Sorenson VP-200 Use Without Account

I understand that you have only one choice. Do you also use DirecTV for internet? Why don't you move to one of those cities?

https://fiber.google.com/cities/

If you don't want to move out, then pray to God that Google Fiber will come to your area someday in near future. :)

No, DirecTV only offer satellite TV, that all and we use Windstream for DSL internet.

I'm not interested to live in congested suburbs, so I prefer low density suburb, rural and semi-rural.

No this is not true. Yes DirecTV DO have option with Internet called DirecWay. Check website see for yourself. The only downsides with Direcway is they are expensive, secondly not supported for high quality real-time video conferencing.

Don't forget DirecTV and Direcway is owned by HughesNet.

No, DirecTV only offer satellite TV, that all and we use Windstream for DSL internet.

I'm not interested to live in congested suburbs, so I prefer low density suburb, rural and semi-rural.

Wired or wireless?

No this is not true. Yes DirecTV DO have option with Internet called DirecWay. Check website see for yourself. The only downsides with Direcway is they are expensive, secondly not supported for high quality real-time video conferencing.

Don't forget DirecTV and Direcway is owned by HughesNet.

I think you are incorrect.

DirecTV doesn't own DirecWay so DirecWay is owned by HughesNet, and their parent is EchoStar. DirecTV operate as own corporation, so they don't own HughesNet and EchoStar.

Please check sources before you make claim.
DirecTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (they don't own HughesNet, EchoStar)
Hughes Communications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (not owned by DirecTV)
EchoStar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (they own HughesNet and used to own Dish Network until 2008)

Wired or wireless?

Windstream Communications (it was part of old Alltel) is telephone company that offer DSL in my area (high speed internet that wired from home to DSLAM).

It is just like at&t, Verizon, CenturyLink, etc.

For the OP (original poster), take a look at this AllDeaf thread:

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-product...n-use-pc-webcam-call-deaf-hoh-vrs-number.html

That is the best way, currently, for someone who is hearing to make a point-to-point video call to a VRS videophone.

Your grandmother has a VP200 though, which cannot do H.264 to anything that doesn't pretend to be another sorenson videophone. If you can convince her to get the nTouch upgrade from Sorenson, that will make it possible to follow the above instructions and call your grandmother.

As to the rest of of this silly discussion of what is a modem, and what is a router...

First, a quick primer on "layer 1":

The ethernet you are used to is considered "baseband" with carrier sense multiple access with collision detection (CSMA/CD). Think of it as a wire that anyone can transmit digital data at any time. Before transmitting, looking at the signal on the wire we can see if it is busy or not at any given moment and if we should wait our turn to talk. When more than one person tries to transmit accidentally at the same time, a collision is detected, and the transmitters randomly back-off for an increasing amount of time any try again.

There are real electrical limits to the length of a wire that can be used for digital baseband like this, however. A raw digitally encoded signal quickly distorts and becomes unusable at long distances. In order to deal with longer distances and interference along a longer wire from various sources, we need to encode our digital signals using analog "symbols" that can be differentiated easier at the other end. This is where modulation/demodulation come into play.

A modem is a modulator/demodulator. Anything that encodes a square wave digital circuit into an analog signal for transmission is technically a modem. That being said, the word "modem" has typically meant "something I hook up to my phone line", though the cable providers have embraced it to mean "something I hook up to my coax". If you talk about a "modem" with regard to your ONT, while you are technically correct, it gets people emotionally charged because of differences of opinion on what a "modem" is.

On a phone line, a classical modem encodes a digital signal in an analog manner on copper pair over a plain-old telephone service (POTS) line using amplitude shift keying (ASK), frequency shift keying (FSK), phase-shift keying (PSK), etc. This analog audio is encoded yet again by a line card on your local central office switch as an 8khz mulaw 64k digital channel, and is decoded yet again into an analog audio stream by the receiving party.

By removing the load coil on the phone line and using more advanced encodings like orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (ofdm) and quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM), with line cards on the carrier switch on the other side of your copper pair, Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) connections are technically modems as well. From there, the DSLAM routes the network packets.

Cable providers use 75 ohm coax connections to a head-end as channelized "broadband". Each channel has a frequency range on the broadband medium to modulate an analog signal. Technically, these are modems as well, using QAM16, QAM64, etc.

As a next step along that path, Cable providers have actually moved toward hybrid fiber-coax networks, where the fiber is run to a neighborhood and coax is run from there to the houses.

The newest physical plant is fiber to the home (FTTH) where a house gets an Optical Network Termination (ONT) device. The lasers used to transmit an analog optical wave at fixed frequencies transmits the digital data using symbols as the modems do above, OFDM, QAM64, etc.

With Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM) there are actually multiple lasers transmitting separate "channels" over the same optical path at the same time without overlapping or interfering.

A repeater is a network device that regenerates a layer 1 signal on a physical interconnect. Simple repeaters are "lossy" and simply boost signal. More expensive repeaters actually use two layer 1 network interfaces and regenerate the signal entirely to boost the distance with minimal loss/interference.

A bridge is a network device that relays layer 2 network traffic. This means that it has two layer 1 network interfaces, and looks at the framed lower level network packets when receiving/sending them between the network interfaces. Bridges relay packets from any port to all other ports.

A "switch" in ethernet parlance is a network device with many network interfaces that learn the layer 2 network addresses of network devices to smartly relay packets only along to the appropriate unicast address of the destination (only relay packets from one port to another port, when possible). Switches are also capable of picking up network loops (when someone plugs a cable between two ports on the switch) byt using things like 802.1d spanning tree. Moderns switches are also capable of supporting many layer 2 segments (grouping together different layer 2 networks across a number of ports) using things like 802.1q VLAN tagging.

A router is a network device that routes layer 3 network traffic (typically IP, as there really isn't a need to talk about OSI anymore). If you have different layer 2 networks on either side of a router, and the router is relaying layer 3 network traffic, it is a router.

That being said, many things are sold as a "router", particularly to residential customers. Like "modem", it has been used to describe everything from a set-top box, to a MOCA/wireless bridge. Anything that "plugs into the internet" is typically called a "router", whether it is really acting as a router or not.

If you feel passionately about properly educating folks about the true meanings of the words they use, please feel free to do so! But, at the same time, understand that the very providers that these folks are calling for customer support are often misrepresenting the very things you are attempting to educate people about. They aren't trying to be difficult, they are merely repeating what they have been told. Take the time to gently educate, and try not to take it out on them.

Check again! It may not look this way, but it WAS this way several years ago, due to legal issues. Not many people know this. I have been with DirecTV for over 14 years, when I start DirecTV, they actually introduced me to DirecWay as a package together, they did advise me because it is cheaper and looks better with single dish system for both (TV and Internet) both in same dish but different LNB for years I turned down their offer due to cap limitation and very high latency rate EVEN with blazing speed. They don't do that anymore to make court happy. But in reality, HUGHESNET OWNS those businesses, Hughesnet is "Parent".

For example, here is link http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...fer-direcway-broadband-services-71568822.html

I think you are incorrect.

DirecTV doesn't own DirecWay so DirecWay is owned by HughesNet, and their parent is EchoStar. DirecTV operate as own corporation, so they don't own HughesNet and EchoStar.

Please check sources before you make claim.
DirecTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (they don't own HughesNet, EchoStar)
Hughes Communications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (not owned by DirecTV)
EchoStar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (they own HughesNet and used to own Dish Network until 2008)

Anyone remember TTY modem? I used to have TTY modem from 60's that hooks up old Western union "tonnage" TTY machine! After wondering why calling them TTY modem, so I look up term "Modem", the answer is its just short for Modulator/demodulator. After research further, I understand its true function and true meaning. That is why I stand correct, and thanks VRSEngineer for clarification. He was right on when customer calls technical support. Unfortunately being tech support is time consuming and they don't have time to educate down to details how the system works. Hence "Time is money"
My goal is to stay simple and just be basic, that way its easier to understand how shyt works in general.

I had to admit, it was rather incredible to see how Deaf people communicate had transformed from the day I was born which was sometimes in the '60s and fast forward today, I never thought of Videophone specifically designed for Deaf had exploded far faster than for hearing people, but at the same time how hearing people had changed so much from 60's and now.

Check again! It may not look this way, but it WAS this way several years ago, due to legal issues. Not many people know this. I have been with DirecTV for over 14 years, when I start DirecTV, they actually introduced me to DirecWay as a package together, they did advise me because it is cheaper and looks better with single dish system for both (TV and Internet) both in same dish but different LNB for years I turned down their offer due to cap limitation and very high latency rate EVEN with blazing speed. They don't do that anymore to make court happy. But in reality, HUGHESNET OWNS those businesses, Hughesnet is "Parent".

For example, here is link Hughes' DIRECTV to Offer DIRECWAY Broadband Services -- re> NASHVILLE, Tenn., Aug. 2 /PRNewswire/ --

I checked it again and I'm not incorrect.

DirecTV did sell DirecWay via PARTNERSHIP with Hughesnet but Hughesnet never own DirecTV - check Wikipedia source. It is just like DirecTV made partner to sell DSL via AT&T, Verizon, Windstream, CenturyLink, etc but telephone companies never own DirecTV.

Partnership is very different and it doesn't make Hughesnet owns DirecTV.

It is just like Walmart made partnership with Kraft to sell the cheese.

Some articles, including your one is error and it is not first time for me to see article contain errors, even some of CNN articles contain errors so that why they have editors.

Back