Sony’s Subtitle Glasses Mean the Deaf Can Watch Movies in the Theater Too

I think that speech recognition is a technology is something that may take years, even decades to get right and even if they get it right, it's still not going to be 100% accurate.

Hinging hopes on speech recognition is about the same as hinging your hopes on stem cells to cure your deafness.

Voice or speech recognition is great for hearies, HOH and oralists. In the future, it would be possible to tell a door to open automatically by voice but I don't see any advantage for deaf people.

When I say deaf people, I mean deaf people who are 100% deaf, can't use speech and a full-time ASL users like me, thousands of DVTV members and many more in the USA. IMO, oralists and HOH people are not 100% deaf since they can communicate with hearing people by listening w/ a HA or CI and orally speaking. Deaf people can't so they communicate by writing/reading or having a terp which is a true part of deaf culture.

Oh, hold on, this topic is about Sony's new tech. Wondering why we are still talking about speech recognition in this thread.

I can see on Youtube that woman with small glasses wore the Sony CC glasses have minor inconvenience but I can see the distance between glasses and CC glasses and it is still adjustable so you can view CC in your comfort where you want move it so you can see entire movie screen or just bottom of screen.

I would support that alot better than Rear Wall Captioning !!! I really hate it at the first day cuz gooseneck don't stay where I wanted, 2ndly, People behind me blocking the rear wall screen when they had to excuse from seat to get something or go to bathroom.

My friend recently went to movie and the theater have new kind of Subtitle device that look so much like Rear Wall Captioning glass with gooseneck except it's electronic and no need to adjust to reflect to Rear Wall. He said it's lot better than RWC BUT the gooseneck is a hassle to keep it steady cuz it sits on cupholder of the theater seats.

So the Sony's Subtitle glasses would benefit the most that you can enjoy watching movie without all those gooseneck hassle. If you happen to bend down to get shared drinks, popcorn or candies near you, you won't miss anything cuz Subtitle still be running within your view!!! It's a minor inconvenience regarding to those who wear Rx glasses. Perhap in near future, they might have Virtual Reality glasses that Sony already have for Gamers may allow you to watch Movie without Rx glasses and have subtitle in it ( I know it may have adjustable lens that you can focus without glasses just like binoculars.) and maybe you can still watch subtitled movie while you go get more popcorns or go to bathroom :rofl:

Biggest advantage are that if new movie come out on first day, you should be able to be the first to jump in seat and watch movie with subtitle glasses which in past that Every deafie had to wait few months or so to have Open Caption to put on movie that was newly released few months ago. So that's the blessing we get!

So what's the benefit of that and we Deafie are living in world of limitation. It's isn't much limitation when technology improved! I know everyone whines about it because of their opinions of Captioning devices provided by Movie Theater. I admitted I whine big time over RWC!!! and wanted it to be banned from every Theater!! That's my worst nemesis.

Catty

I think that speech recognition is a technology is something that may take years, even decades to get right and even if they get it right, it's still not going to be 100% accurate.

I would second that!! My Church installed Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 software on my laptop (Acer Aspire Dualcore Neo with 4GB memory). It lagged or won't list when Teacher speaks through bluetooth device on their ear. I tried to delete or minimized some running program and only just DNS 11 software, it still won't fix the problem. Many Hearing members observed behind me and gave a big chuckle of what DNS 11 worded out in a weird way when Teacher speak. It was so funny My Church's counselor recognized problems with it so he decided to work out by giving duty to members to learn ASL so it would be available for us in Sacrament Meeting, Sunday School class and other classes or even meeting with Bishop. He realized that Speech Recognition software don't solve problem with shortage of interpreters. (He have 3 adopted deaf children that's why). Humans are the most flexible and intelligent than machines!!

Catty

I can see on Youtube that woman with small glasses wore the Sony CC glasses have minor inconvenience but I can see the distance between glasses and CC glasses and it is still adjustable so you can view CC in your comfort where you want move it so you can see entire movie screen or just bottom of screen.

Biggest advantage are that if new movie come out on first day, you should be able to be the first to jump in seat and watch movie with subtitle glasses which in past that Every deafie had to wait few months or so to have Open Caption to put on movie that was newly released few months ago. So that's the blessing we get!

Catty

If those glasses can be used for ANY movie I want to watch, then it'd be worth it. But if not, then I still prefer OC which is most comfortable.

Are you sure that the subtitles via glasses will be available on opening days ?

Captioned (RWC, CV or OC) movies are released approx 2 weeks after opening days, not few months. For example, a movie "The Debt" was released on Aug 30 and a captioned version is released today in some areas and this coming Tuesday in other areas.

Edited: I think it would be funny when I communicate with someone next to me for a moment with glasses on, subtitles would be in the way.

Last edited:
Back