Quality of Interpreter @ SorensonVRS

NightwarriorJin

Reaction score
I am curious about how you like/dislike SorensonVRS. For me, I dont really have a great experience with SorensonVRS. What really annoys me is the way they greet it "Thank you for calling SVRS. Interpreter Number <#> I see that you would like to call <phone number> Is that correct? What is the name you want to talk with?" while other VRS provider is just simple and short "<provider>VRS <#>. Attempt to connect your call please wait" I have noticed that SorensonVRS does not show its ringing. which is another disappointment for me because its nice to know how many ringing so you can see before reaching to an answering machine.

My BIG question is, is ALL sorenson interpreter cerficated? I am struggling to see HALF of them being cerficated consdiering I often caught them misvoicing me (I am a good lipreader, thank goodness) and half of them doesnt use facial expression showing the tone of the hearing person.

I prefer Hands On VRS (www.hovrs.com) and HIPVRS (www.hipvrs.com) because they are excellent on voicing the right concept and sign clearly with facial expression.

Also I had asked one of my hearing friend about the VRS service as I called her using both SorensonVRS and HOVRS. I am not surprised when she told me that Sorenson is like "monotone" while HOVRS did fit my personality. She can tell if I am kidding or not when using HOVRS, but with Sorenson, She cannot tell if I were kidding or not. That is a big difference. Also She did mentioned that with Sorenson, theres lot of lag time and the interpreters tend to sound awkward and HOVRS sound very confident when voicing me.

Enuff typing, I want to hear you out. :)

NW

PS You can use other VRS provider on VP-100. You just need to know how the nameserver work ;-)

I watched a friend of mine use the service once. Her interpreter signed as she talked. As for interpreting, that's why I never really liked VRS. Everyone signs differently. You can SIGN 1 word in 5 ways, but you can TYPE 1 word in 1 way. I rather be chatting with my friends through AIM or use IP relay. I can type one word and the operator sees it as that word... no matter how I type it. However, if I sign it... then did I sign it right? That's the problem.

hmm i'm interesting in hearing other people's option.. i'm thinking about getting a VRS system after i get high speed cable internet

NightwarriorJin said:
I am curious about how you like/dislike SorensonVRS. For me, I dont really have a great experience with SorensonVRS. What really annoys me is the way they greet it "Thank you for calling SVRS. Interpreter Number <#> I see that you would like to call <phone number> Is that correct? What is the name you want to talk with?" while other VRS provider is just simple and short "<provider>VRS <#>. Attempt to connect your call please wait" I have noticed that SorensonVRS does not show its ringing. which is another disappointment for me because its nice to know how many ringing so you can see before reaching to an answering machine.

My BIG question is, is ALL sorenson interpreter cerficated? I am struggling to see HALF of them being cerficated consdiering I often caught them misvoicing me (I am a good lipreader, thank goodness) and half of them doesnt use facial expression showing the tone of the hearing person.

I prefer Hands On VRS (www.hovrs.com) and HIPVRS (www.hipvrs.com) because they are excellent on voicing the right concept and sign clearly with facial expression.

Also I had asked one of my hearing friend about the VRS service as I called her using both SorensonVRS and HOVRS. I am not surprised when she told me that Sorenson is like "monotone" while HOVRS did fit my personality. She can tell if I am kidding or not when using HOVRS, but with Sorenson, She cannot tell if I were kidding or not. That is a big difference. Also She did mentioned that with Sorenson, theres lot of lag time and the interpreters tend to sound awkward and HOVRS sound very confident when voicing me.

NW

PS You can use other VRS provider on VP-100. You just need to know how the nameserver work ;-)

You talkin' about Bewitched? ;)

NightwarriorJin said:

NW

Yes it can get anoying I have VCO set up on my VP-100 and they always ask me who to ask for and I have to say it's a VCO call I will voice my self. And they dont tell you if it is woman or child who answers the phone makes me have to ask more questions. HOVRS is cool !

Last night I waited 20 min for the terp for sorenson ugh. HOVRS always imediatly answer. I hung up and call again and wait 10 more min. Sometimes terp ask if it is ok someone view their training. Once I called pizza hut and terp told guy she has vco call for him I thought the purpose of vco was so you can talk your self and not have to explain relay to the other person ?

Thats why we have different choices of VRS providers so if one becomes too slow, or political, or whatever reason cant help you. If one VRS site cant help you, you can always move onto the next site on the list.

Richard

The issue with Sorenson is that you DON'T have that choice -- you can only use Sorenson's VRS services from the VP-100*. If you have a D-Link DVC-1000 videophone or other videophone that is sometimes given out by Sprint, HOVRS, or Hamilton, then you still have a complete range of choices.

*most people who have the VP-100 aren't technologically skilled enough to want to learn how to manipulate IP addresses for the other VRS providers.

Dennis said:
The issue with Sorenson is that you DON'T have that choice -- you can only use Sorenson's VRS services from the VP-100*. If you have a D-Link DVC-1000 videophone or other videophone that is sometimes given out by Sprint, HOVRS, or Hamilton, then you still have a complete range of choices.

*most people who have the VP-100 aren't technologically skilled enough to want to learn how to manipulate IP addresses for the other VRS providers.

Like who? I am curious :-P

About Complain

Well if you notice about Relay didn't not their job but I don't like one interpreter. Just one guy and that he looks so flat and boring. Most of the time skipping a lot words.

If the interpreter doesn't do their job. Just put the interpreter number and the time when you called. So you can complain their supervior.

HOVRS vs Sorenson VR

I did the Sorenson to contact HOVRS in different way and it successful. I look at them and I like Sorenson VRS better because their speed is higher than the other. Also, the interpreter looks friendly but i dont like the blue background.

So I rather stick with sorenson, about waiting so long because Sorenson is growing and need get more interpreter in future. Beside, I don't think that VRS need be 24 hours. I could said 20 percent are using computer or night person and remain is sleep.

They removed it a while ago. They do actually monitor as its required for FCC reports (they report by minutes in order to get some reimburse for their services) Same with other VRS. I do not know how much information is recorded for this purpose, but I believe the phone number and how much minute it is, thats it. Most VRS (thats my opinion, not a fact) dont record its caller's usage, just who call to and minutes.

Dennis, can you check with SprintVRS regarding this?

As far as I know:

It is against FCC regulations to monitor ANY kind of relay service usage, other than for totaling the number of minutes for billing the state and federal government. That's it.

Any other kind of monitoring is strictly prohibited by federal law or something.

-----------------

Back on point: What good is the "quality" of interpreters if you can't use the service right when you want to? Sorenson promises "relay", tell me, do hearing people really have to wait for an operator to help them make all their phone calls? No? Then why the heck should you be forced to use them?

I just think sorenson hires the worst interpreters. I don't know why they're even in business if they don't care about the deaf community. That's ridiculous. If I were you guys I would switch over to Sprint or another VRS provider.

I don't have SorensonVRS yet -- but am going to order one for myself as it's free. ;) Cool, hey? Saw a friend talk with his mother via Sorenson's and it was COOL! Very nice and easy to use. I mean his mother was in another state and he in California, way cool. :)

You can get a free VP from Hands On (HOVRS) too. Better to get HOVRS free VP then you have choice on which VRS to use. Not locked in like with Sorenson.

Back