Sorenson VRS router issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there I'm wondering why the fast internet is running slower through that router connected to my computer. Is there a way to configure the router to make it run faster. I am not sure if the router isn't "compatible" with Macs. Does anyone have the same problem? It used to run fast on a different router that isn't a D-link. It is a Sorenson VRS router.

I believe that Sorenson VRS has no support to Mac users so that's why I'm here to post.
put your other router back in place and remove the sorenson one

^^

It won't work that way if I simply remove the SR-200 router because the VP won't support ANY router on the market.

On the other note, the speed is good with the compusa router but sucks with the SR-200 router. I hope someone will find a way around that...if not, I'll go look elsewhere for help.

^^

It won't work that way if I simply remove the SR-200 router because the VP won't support ANY router on the market.

On the other note, the speed is good with the compusa router but sucks with the SR-200 router. I hope someone will find a way around that...if not, I'll go look elsewhere for help.
are you able to get 2nd ip address from your high speed provider?
If you can then ditch router and go the ethernet hub route.

my provider is Cox and I use NetGear 5 port switched Fast Ethernet Hub and two of my mac is hooked to that hub and my VP is also hooked to that hub.

and from my provider, I get 1 standard connection (ip address) and I go online to add 2 more ip address for my other mac and VP so in total of 3 ip address. I don't have to deal with router hassle. so two of my mac has firewall built in and configured correctly. VP doesn't need one.

It is best that way because I can remote control my macs when I go on trip. in other thread I mentioned that I had trouble with SR200 (Sorenson's router) where it locked up.

^^

I removed the sorenson router and put my Linksys back in place and everything works fine.

The Compusa router runs on BR-6204Wg engine which is branded by Edimax, possibility re-branded to Compusa.

Edimax page says, "Open the Internet Explorer. Type in http://192.168.2.1 hit Enter. The Login window will appear. Type in the default username admin, password 1234. Click on Login. Then you can configure the router."

What you would need to do is set up the VP in the DMZ host by going General Setup > Firwall, check "enable" then fill in vp address (I suggest 192.168.2.125 to make it simple) Then click apply.

Then go to VP setup> network >address set IP address to 192.168.2.125

When you've done that the vp should work with the router. If it won't, or you keep gettingblack screens it could be one of those routers that just won't work wwith a vp. However, there's no way to tell until you do it.

Speed issues is something your ISP should be able to solve.

Edimax page says, "Open the Internet Explorer. Type in http://192.168.2.1 hit Enter. The Login window will appear. Type in the default username admin, password 1234. Click on Login. Then you can configure the router."

What you would need to do is set up the VP in the DMZ host by going General Setup > Firwall, check "enable" then fill in vp address (I suggest 192.168.2.125 to make it simple) Then click apply.

Then go to VP setup> network >address set IP address to 192.168.2.125

When you've done that the vp should work with the router. If it won't, or you keep gettingblack screens it could be one of those routers that just won't work wwith a vp. However, there's no way to tell until you do it.

Speed issues is something your ISP should be able to solve.

Thanks, I will try that method and see if that works. Will let you guys know that if it works good or not.

are you able to get 2nd ip address from your high speed provider?
If you can then ditch router and go the ethernet hub route.

my provider is Cox and I use NetGear 5 port switched Fast Ethernet Hub and two of my mac is hooked to that hub and my VP is also hooked to that hub.

and from my provider, I get 1 standard connection (ip address) and I go online to add 2 more ip address for my other mac and VP so in total of 3 ip address. I don't have to deal with router hassle. so two of my mac has firewall built in and configured correctly. VP doesn't need one.

It is best that way because I can remote control my macs when I go on trip. in other thread I mentioned that I had trouble with SR200 (Sorenson's router) where it locked up.

I heard it costs extra to get a 2nd IP address so I'm not going for that. Thanks for asking. :D My friend had to pay extra for that.

dkf747, thanks so much and the VP worked with it pretty good. Time to ditch that outdated SR-200 router. ;) Thanks everyone for being patient with me and I'm glad it's working fine for now. Will let ya'll know the latest news in the long run.

I just found out that I cannot recieve calls and I get "missed calls" on the list. I don't see any detailed information from sorensonvrs web site on configuring the settings in the routers to make the VP receive calls that were already preset in the SR-200 router like the virtual server, etc like that. I know I had the DMZ and the VP IP set correctly.

I heard it costs extra to get a 2nd IP address so I'm not going for that. Thanks for asking. :D My friend had to pay extra for that.
yes, true, 6 bucks each. worth it than deal with router hassle which take your time and troubles. *shrug*

Although when I buy Airport Extreme base station, I may use it as router...

yes, true, 6 bucks each. worth it than deal with router hassle which take your time and troubles. *shrug*

Yeah, I think I will call up my cable ISP to ask how much it cost for extra IP addresses. I think I have a network hub laying around somewhere here. I know that Comcast charges $5 for 2 IP addresses. 4 IPs for $10. I am under a different cable company, though.

My DSL don't offers extra IP address, also I need extra IP address for Xbox Live.

I just found out that I cannot recieve calls and I get "missed calls" on the list. I don't see any detailed information from sorensonvrs web site on configuring the settings in the routers to make the VP receive calls that were already preset in the SR-200 router like the virtual server, etc like that. I know I had the DMZ and the VP IP set correctly.

If the DMZ* is set correctly, then it's likely the router is one of those that won't work with the VP-x00. I would either get a D-Link router, or go back to the Sorenson one.

*The DMZ should allow outgoing and incoming calls, but for some reason, some routers just won't work.

If the DMZ* is set correctly, then it's likely the router is one of those that won't work with the VP-x00. I would either get a D-Link router, or go back to the Sorenson one.

*The DMZ should allow outgoing and incoming calls, but for some reason, some routers just won't work.

Most routers have port forwarding stuff to open it up. I tried that and it still don't work. I hate when we are forced to use D-link routers instead of general routers that I can configure it to work. I think it's ridiclous.

Yeah, I think I will call up my cable ISP to ask how much it cost for extra IP addresses. I think I have a network hub laying around somewhere here. I know that Comcast charges $5 for 2 IP addresses. 4 IPs for $10. I am under a different cable company, though.

I just called them and they said they don't sell extra IP addresses on a residential line, they only offer it on a business line with static IP, which is really expensive. I think they don't want people using the servers under the residential lines.

right price varies among providers

Most routers have port forwarding stuff to open it up. I tried that and it still don't work. I hate when we are forced to use D-link routers instead of general routers that I can configure it to work. I think it's ridiclous.

D-Link routers are general routers. There are other routers that do work, but there's nothing wrong with D-Link. Are you confusing Sorensons router with D-Links?

BTW, I would never recommend a router branded, "CompUSA".

D-Link routers are general routers. There are other routers that do work, but there's nothing wrong with D-Link. Are you confusing Sorensons router with D-Links?

BTW, I would never recommend a router branded, "CompUSA".

Let me tell you something, D-link has poorly written software that has very old protocol that comes far back in Windows 95 days....this is why I see internet running slow on a Macintosh computer. I'm not confusing with Sorenson router with D-link, they're BOTH the same thing. It's a D-link rebranded to Sorenson router. If you look at the case design and the exact same voltage power input, it's obivously a d-link contracted with Sorenson VRS, the only difference is the software in the router is different but similar protocol inside it. All D-links I have tried are all slow on a Mac computers. The OLD D-link 604 and the Sorenson VR-200 router behaves the SAME. The D-link 524WG behaves the same, too. I can never recommend a D-link because of the compability with Mac computers and the software is poorly written up to the latest standards.

Why do you don't recommend Compusa routers? They work good and internet runs fast from that router. I haven't had problem with it, except it's not fully compatible with the VP.

Well, I'm not having problems with my d-ling wbr-1310, but I agree I would rather have linksys.

The name of the store on it (CompUSA) screams "cheap!", but I'll take your word for it that it works good. Not working with the VP is another reason.

Well, I'm not having problems with my d-ling wbr-1310, but I agree I would rather have linksys.

The name of the store on it (CompUSA) screams "cheap!", but I'll take your word for it that it works good. Not working with the VP is another reason.

Yeah, I got the CompUSA router for $15 on sale, lol. It wasn't a bank breaker, at least.

Yes, I agree that Linksys are great routers, but after 2003- too bad they don't work 100 percent with VP. I wish Sorenson VRS would create a rebranded Linksys router to work with VP.

It would be fun to experiment different routers on the market to see their support with Sorenson VP, but I don't have the money to spend on it or time to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back