some Ddeaf/Hhoh with grammar english problems

Right. I was just pointing out that some colleges do provide their own.

I used to rely online, but some websites change and bookmarks didn't always work. So, I just bookmarked RIT's site... never changes. :)

Oh, I agree. Our writing center, for example, has any reference for grammar or formating that could possibly be needed. All one has to do is go to the writing center and ask for it.

Oh, I agree. Our writing center, for example, has any reference for grammar or formating that could possibly be needed. All one has to do is go to the writing center and ask for it.
They practically have these as handouts for every student who tours the library for the first time. ;)

You don't need to apologize for your grammar. English grammar is a struggle for many people, deaf and hearing both. I know many hearing people who have horrible grammar.

You hang in there and keep trying. You will improve.

i tried to pm you but you didn't replied me back, i guess you ignored me.

i tried to pm you but you didn't replied me back, i guess you ignored me.

I did not receive a pm from you. I had a message on my profile from you. I attempted to reply, but could not leave a message on your profile. I sent you an email. Please check you email before jumping to conclusions.

I work 2 jobs and attend school full time. I cannot always reply immediately.

I did not receive a pm from you. I had a message on my profile from you. I attempted to reply, but could not leave a message on your profile. I sent you an email. Please check you email before jumping to conclusions.

I work 2 jobs and attend school full time. I cannot always reply immediately.

alright i understand. i will leave you alone.

Thank you. It isn't a matter of not wanting to answer, but of being unable to answer because the PM feature has been turned off.
Okay, enough with talking about PMs.

If PMs, don't work... try the email feature or the VM (visitor message) feature. That's why I encourage members to have PMs and emails turned on so that messages intended to be private can be exchanged. :) Thanks.

Anyways, back on topic...

I've dealt with hard-of-hearing students who speak well like they're hearing, but still have grammar problems. They claim that since they are hard-of-hearing, they can write like hearing people. :roll:

I guess it's cuz they can't write as well as they speak... or they just aren't trying hard enough. :(

Hearing/speaking a language is very different than writing a language. Writing is a very, very complex task that uses different parts of the brain. A lot of people, regardless of hearing/deaf/hh status, have difficulty with writing. Writing also requires structure, organization, unique thought processes, knowledge of grammatical rules and structure, knowledge of vocabulary, and uses of voice, tone, and other writing style elements. It is not an easy task. And to be a good writer, you must be a good reader. Read, read, read a variety of texts - and that will help map you to become a better writer. Do I sound like an English teacher? ;)

Hearing/speaking a language is very different than writing a language. Writing is a very, very complex task that uses different parts of the brain. A lot of people, regardless of hearing/deaf/hh status, have difficulty with writing. Writing also requires structure, organization, unique thought processes, knowledge of grammatical rules and structure, knowledge of vocabulary, and uses of voice, tone, and other writing style elements. It is not an easy task. And to be a good writer, you must be a good reader. Read, read, read a variety of texts - and that will help map you to become a better writer. Do I sound like an English teacher? ;)
Geez... you sound like an English teacher! ;)

I still agree. Some hard-of-hearing students think that since they talk so well like hearing people, they can write well. If they think they write so well, why are they still stuck in those "non-credited" English courses? :roll:

There was one hard-of-hearing girl who didn't like hanging out with deaf people because she thought she was better than them. She would talk orally with hearing people. She dated a hearing guy. She never signed. Yet, her writing skills were absolutely horrible.

I walked into the kitchen one night to cook food. I saw her boyfriend proofreading a paper she wrote. He asked me for help. He said something like, "Boy, I thought she was smarter than this." (I guess that's why they broke up later on... cuz she was not being herself. :dunno:)

Okay, enough with talking about PMs.

If PMs, don't work... try the email feature or the VM (visitor message) feature. That's why I encourage members to have PMs and emails turned on so that messages intended to be private can be exchanged. :) Thanks.

Anyways, back on topic...

I've dealt with hard-of-hearing students who speak well like they're hearing, but still have grammar problems. They claim that since they are hard-of-hearing, they can write like hearing people. :roll:

I guess it's cuz they can't write as well as they speak... or they just aren't trying hard enough. :(

That's exactly what I did, Vampy, but was accused of ignoring another member. I simply wanted to make it clear that I had not ignored a message from anyone.

Finished.

Another interesting thing...HH students sometimes write worse than deaf students because they write what they hear...and of course, HH students don't hear everything. That's why I see a lot errors with subject-verb agreements and other grammar rules. They also sound out words...but the spelling is based on their limited hearing. That goes to show that some HH students also need specialized instruction in the classroom just as much as deaf students.

Back