Some Parents Choose Not to Allow Their Kids to Hear Obama's National Address

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall a photo of this, where he had a book upside down. That might have been a Photoshop picture. If there were protests, they were squelched in the press. All I have learned from my days of reading political topics is this: Conservatives are much more active in their politics. It reminds me of the anti-Gun Control people (NRA) in their activism. It is never enough to middle of the road like me. You must stand on the right side of the political front, or you are an idiot. Got a debate on another site with someone that keeps hollering "Left Wing" at me, when I state repeatly that I am MOR. That is what makes it hard for me to debate. I lack the passion to defend Obama with the same fervor his opponents attack him. How can I defend MOR? :roll:
f22fk9.jpg

Agreed. A portion of the point I was making was the fact that the faction now protesting is simply more closeminded and vocal.

Are the parents of those kids that are denied the option to hear the President going to get both sides? Since my understanding is that this speech is to encourage kids to stay in school, are we going to have some dropouts give the rebuttals?
That's what I don't get. If the President is speaking only about staying in school, what are the both sides? What is the controversy?

If I had a kid in school, I wouldn't mind him or her hearing a message about staying in school.

And the opposing view to "stay in school", is "drop out of school." There's a good lesson to provide children.

I was referring to the closedmindedness of parents. The refusal to take anything into account except their own narrow viewpoint. Their objection to Obama's speech has more to do with their own political viewpoint, and their refusal to accept anything from the "enemy" as valid. It is absurd. Children are in school to learn. They cannot learn when they are denied the opportunity to be presented information.
If the President is only telling the kids to stay in school, I have no problem with that.

You know, I seem to remember that G.W. Bush was sitting in an elementary school classroom talking with children when he was informed of the 9/11 attacks. But I don't remember at all these absurd protests and objections regarding his doing so. :hmm:
It wasn't a nationwide speech that schools required their children to attend. That was one difference.

If the President is only telling the kids to stay in school, I have no problem with that.

That is why I do not understand all the up in arms protest over a child being exposed to the President delivering such a message. Makes me wonder what is really being objected to.:hmm:

It wasn't a nationwide speech that schools required their children to attend. That was one difference.

A minor one, to be sure.

I can remember watching reel to reels of Presidential speeches in school as part of a requirement of the course. Don't remember parents acting this silly.

A minor one, to be sure.

I can remember watching reel to reels of Presidential speeches in school as part of a requirement of the course. Don't remember parents acting this silly.
Yes, and also "You are There" with Walter Cronkite. :zzz:

What I am confused about is, if they are complaining about having both sides of the political spectrum involved, why defend the parents that don't want Obama's side heard? I assume this means they only want the Conservative side heard. To use the "both sides" excuse is hypocritical, when they agree with having the Obama side blocked. :confused:

As I have said all along, there are many from the anti-Obama camp that ONLY want to keep the fires of anti-Obama burning. To quote a literary giant from the AllDeaf Conservative flock, "What are THEY afraid of?" :scratch:

Stay in school! Say no to drug! :cool2:

Yes, and also "You are There" with Walter Cronkite. :zzz:

What I am confused about is, if they are complaining about having both sides of the political spectrum involved, why defend the parents that don't want Obama's side heard? I assume this means they only want the Conservative side heard. To use the "both sides" excuse is hypocritical, when they agree with having the Obama side blocked. :confused:

As I have said all along, there are many from the anti-Obama camp that ONLY want to keep the fires of anti-Obama burning. To quote a literary giant from the AllDeaf Conservative flock, "What are THEY afraid of?" :scratch:

I don't remember much about Walter Cronkite but I sure do remember that the six o'clock news just wasn't the same without him. I think he retired when I was six or 7.

I don't remember much about Walter Cronkite but I sure do remember that the six o'clock news just wasn't the same without him. I think he retired when I was six or 7.
The "You are There" thing was a series of short movies where they recreated moments from history, like signing the Declaration of Independence. He was the narrator. This was when I was full hearing, during my grade school years. Here is a link to IMDB description: "You Are There" (1953)

I think that the say in school and study message should be aimed at elementary school ages simply because they are more open to the message. By secondary school, the hormones are raging and peers are more important than adults. If we can make being smart a good thing in the kids' minds, then they will be more open to learning.

September 6th, 2009
Education secretary: keeping kids home to avoid Obama school speech would be ’silly’
Posted: 12:52 PM ET
(CNN) — Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said Sunday that parents threatening to keep their children home Tuesday to avoid President Barack Obama’s planned nationwide speech to school students were being “silly.”

Appearing on the CBS program “Face the Nation,” Duncan said the 18-minute speech would be posted Monday on the White House Web site so people can read it before its scheduled Internet broadcast to schoolchildren on Tuesday.

Duncan emphasized it is up to school officials whether to include the speech in the day’s activities, and that the message of the speech was to encourage children to finish school.
“That’s just silly,” he said of anyone planning to have their kids stay home because of the speech. “They can go to school. They can not watch.”

The speech is about “the president challenging young people,” Duncan said in response to protests by conservatives that it would be used to force the president’s political agenda on students.

The CNN Wire - Latest updates on top stories - CNN.com Blogs

Guaranteed that my kids will not watch it. I'll just make sure the tv is off.

September 6th, 2009
Education secretary: keeping kids home to avoid Obama school speech would be ’silly’
Posted: 12:52 PM ET
(CNN) — Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said Sunday that parents threatening to keep their children home Tuesday to avoid President Barack Obama’s planned nationwide speech to school students were being “silly.”

Appearing on the CBS program “Face the Nation,” Duncan said the 18-minute speech would be posted Monday on the White House Web site so people can read it before its scheduled Internet broadcast to schoolchildren on Tuesday.

Duncan emphasized it is up to school officials whether to include the speech in the day’s activities, and that the message of the speech was to encourage children to finish school.
“That’s just silly,” he said of anyone planning to have their kids stay home because of the speech. “They can go to school. They can not watch.”

The speech is about “the president challenging young people,” Duncan said in response to protests by conservatives that it would be used to force the president’s political agenda on students.

The CNN Wire - Latest updates on top stories - CNN.com Blogs

I agree with Duncan..these parents are being silly.

Hmm... Obama getting pwned on a regular basis.

The only one getting "pwned" around here is you.:lol:

Silly conservatives!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back