Sony cuts price of PlayStation 3 to $410

The sad truth is, we gamers DON'T need BD.

Sony needs to wake up and smell the coffe 'cause this generation isn't exactly into the HD era completely.

At least MS and Nintendo are doing what's really good for us and DVD-rom is still simple for us to use, yet HD era isn't til 2010 or so when HDTVs will be very affordable then.

Sony needs to wake up and smell the coffe 'cause this generation isn't exactly into the HD era completely.

At least MS and Nintendo are doing what's really good for us and DVD-rom is still simple for us to use, yet HD era isn't til 2010 or so when HDTVs will be very affordable then.

How do you know about gamers don't need BD? BD is important, of course.

HDTV is getting cheaper right now, even good deal in local store department.

You need know that PS3 support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p then that work on standard tv.

Check out yourself...
PlayStation.com - PLAYSTATION®3 - Specs

Who fucking cares about BD require HDTV? That's games, not movies.

DefMATRIXense and I don't care about prices because PS3 is 7-8 cores that extremely important, even great for HD and we owns HDTV too, also I have one HDTV with HDMI input in living room.

Few DVD require HDTV like PGR 3 because only support on 720p and HD-DVD is good for Xbox 360.

If PS3 is successful then we wouldn't surprise and increasing more factors on between PS3 and Xbox 360.

Samsung BD player is totally whacked but we can't wait to get Sony BD player in next month for under $1,000 and PS3 in November for $600, also $500 for gamers that who don't need WiFi and want upgrade to 60GB in other time.

At Gally, You are require to have PS3 with WiFi, Xbox 360 network adapter and Wii with WiFi but WiFi add-on can be purchase at store for $500 PS3, also same with some college have WiFi built-in.

MS said if BD is more dominant and successful then MS will make BD add-on for Xbox 360.

I do need to have a blu-ray player and ps3 does which makes me happy. HD era is already beginning a few years ago. Where have you been in the last 3 years? By the way, right now hdtv tvs are cheaper price than 3 years ago and hd-dvd and bluray ,ovies are already start and hdtv broadcasts such as cbs,nbc, espn, hbo, and etc already on which is FREE than they charge it in 3 years ago.

MS is doing what is rerally good for gamers? And then why is ms producting hd-dvd for 360 that 360 gamers demanded?

Ps3 really know what gamers wanted.

Behide those, iwhy are u bitching ps3 if u are not planning to purchase ps3?

I do need to have a blu-ray player and ps3 does which makes me happy. HD era is already beginning a few years ago. Where have you been in the last 3 years? By the way, right now hdtv tvs are cheaper price than 3 years ago and hd-dvd and bluray ,ovies are already start and hdtv broadcasts such as cbs,nbc, espn, hbo, and etc already on which is FREE than they charge it in 3 years ago.

MS is doing what is rerally good for gamers? And then why is ms producting hd-dvd for 360 that 360 gamers demanded?

:gpost:

That's right... :)

maybe you don't understand... blu-ray as blank disc, cost $30 bucks. That mean the game would cost you probably much as $70 to keep for video game industy to make money.

I would rather to stick with game less 50 bucks.

Remember N64? Cost much as $60 and lost lot of customers. As fan decide to take PSOne during cheap disco which was right time than Sega CD does (during wrong time). It's fortunately for PS to launch on right time. Same for PS2 that was wise to launch with DVD in right time, also.

So... It may repeat history itself for PS3 what N64 were.

maybe you don't understand... blu-ray as blank disc, cost $30 bucks. That mean the game would cost you probably much as $70 to keep for video game industy to make money.

I would rather to stick with game less 50 bucks.

Remember N64? Cost much as $60 and lost lot of customers. As fan decide to take PSOne during cheap disco which was right time than Sega CD does (during wrong time). It's fortunately for PS to launch on right time. Same for PS2 that was wise to launch with DVD in right time, also.

So... It may repeat history itself for PS3 what N64 were.

Incorrect. DefMATRIXense said BD with blank disc is cost $1, that fact.

I have disagree about games because you need look at Best Buy website and all games are under $60, same thing went on Xbox 360 too.
PS3 Games

All PS3 games are made on BD instead of DVD and allowed game developers to make more spaces to add cool feature and other awesome stuff.

BD is scratch proof and easier to recycle it with 51% paper.

I'm starting to become integrated with Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and DS, except for PSP.

It means not fanboy but that's fucking retard to complain and cons against on all game consoles.

PS3 offers free gaming online for basic service, just same with Wii and DS, I will get PS3 after own X-Box 360 then I will join to play gaming online with DefMATRIXense, also last would to own Wii and DS but depends on game libraries. If Wii get GTA and not same as PS3 or Xbox 360 then I will get Wii.

EDGE, check your PM.

Incorrect. DefMATRIXense said BD with blank disc is cost $1, that fact.

I have disagree about games because you need look at Best Buy website and all games are under $60, same thing went on Xbox 360 too.
PS3 Games

All PS3 games are made on BD instead of DVD and allowed game developers to make more spaces to add cool feature and other awesome stuff.

BD is scratch proof and easier to recycle it with 51% paper.

...Why is it that I find it so hard to believe that a blank blu-ray disc is just a dollar?

You need to double check the prices before spilling it out the facts. It's NOT $1 for a blu ray disc. They average $17 or so for ONE blank blu ray disc. Here's your proof.

PriceSCAN Search Results

It's for BD-R (written like copy on computer) and game developers are using BD-ROM for less price than BD-R but not same as on public area that where consumers are buying. I means game developers are get BD-ROM for less price than consumers that who order BD-R for around more than $15 for single-layer and more than $30 but possible about more than $40 for dual-layer. That's different for game developers and consumers. I only got known from Xbox forum, that same thing went with HD-DVD too.

Warner engineers develop multilayer dual optical disk
by Poonam Wadhwani - September 20, 2006 - 0 comments

To resolve a high-definition DVD format battle that has divided Hollywood and bewildered consumers, three Warner Brother's engineers have invented a disk that would play two competing high-definition DVD formats including Sony Corp.’s Blu-Ray and Toshiba-supported HD-DVD.

The invented disc called "multilayer dual optical disk" has one layer of data in the standard CD or DVD format, a second layer able to play Blu-Ray and the other HD-DVD and would be capable of being adapted to any of 22 different configurations.

Telling about its working, inventors informed that the disc stores the information at different depths depending on the technology. Blu-ray discs store information only 0.1 millimetre from the surface while HD-DVD discs store it at 0.6 millimetres. By using reflective films, the creators say their disc would enable the lasers to read the top layer and "see through" to the lower one if required. Additional information also could be stored on the other side of the disc.

The patent application, which was filed by three Warner Bros. employees, Wayne Smith, Alan Bell and Lewis Ostrover, two of whom are engineers for the company, has put forth by representative of the studio against the notion that either format would ever win the high-definition format war.

The application depicted, “"A general problem with multiple formats of discs is that disc manufacturers must make various types of discs of each type in order to satisfy consumer demand for the content on those discs. A consumer that owns a standard DVD disc player can only play DVDs with a standard format. A consumer with a Blu ray recorder can only play Blu-ray format recordable discs. And a consumer with an HD-DVD disc player can only play HD-DVD discs or standard format DVDs, but not Blu-ray format discs.”

It continued, “From the standpoint of a manufacturer it is disadvantageous to have to manufacture and distribute three different types of disc formats to satisfy consumer demand for one product - such as a motion picture. Moreover, multiple formats of DVD discs create retail and consumer confusion as to which format(s) to acquire or buy.”

That means, with the recently invented disc, consumers can now pick which one they want without having to invest shedloads in hardware that might not survive second generation DVD war. It also depicts that the studios do not have to pick one technology over another and can provide the content in both.

Rival formats Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both works using a blue-indigo laser beam but are not compatible with each other. To beat this problem, the inventors say once a hybrid disc player is able to determine the assembly of the disc; it can adjust the lenses as necessary to guide the red or blue-indigo laser beam to point to the appropriate depth.

But the manufacturers and the consumers will have to wait for some time as the application, which was recently discovered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office database, has been not granted so far, and may not be granted for some time even if it's put on "fast-track" status.

Meanwhile, Warner engineers may face an obstacle from Toshiba, which appears to be all set to actually develop a three-layer hybrid disc in a joint venture with Memory-Tech, however, it would only for HD DVD and standard DVD content.

Warner engineers develop multilayer dual optical disk - The Money Times

now that sounds super...but I wouldnt be suprised that the new machine would cost MUCH more than a blu-ray player or HD-DVD player because both are combined into one machine.

Warner engineers develop multilayer dual optical disk
by Poonam Wadhwani - September 20, 2006 - 0 comments

To resolve a high-definition DVD format battle that has divided Hollywood and bewildered consumers, three Warner Brother's engineers have invented a disk that would play two competing high-definition DVD formats including Sony Corp.’s Blu-Ray and Toshiba-supported HD-DVD.

The invented disc called "multilayer dual optical disk" has one layer of data in the standard CD or DVD format, a second layer able to play Blu-Ray and the other HD-DVD and would be capable of being adapted to any of 22 different configurations.

Telling about its working, inventors informed that the disc stores the information at different depths depending on the technology. Blu-ray discs store information only 0.1 millimetre from the surface while HD-DVD discs store it at 0.6 millimetres. By using reflective films, the creators say their disc would enable the lasers to read the top layer and "see through" to the lower one if required. Additional information also could be stored on the other side of the disc.

The patent application, which was filed by three Warner Bros. employees, Wayne Smith, Alan Bell and Lewis Ostrover, two of whom are engineers for the company, has put forth by representative of the studio against the notion that either format would ever win the high-definition format war.

The application depicted, “"A general problem with multiple formats of discs is that disc manufacturers must make various types of discs of each type in order to satisfy consumer demand for the content on those discs. A consumer that owns a standard DVD disc player can only play DVDs with a standard format. A consumer with a Blu ray recorder can only play Blu-ray format recordable discs. And a consumer with an HD-DVD disc player can only play HD-DVD discs or standard format DVDs, but not Blu-ray format discs.”

It continued, “From the standpoint of a manufacturer it is disadvantageous to have to manufacture and distribute three different types of disc formats to satisfy consumer demand for one product - such as a motion picture. Moreover, multiple formats of DVD discs create retail and consumer confusion as to which format(s) to acquire or buy.”

That means, with the recently invented disc, consumers can now pick which one they want without having to invest shedloads in hardware that might not survive second generation DVD war. It also depicts that the studios do not have to pick one technology over another and can provide the content in both.

Rival formats Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both works using a blue-indigo laser beam but are not compatible with each other. To beat this problem, the inventors say once a hybrid disc player is able to determine the assembly of the disc; it can adjust the lenses as necessary to guide the red or blue-indigo laser beam to point to the appropriate depth.

But the manufacturers and the consumers will have to wait for some time as the application, which was recently discovered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office database, has been not granted so far, and may not be granted for some time even if it's put on "fast-track" status.

Meanwhile, Warner engineers may face an obstacle from Toshiba, which appears to be all set to actually develop a three-layer hybrid disc in a joint venture with Memory-Tech, however, it would only for HD DVD and standard DVD content.

Warner engineers develop multilayer dual optical disk - The Money Times

now that sounds super...but I wouldnt be suprised that the new machine would cost MUCH more than a blu-ray player or HD-DVD player because both are combined into one machine.

Yea, I'm not surprised about it, it can be more than $1,000 but who knows.

"Ken Kutaragi mentioned that Sony does not plan to lower the retail price of PS3 in North America and Europe. The reason is that people in both regions were very well accepted the prices, but in Japan the feedback was not supportive, so Sony lowered the price by 20% in Japan. Besides, Americans vastly prefer the 60GB model, which sells for US$599." - The Magic Box

Too bad you guys didn't put up much of a fuss. You might have got a price drop too...

Sony have lost my respect all the way. :roll:

"Ken Kutaragi mentioned that Sony does not plan to lower the retail price of PS3 in North America and Europe. The reason is that people in both regions were very well accepted the prices, but in Japan the feedback was not supportive, so Sony lowered the price by 20% in Japan. Besides, Americans vastly prefer the 60GB model, which sells for US$599." - The Magic Box

Too bad you guys didn't put up much of a fuss. You might have got a price drop too...

Sony have lost my respect all the way. :roll:

That's good news because lower end PS3 isn't good for some reason, also people will confused with between "core" and "premium".

You may have point that that BD-ROM may be different cost for manufacturing to buy and make it. My guess, it should be low as $5 with high quanity number order, make low cost. Like, buy 24 can of soda as if it cost les 20 cent each than rather get single soda for 50 cent or more.

It's for BD-R (written like copy on computer) and game developers are using BD-ROM for less price than BD-R but not same as on public area that where consumers are buying. I means game developers are get BD-ROM for less price than consumers that who order BD-R for around more than $15 for single-layer and more than $30 but possible about more than $40 for dual-layer. That's different for game developers and consumers. I only got known from Xbox forum, that same thing went with HD-DVD too.

I would like to wait until there is hybrid that allow read CD, DVD, HDDVD and Blu-Ray. It would make easy to have one at home.

You may have point that that BD-ROM may be different cost for manufacturing to buy and make it. My guess, it should be low as $5 with high quanity number order, make low cost. Like, buy 24 can of soda as if it cost les 20 cent each than rather get single soda for 50 cent or more.

I would like to wait until there is hybrid that allow read CD, DVD, HDDVD and Blu-Ray. It would make easy to have one at home.

It's possible about prices on BD.

Yea, that's biggest factors on between BD and HD-DVD right now but who would going successful. After Sony knocked MS because PS3 is more true HD and less prices than BD player (Samsung) and $100 more than HD-DVD player. I'm sure that people will rather to get PS3 because $600, that $400 less than BD player. I refuse to get Samsung BD player because feature isn't good and low consumer rating. I wouldn't surprise if MS cancel HD-DVD add-on and ahead to make BD add-on for Xbox 360.

Most ppl have SDTV or Conventional TVs so obviously they are very affordable (less than $250 or so) while most HDTVs are like $500 to $1000 and you expect gamers to get a HDTV at a price like this? get real. :roll:

Back