...

I'm looking forward seeing this movie, then I would understand more clearly on where you're coming from as a parent :) ...

Yes, that' s why I want to see part II...

^Angel^ said:

No, not to show why we chose to implant. That doesn't come across too well.

More to show the conflict between the hearing world and the deaf world. Show how the (some people in the) Deaf world looks upon it.

Ahh I get it now, Thanks for explaining it to me Cloggy

LOL Thanks Liebling, yes it helps answering my questions I may have

Liebling:-))) said:
Now I heard the update about them. Heather got CI age 11 or 12 years old at last and then her mother Nita as well.. They are going to make a new film part II... It got me curious and would love to see it...

Liebling,

No, Heather was in the movie in 2000 as 6 yr sold then in Sept 2002 Heather and her brother got a CI. So that would means she was 8yrs when she got it. just that right now she's 11 or 12 now.

The article shows that Nita got CI in March 2002 so I guess it is typo in the year so I believe it is actually March 2003 because Heather and Timothy got them before her mother did. then finally C.J. got one at 6 yrs old in 2004.

So what would Part II be about? The article by Hands and Voice does not mention anything. on my forum, I only mention that I hope they will do another documentary to update us. but looks like it hasn't been done and probably too late to document their journey thru their getting CI since ABC's Good Morning America already did that back in 2003.

:shock: Liebling,

The grandma is the one who shovel CI down her grand-daughter's throat? :shock:

That's something I would not even watch, I don't like when people are pushing when it comes to Cochlear Implants. But, I sure like this person Nita thou. ;)

Back