Sony’s Subtitle Glasses Mean the Deaf Can Watch Movies in the Theater Too

Well it was mentioned. CSign said not all people are candidates for corrective eye surgery, you said all the examples she made were unnecessary and burdens to everyone. Laser eye surgery is neither.

See?

Doesn't everything have limitations though?
Hearing aids only work for some people, Only some are candidates for CI's, only some are candidates for Baja, only some are candidates for corrective eye surgery etc. Everything has limitations, but often times there are alternatives that would be effective for those that are limited through other venues.

THe problem is, all of these devices are completely unnecessary and a burden to everyone, especially the deaf. Open captioning is a much more economic choice than an expensive device that may end up being uncomfortable and put more burden on the deaf consumer. The best part about open captioning is that there is no limit to it. All of the technology available to us have quite a lot of limitations to them.

Why on Earth are the deaf people expected to put up with all of the hassles while the hearing merely have the convenience of simply buying a ticket and pick any seats they wish to sit in.

It's just unreasonable to expect the deaf to put up with all these hassles.

Well it was mentioned. CSign said not all people are candidates for corrective eye surgery, you said all the examples she made were unnecessary and burdens to everyone. Laser eye surgery is neither.

I was referring to the captioning technology, nothing else. If you read my post again, you would see that I was referring to the captioning devices. This thread is about captioning at the theatres. I don't know why people have to bring up CI or eye surgery because they have no relevance to what we are discussing here.

See brought them up in the context of making her point that everything has limitations.

See brought them up in the context of making her point that everything has limitations.

Which is why I brought up that open captioning has no limitations. All of the other captioning technology available to us have too much limitations and hassles. Not just in how you use it, but in how you obtain it too as well.

It's a no-brainer.

Which is why I brought up that open captioning has no limitations. All of the other captioning technology available to us have too much limitations and hassles. Not just in how you use it, but in how you obtain it too as well.

It's a no-brainer.

Except for the fact that it does have limitations. It's not available at every theatre. This new device can be purchased and used at every theatre. I'm not in any way opposed to CC, but given that it's not available at every theatre, this seems to be a good alternative.

Doesn't everything have limitations though?
Hearing aids only work for some people, Only some are candidates for CI's, only some are candidates for Baja, only some are candidates for corrective eye surgery etc. Everything has limitations, but often times there are alternatives that would be effective for those that are limited through other venues.

Some have fewer limitations for a greater number of people than others. It is known in the economic world as cost benefit analysis.

Except for the fact that it does have limitations. It's not available at every theatre. This new device can be purchased and used at every theatre. I'm not in any way opposed to CC, but given that it's not available at every theatre, this seems to be a good alternative.

It can't be used by all deaf. Open captioning can. Therefore, it is a cheaper solution providing benefit to a greater number of people. Open captioning can be put into place right now, as we speak. These "captioning glasses" are not even available on a commercial market here.

It's a no-brainer.

It is also a no-brainer that profit margins come into play in these things. Sony will be making a huge profit off of these things.:roll:

Nope, not a fact. Far from it. The fact is, people are refusing to make it available to the public. Open captioning has no limitations as long it is provided at all of the theatres.

Expensive devices are not good alternatives. I'm deaf and I know what it's like to deal with the so-called accessibility devices. Open captioning is by far and the best option, not to mention the most economic choice as well.

Nope, not a fact. Far from it. The fact is, people are refusing to make it available to the public. Open captioning has no limitations as long it is provided at all of the theatres.

Expensive devices are not good alternatives. I'm deaf and I know what it's like to deal with the so-called accessibility devices. Open captioning is by far and the best option, not to mention the most economic choice as well.

The limitations on open captionings is that yes it's petty but many hearies will not pay go movie with caps, so theaters lose business. They won't like that.

I don't own a theatre, so...no. I'm just going on the hearies I know, many who won't watch tv or movie with me because if "they want pay to read, they'd get book".

I don't own a theatre, so...no. I'm just going on the hearies I know, many who won't watch tv or movie with me because if "they want pay to read, they'd get book".

But can you prove that it would have an effect on the attendance? Besides, the attendance have been going down for years anyway and it has nothing to do with us. That attitude of yours is why we are still getting the short stick, because people are too quick to resign.

Back