Some cities ban teens from trick-or-treating

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Age limits threaten violators with jail or fines instead of candy

RICHMOND, Va. — Teenagers who trick-or-treat in some cities could face something more threatening than any costumed zombie or ghost — like the long arm of the law.

Some cities across the country have adopted age limits — usually around 12 — for those who can travel door-to-door for candy and other Halloween fare. But while teen violators could face jail or fines up to $100, such laws are rarely strictly enforced.

Take Mayor Mark Eckert of Belleville, Ill., near St. Louis. He led a push in 2008 to ban trick or treating by high school-aged teens in that community of about 35,000 people.

His reasoning? He said he heard from too many single mothers and senior citizens complaining they were frightened by "6-foot-tall kids" showing up at their homes in search of candy.

"When I was a kid my father said to me, 'You're too damn big to be going trick-or-treating. You're done," Eckert said. "When that doesn't happen, then that's reason for the city governments to intervene."

Some Belleville residents have complained about the ordinance, he said. But he added that he hears more often from those thankful for the age limit. The ordinance also prohibits those over 12 years old from wearing masks in public any other day of the year.

In Virginia, several cities have had trick-or-treating age limits on the books since the 1970s. City officials from Meridian, Miss., to Bishopville, S.C., and Boonsboro, Md., have cut off the trick-or-treat age at 12.

Still, officials cannot recall anyone ever being arrested or fined for being too old to trick-or-treat.

If anything, officers will let teens off with a warning or a call to their parents, said Lou Thurston, spokesman for the Newport News Police Department in Virginia.

"It's not like we have officers that are patrolling the neighborhoods saying 'How old are you?' That's not the point," Thurston said. "The point is making the place safe."

Even if they wanted to, officials acknowledge the laws are difficult to enforce. Still, they say putting the word out about the laws every year keeps too many teens from violating the bans.

There's no way to know exactly how many cities have such ordinances. The National League of Cities doesn't keep track of ordinances, and states have left such matters up to the localities.

Trick-or-treating evolved out of the late medieval custom of children asking for treats in exchange for praying for the dead of the household, said Hans Broedel, a University of North Dakota history professor and expert on early traditions.

Tricks — usually vandalism and other debauchery by teens and young adults — were a big part of Halloween for a time until a conscious effort in the 19th and early 20th centuries to shift the celebration toward children, Broedel said.

Excluding teens from trick-or-treating could make it more appealing to do other, less desirable, things, he said.

"Trick-or-treating in a large part is embraced in this country because it serves to cut down on teenage vandalism," Broedel said. "Certainly telling teenagers they can't go trick-or-treating isn't going to stop them from going out on Halloween and doing whatever."

John Womeldorf, a real estate agent in James City County, Va., has two sons ages 12 and 11. He said his 12-year-old is bummed that this will be his last year to trick-or-treat, but he looks forward to scaring kids who come for candy next year.

Womeldorf said he doesn't remember any such rules as a kid but see why they might "It is a different world than I grew up in so I guess we do have to have certain things like that in place to be enforced if needed," he said.

Still, Alisa Alexander Goetz of Jordan, Minn., questions why such restrictions are needed. Kids grow up too fast, she said, so why not let them continue the tradition?

Of trick or treating, she said, "It's better than them out drinking or getting into trouble."

http://www.today.com/id/39832592/ns...ies-ban-teens-trick-or-treating/#.VElOTE3D-ic

I think it's a good idea, I always was annoyed when the teens came to the door. As far as getting into other trouble and drinking, they're going to do that no matter if they are out trick or treating or not, probably at the same time!

Has people completely lost their mind?? Why are the cops wasting time going after kids going trick a treating ,they should more concerned the
child sex offenders on Halloween night.

Most of time, i notice that teens usually come late like 9 pm I tend to turn the light off around 8 15 pm.. SOrry kids but I think 815 pm is good. I saw teens are walking around after 9 pm.. jeez

Has people completely lost their mind?? Why are the cops wasting time going after kids going trick a treating ,they should more concerned the
child sex offenders on Halloween night.

Are there a lot of child sex offenders out on Halloween? Not quite sure how that applies. Most young children are out with their parents, and others a little older in groups. They seem well protected against sex offenders.

Are there a lot of child sex offenders out on Halloween? Not quite sure how that applies. Most young children are out with their parents, and others a little older in groups. They seem well protected against sex offenders.

Here in Cook County, sex offenders are banned from giving out candies or anything Halloween, and this IS enforcable, because the Cook County Sheriff's Office keeps an eye on them during Halloween, and if they violate the law, off to the slammer they go.

Here in Cook County, sex offenders are banned from giving out candies or anything Halloween, and this IS enforcable, because the Cook County Sheriff's Office keeps an eye on them during Halloween, and if they violate the law, off to the slammer they go.

I didn't think of it from that angle. Ok, I can see that they should be watched and prohibited from giving out candy. I was thinking they were out following little kids around, which they also may be, I guess. That's why little ones shouldn't be out alone.

Here in Cook County, sex offenders are banned from giving out candies or anything Halloween, and this IS enforcable, because the Cook County Sheriff's Office keeps an eye on them during Halloween, and if they violate the law, off to.the slammer they go.
Here's another example:

"MILWAUKEE CO. (WITI) — They’re teaming up for Operation Trick or Treat — an effort to ensure the safety of children as they go door-to-door through neighborhoods collecting Halloween treats.

On Sunday, October 26th, from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., law enforcement teams (including the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office Apprehension Unit and Criminal Investigative Unit, Wisconsin Department of Corrections (DOC) Probation and Parole, US Marshal’s Service and police departments in Milwaukee, West Allis, and West Milwaukee) will conduct “Knock and Talks” at residences of known sex offenders and serve warrants on sex offenders who have not registered with the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry.

During the “Knock and Talks,” officers will enforce and confirm that sexual predators are in compliance with the Halloween guidelines set forth by the DOC. The Halloween rules for sex offenders are as follows:

During any trick-or-treating in their neighborhood, the sex offender will remain in their residence one hour prior to and one hour following Halloween activities.
The home/apartment may not be decorated for Halloween – inside or outside.
The home/apartment must not have a lighted porch (or any indication that the residence is participating in Halloween activities.)
No distribution of candy at place of residence.
No possession of any costume or pieces of costume used for Halloween.
No participation in any activity related to Halloween and/or trick or treat activities; this includes visiting haunted house sites.
Last year, deputies knocked on 200 doors of registered sex offenders, and 19 sex offenders were arrested for violation of their probation and parole conditions. In addition, two were found and arrested on felony warrants from the Top Ten list, and one man on the list turned himself in.

Milwaukee County Sheriff’s detectives have already begun to locate and arrest sex offenders with arrest warrants and for failure to register with the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry."
http://fox6now.com/2014/10/21/opera...ct-knock-and-talks-at-homes-of-sex-offenders/

I didn't think of it from that angle. Ok, I can see that they should be watched and prohibited from giving out candy. I was thinking they were out following little kids around, which they also may be, I guess. That's why little ones shouldn't be out alone.

Not here, they're not. They have to be accompanied by someone 18 or older.

Here's another example:

"MILWAUKEE CO. (WITI) — They’re teaming up for Operation Trick or Treat — an effort to ensure the safety of children as they go door-to-door through neighborhoods collecting Halloween treats.

On Sunday, October 26th, from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., law enforcement teams (including the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office Apprehension Unit and Criminal Investigative Unit, Wisconsin Department of Corrections (DOC) Probation and Parole, US Marshal’s Service and police departments in Milwaukee, West Allis, and West Milwaukee) will conduct “Knock and Talks” at residences of known sex offenders and serve warrants on sex offenders who have not registered with the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry.

During the “Knock and Talks,” officers will enforce and confirm that sexual predators are in compliance with the Halloween guidelines set forth by the DOC. The Halloween rules for sex offenders are as follows:

During any trick-or-treating in their neighborhood, the sex offender will remain in their residence one hour prior to and one hour following Halloween activities.
The home/apartment must not have a lighted porch (or any indication that the residence is participating in Halloween activities.)
No participation in any activity related to Halloween and/or trick or treat activities; this includes visiting haunted house sites.
Last year, deputies knocked on 200 doors of registered sex offenders, and 19 sex offenders were arrested for violation of their probation and parole conditions. In addition, two were found and arrested on felony warrants from the Top Ten list, and one man on the list turned himself in.

Milwaukee County Sheriff’s detectives have already begun to locate and arrest sex offenders with arrest warrants and for failure to register with the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry."
http://fox6now.com/2014/10/21/opera...ct-knock-and-talks-at-homes-of-sex-offenders/

They do that here, too. I think they're due to start that soon.

Here's another example:

So I am right ! There are concerns about sex offenders on Halloween night.

:nana: to everyone else . Thank you Reba . :wave:

Of course, parents should always be alert because not all sex offenders are known. Those are the ones that are most dangerous.

Of course, parents should always be alert because not all sex offenders are known. Those are the ones that are most dangerous.

I agree , this was my concerned . I live in a small city and some parents think it's safe to let their young kids walk to school alone. I would never let a young child walk to school alone today . And both my sisters had woman try to get them into her car , the woman "promise" to buy them an ice cream cone at the drug store. My older sister was stopped by our brother and my younger sister refused to go near the car. Both my sisters could had been kidnapped. It's horrible we have to worry about this but it's a frighten reality .

In the city they are setting limits. Out here where I live they sound the tornado sirens at start of T-r-T and then again at the end of T-r-T, usually from 6pm til 9pm and then its over here. It is a safety measure by the counsil so kids have a safe period for getting candy. The police patrol the streets as well during this time frame, very odd experience here.

In the city they are setting limits. Out here where I live they sound the tornado sirens at start of T-r-T and then again at the end of T-r-T, usually from 6pm til 9pm and then its over here. It is a safety measure by the counsil so kids have a safe period for getting candy. The police patrol the streets as well during this time frame, very odd experience here.

What if some kids are deaf and can't hear the tornado sirens , I hope they're not arrested . That is strange way of doing. Growing up kids went out with friends and parents went out only with the small kids. Some people had kids go right into their house . One lady gave apple cider donuts and apple cider , I would not let a child do this today.

What if some kids are deaf and can't hear the tornado sirens , I hope they're not arrested . That is strange way of doing. Growing up kids went out with friends and parents went out only with the small kids. Some people had kids go right into their house . One lady gave apple cider donuts and apple cider , I would not let a child do this today.

Im sure their are visual clues.
and if people aren't answering the doors or shutting down the "haunted exhibits" Im sure they can figure out times up besides looking at a clock, watch or cell phone for 9pm.

Im sure their are visual clues.
and if people aren't answering the doors or shutting down the "haunted exhibits" Im sure they can figure out times up besides looking at a clock, watch or cell phone for 9pm.

I know that , I was just wondering how far does the cops go to enforcing the curfew.

I remember when I was a teenager, my friends and I would use Halloween night to egg people's houses. Oooops

New Hampshire has Halloween on Sunday and the kids can only go from
2-4 PM. That sound so boring . Half the fun was going out at night.

New Hampshire has Halloween on Sunday and the kids can only go from
2-4 PM. That sound so boring . Half the fun was going out at night.
Why would they change the date? The only time I've heard of places doing that was to avoid kids staying out late on school nights. But Halloween is on a Friday this year, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Back