SorensonVRS to take over terps in San Diego and Ann Arbor, Michigan

NightwarriorJin

Reaction score
I see as trouble for San Diegians considering theres some interpreter that did lot of community services (such as college, and DCS (Deaf Community Service of San Diego))

http://www.sorensonvrs.com/company/press_release_full.php?pr_id=48

"Opening more interpreter centers allows us to respond to increased call levels and keep customer wait-times to a minimum."

whats their definitation of "minimum" when it come to respond of the calls? Most (if all) of Sorenson's competitors were able to answer less than 1 minute, comparing to 15-30 minute of Sorenson's wait time.

:werd:
We San Diegans already knew about Soreson's aductions of our local interpreters. I have been seeing my formers interp on the VRS when I used Soreson since September. It did make my calls easier because those interps know my name, how to pronouce it correct and know my pace/style of signs so :dunno: I don't appreciate that the company took away the interps and limited the interps' ability to work free-lance or somewhere else.

[EDITED]
BUT this article means MORE bad news for us-- We do have a large pool of interps... that just GRADUATED FROM SOME INTERPRETING PROGRAM AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE. We have four community colleges that provide interps (Mesa, City, Palomar, and Grossmont *?*) so it is rather common to see naive interps....
With jobs and salary offering, those newbies are surely to grab the jobs. And you will see a new generation of lousy, awkward interps taking your calls. Why? Because some comm college have the WORST ASL teachers ever. And those interps never never hang out with Deaf people before so they have no ability of understanding different styles of each Deaf individual...
It do show you which college is GOOD at teaching THE CODE OF ETHICS to the interps... (rooting for Palomar) no interps from Palomar are victims of VRS companies.

I have heard lot of good stuff about Palomar, but were unsure about other college. I didnt know that City of SD College is offering, so far according to my knowledge, I know that Mesa and Grossmont did have some deaf community exposure there. But City of SD, not that I heard of.

Yeah, I already made another post regarding quality of SorensonVRS...
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=9820

(shurgs)

Back