Songs to Listen

LadySekhmet

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I wanted to make a thread of songs that either you want to hear, songs that you've practiced on with your CI, or songs that you were surprised about when you had CI (for example: a friend didn't realized there was a harmonica solo on "You don't Know How It Feels" by Tom Petty until she had her CI).
Please type the artist as well!
I'll start off of my Favorite songs and Songs I want to hear/practice on...this was hard because I have over 2400 songs on my iTunes!

Favorite songs:
Fancy - Reba McEntire (my number one song - it's fast, but not difficult to follow.)
Solitaire - Clay Aiken
The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia - Reba
I Believe I Can Fly - R. Kelly
Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
Bobby - Reba (great song, easy to follow lyrics)

Songs I want to learn lyrics (most of these are my favorites, but I don't know all the lyrics)
Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison (great rock ballad)
This Ain't A Love Song - Bon Jon Jovi
We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Alone - Heart
Open Arms - Journey
Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (this will be a HARD song because it's multiple singers)

Comments? There's just way too many songs for me to list, but I can add to the list as I go along.

Hey Fancy is hard to follow along :)

Father Figure - George Micheal
Everyone Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears (my favorite)
Rhianna - Fletwood Mac
Anything by Elton John

For a real challenging song
You can't stop the beat - Hairspray

i have a hearing aid... but I'm wondering how different music is going to sound when I switch to a CI...!

for Bohemian Rhapsody, try to see if you can somehow listen to just the piano version of it to get to learn the melody and such. there is a lot of harmony in some parts so i guess that's difficult. but it's a beaaaaautiful song!

i have a hearing aid... but I'm wondering how different music is going to sound when I switch to a CI...!

for Bohemian Rhapsody, try to see if you can somehow listen to just the piano version of it to get to learn the melody and such. there is a lot of harmony in some parts so i guess that's difficult. but it's a beaaaaautiful song!

Music sounds so much better than with a Hearing Aid(27 years), my opinion. I can really hear all the different instruments and voices. It sounds crisp and clear.

The first time I was able to enjoy music was about 3 weeks after activation. I cried at the sound, I never knew how the different instruments completed each other. It is just so natural and beautiful.:)

okay I have my playlist out.

Throwing it all away - Genesis
Take the long way home - Supertramp
Borderline - Madonna
Against All Odds - Phil Collins
Jesus, Take the Wheel - Carrie Underwood

I have a great list. I am going to add some of the ones you have on the list.

Music sounds so much better than with a Hearing Aid(27 years), my opinion. I can really hear all the different instruments and voices. It sounds crisp and clear.

The first time I was able to enjoy music was about 3 weeks after activation. I cried at the sound, I never knew how the different instruments completed each other. It is just so natural and beautiful.:)

You are very fortunate, vallee. I sure hope my experience will be similar. My hearing used to be quite good albeit with a hearing-aid and I used to LOVE music. I can't believe it's been six months since I've truly been able to enjoy it -- wow.

If I am able to sincerely enjoy some of my favorite artists (partial list below) within six months of activation, I'll be very happy:

Enigma (especially Back from the Rivers of Belief but I love all their stuff)
Deep Forest
Darrell Hall and John Oates
Mike Oldfield -- "Songs from a Distant Earth" album
Delerium
Marcus Roberts (all his stuff)
Tortoise (The Suspension Bridge at Iguazu Falls is amazing)

...and especially if I can enjoy the PBS special that's been airing every now and then, the Celtic women singers... sigh. Their singing is so beautiful.

CI surgery: Feb. 29, 2008
Activation: March 10, 2008
Advanced Bionics
Anxiety: 8.5
www.ruminator.livejournal.com

Yay! You're getting a CI on Leap Day! Very cool.

You may want to change your url. It should be ruminator.livejournal.com, without the www. :)

Whoops - you're right! Guess I can't edit that one now, though.

Yep, Leap Day surgery! Just the way I planned it, so that there won't be an anniversary next year or the year after that or the year after that to remind me of what I went through. ;)

Advanced Bionics
Anxiety: 8.5 (not the surgery, but the outcome)
Ruminator's Ruminatings

i've experienced music as a hearing person and with a hearing aid and there hasn't been much difference for me at all, except for being able to understand the lyrics.. thats the one thing that bothers me!

Whoops - you're right! Guess I can't edit that one now, though.

Yep, Leap Day surgery! Just the way I planned it, so that there won't be an anniversary next year or the year after that or the year after that to remind me of what I went through. ;)

Advanced Bionics
Anxiety: 8.5 (not the surgery, but the outcome)
Ruminator's Ruminatings

ha ha, so every 4 years you get to party four years of CI time. Wow what a party that will be. The 8.5 anxiety? I hope you have a wonderful outcome.

i've experienced music as a hearing person and with a hearing aid and there hasn't been much difference for me at all, except for being able to understand the lyrics.. thats the one thing that bothers me!

I hope you get the lyrics back. I just missed it all. I have not had high frequencies for many many years. It was like listening to partial music and partial lyrics. Just lost my love for it.

I love electronica, industrial, rock... Nine Inch Nails, Incubus, Blaqk Audio, Marilyn Manson (an acquired taste, I have to say...), ect.

My MP3 player has music fromall genres....there isn't any one specific type of music I like best. A sampling of my favorites:

all the ABBA, John Denver, and Josh Groban songs
Every Breath You Take ~ Sting
My Lovin ~ En Vogue
YMCA ~ The Village People
California Dreamin ~ The Mama's & The Papa's
Prop Me up Beside the Jukebox ~ Joe Diffie
Asleep at the Wheel ~ Bloodhound Gang
Hardware Store ~ Weird Al
Far Away ~ Nickelback
Truly, Madly, Deeply ~ Savage Garden
Bolero
Gonna Make You Sweat ~ C&C Music Factory
Flower ~ Moby
Holly ~ Republica
Pink Panther ~ Henry Mancini
Rock DJ ~ Robbie Williams
Thank You Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Again ~ Sly & the Family Stone
Love Don't Cost a Thing ~ Jennifer Lopez
Stop ~ The Spice Girls

that's just a sampling - God there's so much I like, I could go on and on!!!!

that's just a sampling - God there's so much I like, I could go on and on!!!!

Nice! :) Same with me, with 2400 songs, it's tough to put some type of samplings...

I think it's great practice for lyrics. I did not add any really fast songs as they may be difficult to follow. If you really want lyrics, just go to LYRICS. They'll have it.
If you don't want to download it from iTunes or any other methods. :wink:, go to YouTube.com. Have the lyrics on another window and put the YouTube and lyrics side by side. I do that a lot when I'm listening to new songs, because it helps me know what the singer is singing by lipreading as well.
Enjoy!

Ballads:
Glory of Love - Peter Cetera (Karate Kid Soundtrack)
I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Michael Jackson
Hey Jude - Beatles
Imagine - John Lennon
The Scientist - Coldplay
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
Always - Jon Bon Jovi

Broadway:
Wishing You Were Here - Phantom of the Opera (high pitched, but will help with high frequency sounds)
Everything's Coming Up Roses - Gypsy
People - Barbra Streisand (Funny Girl)
Surprise - Chorus Line: The Movie
Memory - Cats
Don't Cry For Me Argentina - Eva (Patti LuPone)
Shadowland - Lion King
Endless Night - Lion King

Slow/Sad songs:
A Man's Home Is His Castle - Faith Hill
Georgia Rain - Trisha Yearwood
All This Time - Reba McEntire
Forever Love - Reba McEntire
The Song Remembers When - Trisha Yearwood
After All - Cher
Flying Without Wings - Westlife
Something in Red - Lorrie Morgan
I Hope You Dance - LeeAnn Womack
Reach - Gloria Estefan
Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
Power Of Love - Celine Dion
My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion

I find with new songs, I have to "teach" myself the lyrics first...but once I do, I can almost immediately recognize the song if its being played - in fact I remember being at CURVES this summer and was working out - they always have music playing but usually its songs that I don't yet know - and they popped in an ABBA CD...I was in *heaven* LOL. It was so amazing how one moment you're listening to the music but can't understand the lyrics, then the next *bam* everything is crystal clear because its something you know!!! I love it!

I find with new songs, I have to "teach" myself the lyrics first...but once I do, I can almost immediately recognize the song if its being played - in fact I remember being at CURVES this summer and was working out - they always have music playing but usually its songs that I don't yet know - and they popped in an ABBA CD...I was in *heaven* LOL. It was so amazing how one moment you're listening to the music but can't understand the lyrics, then the next *bam* everything is crystal clear because its something you know!!! I love it!

I do too, the first time I hear a "new" song, it sound terrible. I can't wait to add ABBA next.

Here are some of the songs I enjoy listening to on my iPod Shuffle:

Favorites:

Love in Store - Fleetwood Mac
Time Will Reveal - DeBarge
Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
Waiting for a Girl Like You - Foreigner
Lovin', Touchin, Squeezin' - Air Supply
Don't You Want Me - The Human League
Keep Feeling Fascination - The Human League
Tired of Toein' the Line - Rocky Burnette
Three Times in Love - Tommy James
1999 - Prince
Please Don't Go - Kool and the Gang
Tonight - Kool and the Gang
Cars - Gary Numan
Angel in the Centerfold - J. Geils Band
Abracadabra - Steve Miller Band
'65 Love Affair - Paul Davis

Of course, I could go on and on, but I think I'll stop there. :)

By the way, I'm also someone for whom new music sounds terrible with my CIs until I've had the chance to hear it a few times. I think that may be one reason why I enjoy 80's music so much...it's the music I remember most clearly (auditory memory). Incidentally, most of the songs I listed above came from the early 80's when I did not wear HAs.

Another "cool" thing about 80's music were all of the keyboards it was created with. 10 years prior to receiving my first CI, I could only hear deep male vocals and percussion using DAI through my HAs, so being able to hear keyboards again was just awesome! :)

Back