Some cities ban teens from trick-or-treating

Why would they change the date? The only time I've heard of places doing that was to avoid kids staying out late on school nights. But Halloween is on a Friday this year, so that shouldn't be a problem.

That happen a lot out here , the date was change b/c it's on a Friday's night . People felt it would be safer to have it on a Sunday before it got dark out there would be less traffic out . I was surprise my city is allowing Halloween to be on Friday , it's over at 5:30 PM . Big deal! That really stinks for the older kids . I agree with you put the cities and towns had decides they know what is best for people kids . It's getting to be more of a nanny state in NH and Massauchettes all the time.

Last edited:
That happen a lot out here , the date was change b/c it's on a Friday's night . People felt it would be safer to have it on a Sunday before it got dark out there would be less traffic out . I was surprise my city is allowing Halloween to be on Friday , it's over at 5:30 PM . Big deal! That really stinks for the older kids . I agree with you put the cities and towns had decides they know what is best for people kids . It's getting to be more of a nanny state in NH and Massauchettes all the time.
Very weird.

Very weird.

:wave: I agree with you 110 %! I am really not sure how the city can enforce this , and I would love to know what happen to people that give out candy after 5:30 PM. Kids do not come to my condo. When I first moved here I went out and brought all kind of candy thinking there would a lot of kids coming to my condo. Not one kid showed up . My daughter found out at school the next day kids where not allowed to come here to tick or treat . I gave my daughter all the candy to bring to school. I was disappointed , I was looking forward to seeing all kids dressed up.

:( but on Sunday it wouldn't be Halloween anymore which means no scary movies to watch on TV when the kids are going through their candy after trick-or-treating...I feel soooo bad for kids in this generation

I think the ban is a great idea. Too many wack jobs not watching where they drive...and too many wack jobs among the residents. Years ago, it used to be fun but we always went as a group with our parents to people we knew. Today, it's a mini gang acting like they're entitled to a hand out for showing up dressed like a gang banger or no costume at all....no thanks. It's much safer to have a small party for children you know and invite the parents.

Laura

I think the ban is a great idea. Too many wack jobs not watching where they drive...and too many wack jobs among the residents. Years ago, it used to be fun but we always went as a group with our parents to people we knew. Today, it's a mini gang acting like they're entitled to a hand out for showing up dressed like a gang banger or no costume at all....no thanks. It's much safer to have a small party for children you know and invite the parents.

Laura

My parents never took me out for Halloween , I went out alone or with friend .

@ 90sWizKid , some parents have Halloween party for their kids on Halloween night , I agree it's not same going out on Sunday from 2-4 :00PM . Kids are missing out on the fun today.

Ours has been the last Friday in October for as long as I can remember. Currently there are 5 towns in this area that all have T or T from 6 pm to 8pm for those 12 and under that evening. Then there is a MAJOR Halloween themed parade on Saturday. We have have had the parade since the 1920's with a slight war time break (I would need to look it up to give the exact break). A kids parade used to be Friday afternoon but some years ago was moved to Saturday afternoon. The kids that win the different divisions can march in the big evening parade. It has been a number of years now that a Fall Festival type thing with vendors, a craft fair, etc. was added making it an all day celebration.

Since Centralia was started by the Illinois Central Railroad the town grew up on either side of the tracks with the main street crossing the the tracks. After having to have the parade wait for trains some years and one year there was trouble elsewhere on the line that led to a stalled train across that main crossing the parade was moved to one of the other streets that is also part of Route 51. The year that they had the stalled freight train after some wait the railroad broke the train to let the parade go through.

I am not sure if any other ADers ever came to town for this. I think that Mark grew up just far enough north of us that I doubt that they came. Although I would not be surprised if he has heard of it.

EDIT
Opps got the date formula wrong above. The parade is the last Saturday in October with T or T the day before (a Friday). So it varies from year to year.

Last edited:
Why would they change the date? The only time I've heard of places doing that was to avoid kids staying out late on school nights. But Halloween is on a Friday this year, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My town has Beggar's Night the night before Halloween. It doesn't matter what day of the week, it is just held the night before Halloween.

I understand it started in the 1930's on the theory little kids would be safe trick or treating not on the actual Halloween, which had a lot of teenage vandalism.

My town has Beggar's Night the night before Halloween. It doesn't matter what day of the week, it is just held the night before Halloween.

I understand it started in the 1930's on the theory little kids would be safe trick or treating not on the actual Halloween, which had a lot of teenage vandalism.

Yeah but I really think it's a bummer the older kids have to go out so early on a Sunday , I wonder if many teenagers will even bother to go so early
2-4PM . The stores downtown in my city are giving out from 4 -5 :00 PM
on Halloween then the kids can go out to houses till 5:30 PM . I think that stink too for the older kids. I am sure they'll find out trouble to get into the rest of the night. The schools should had a party for the older kids to keep them off the streets . It will be interesting to see how things go on Halloween here.

Ours has been the last Friday in October for as long as I can remember. Currently there are 5 towns in this area that all have T or T from 6 pm to 8pm for those 12 and under that evening. Then there is a MAJOR Halloween themed parade on Saturday. We have have had the parade since the 1920's with a slight war time break (I would need to look it up to give the exact break). A kids parade used to be Friday afternoon but some years ago was moved to Saturday afternoon. The kids that win the different divisions can march in the big evening parade. It has been a number of years now that a Fall Festival type thing with vendors, a craft fair, etc. was added making it an all day celebration.

Since Centralia was started by the Illinois Central Railroad the town grew up on either side of the tracks with the main street crossing the the tracks. After having to have the parade wait for trains some years and one year there was trouble elsewhere on the line that led to a stalled train across that main crossing the parade was moved to one of the other streets that is also part of Route 51. The year that they had the stalled freight train after some wait the railroad broke the train to let the parade go through.

I am not sure if any other ADers ever came to town for this. I think that Mark grew up just far enough north of us that I doubt that they came. Although I would not be surprised if he has heard of it.

EDIT
Opps got the date formula wrong above. The parade is the last Saturday in October with T or T the day before (a Friday). So it varies from year to year.

Wow. Been a long time since I heard about this. I used to go to Field School in Centralia, and back then it was a BIG thing, but I don't think I've ever seen it, though. Heard of it, yes, but seen it? Nope.

My daughter told that New Hampshire has difference days and hours for kids go out trick or treating. That has to be expensive buying candy for more than one night of Halloween. I really think people should wakeup, the government is slowly telling parents how to raise their kids , what will there be next?

Wow. Been a long time since I heard about this. I used to go to Field School in Centralia, and back then it was a BIG thing, but I don't think I've ever seen it, though. Heard of it, yes, but seen it? Nope.

Still IS a big thing. This was the 88th with the things that I listed that have been added to the parade.

Still IS a big thing. This was the 88th with the things that I listed that have been added to the parade.

Ah, so it's changed over the years. I first heard about it in 1987 or 1988, and this was just before I was transferred to my mainstream school district in the spring of 1990.

Back