Social Skills

so a small dose of antidepression may be in order, like citalopram, its good or similar but if anything try go for the newest kind, developments in this area of medicine has improved alot...and its easier to come of it... than what were around even as short as 5 years ago...

My therapist suggested some meds back in Feb when I was having the panic attacks after my daughter was taken away, I denied and I havent had them since March. I am afraid of becoming too dependent on meds.

My therapist suggested some meds back in Feb when I was having the panic attacks after my daughter was taken away, I denied and I havent had them since March. I am afraid of becoming too dependent on meds.

Sometimes meds are useful, sometimes they aren't necessary. Your panic attacks were situational too. They are time limited. That usually doesn't require meds. IMO.

I have become more and more introverted and anti-social in the last 2-3 years. I know in my case it is situational and there's not much I can do about it, except learn to deal with it and find things to help me snap out of it. I am currently going through a case of the "blah's" and "lemme alone already's", but I know I will get out of it.

Well I guess the people who knows me really well would be the ones to say, WTF is wrong with her? Because I'm acting really out of character right now...and it's really out of my control.

I totally can get why you will be more reserved. Maybe I'm reserved because of the shit that's happened in the last few months. I dunno. I just can't seem to bounce back from it.

Maybe we have a touch of clinical depression or something.

Maybe I have a touch of PFH's herpes.

I actually contacted another board member on their out of character behavior... in PM's of course - and it turned out for the best.

But the best thing you have going is that you are aware of it yourself. You'll bounce out of it okay.

We all been there, myself included.

What PFH said. I've had a lot of crap happen to me this year as well and I must say I just don't have it in me to be social or even WANT TO talk to people. Hell, sometimes, even talking on the PHONE is a struggle. Some days, I just don't want to... and... I don't.

As for what Shel said above about getting older, that may be it as well. I've never been the bubbly, extroverted type, anyway, so this tendency to isolate is innate in me. I do have to be careful of it, though; because I'm content to literally stay in the house for days or weeks at a time, which isn't good good for me, obviously.

Hang in there, DBG. Things will get better! :hug:

If you think you may have some depression starting, maybe a visit to your Dr is warranted?

Do you have the holidays blues? When you get older the holidays can put more stress on you. And it harder to made friends when you move around a lot. I know some people like to go to church to meet new people .
If you can try to go a party to be with people , so you will not feel so along.
The holidays can be tough sometime. I hope you'll feel like your bubbly self soon!

I think you have a social-hiatus. Try to attend deaf events as much as you can to get your social skills back to normal. It's NORMAL.

I have a new, weird problem.

My social skills are declining or something. I used to be VERY bubbly and outgoing...I easily made friends left and right. Lately, just going to DNO is draining me. I can barely muster a few words and I'm done with the conversation. It's almost like I'm becoming anti-social or something. Weird!

Has this happened to you? Maybe I moved too much - lol. After all, I was in four states in the last four years. Hmm.

I guess that you are think-hearing, right?

Guess I need to go buy a good party hat!

Hate to say it, but, that may be a good idea! I've been forced, yes, forced out when I haven't felt like it. It's some times necessary to get me to do something healthy for myself; as I tend to isolate myself. It's partly in my nature, but, also pathological. So, I've been instructed to get my behind out of the house at least a few times a week! I have to say it helps.

Hang in there. :hug:

Hate to say it, but, that may be a good idea! I've been forced, yes, forced out when I haven't felt like it. It's some times necessary to get me to do something healthy for myself; as I tend to isolate myself. It's partly in my nature, but, also pathological. So, I've been instructed to get my behind out of the house at least a few times a week! I have to say it helps.

Hang in there. :hug:

Yep. When you don't want to go out is exactly the time you need to go out.

Yep. When you don't want to go out is exactly the time you need to go out.

I know. I have to say it sucks, but, I have to admit it does work.

I also take back my suggestion for her to see the Dr. That may be jumping the gun. I tend to think in terms of combination therapy first. That's the medical geek in me coming out, but, I have to say I don't disagree with you disagreeing that meds may not be the thing for her. Thanks for the chance to rethink that knee jerk response! :wave:

I know. I have to say it sucks, but, I have to admit it does work.

I also take back my suggestion for her to see the Dr. That may be jumping the gun. I tend to think in terms of combination therapy first. That's the medical geek in me coming out, but, I have to say I don't disagree with you disagreeing that meds may not be the thing for her. Thanks for the chance to rethink that knee jerk response! :wave:

No problem!

I have the same thing going on and I just feel like hanging a sign on my bedroom door that reads "Leave Me The Fuck Alone!". Some days I literally just lay in bed all day. I don't get out like I used to. Mostly because I feel embarrassed and ashamed that I don't have a full time job anymore. I dread it when the question "what have you been up to?" comes up. I cringe knowing I will have to tell them I am unemployed and not eligible for unemployment benefits for 13 weeks because I was terminated, then I have to explain the whole situation why.

Most people around here don't consider substitute teaching a job, but I like it. My dad however wants me to go to work at Walmart for $7/hr that is literally across the street from the Tyson I worked at. It's a 30 minute drive. My mom wants me to work for my Aunt (which is her sister) but with the possibility of getting a job with USDA I would hate to start working for her only to have to quit to go to work for USDA. I don't want to burn family members like that. If it were a company, sure no problem, but this is family which is different.

My dad has been hounding me ever since the school got out for the winter holiday break. Everyday it is something of a fight. Today he asked me why I have been so reclusive to him and I flat out told him we've been fighting everyday since school let out and I'm sick of fighting, I just want to avoid the fights altogether. There have been times I would have to go hide in the bathroom to get away from him because he would just not stop hounding me. He didn't speak a word to me the rest of the day today - which is an improvement from the constant fighting.

There are days I just don't want to do anything, then I get to thinking about things too much and I end up crying to myself. I just feel like all the hard work I've done has been for nothing as now everything has been pulled out from under me and I have nothing. I am beginning to believe that if I just have nothing then there is nothing that can be taken away from me. But I still press on hoping for this job that could help me financially, and possibly academically. If I get on with USDA, plan to stay with USDA until I reach retirement age. I will be 30 in less than 5 years, I want a solid work history so people won't just be like oh she's unemployed again, oh well. I want to get out on my own be independent. Being unemployed is not conducive to that. I am running out of options and in this rural area there is nothing, no want or help needed ads in the classifieds and usually they are covered with those this time of year for holiday help.

However as much as I hate to, if I do not have anything by May, I will just suck it up, take out student loans and go to school full-time starting in the fall. My parents may not be pleased, but at least I will be working towards something productive.

I try to force myself to go out, but I never seem to go where I want to go. It's always some place that the family needs me to be. So, in essence, I am more and more stuck in the hearing work and not able to get into the deaf world right now. I am working on it, but maybe after the holidays it will get easier. My MIL saw today how much I need to associate with my deaf friends.

I try to force myself to go out, but I never seem to go where I want to go. It's always some place that the family needs me to be. So, in essence, I am more and more stuck in the hearing work and not able to get into the deaf world right now. I am working on it, but maybe after the holidays it will get easier. My MIL saw today how much I need to associate with my deaf friends.

Sounds like you need Kristina time.

Dixie, you got a full plate, girl. There's nothing wrong with getting a student loan if that's the last option. When you land a good job with a degree, you'll be able to pay it back.

Time for the "Me" time. Of course, I can't talk...I'm not good at doing "me" time myself. I need to learn, though. lol

Dixie, you got a full plate, girl. There's nothing wrong with getting a student loan if that's the last option. When you land a good job with a degree, you'll be able to pay it back.

Girlfriend, I will be paying back my student loans until the day I die!:lol: But it will be worth it. It was the only way I could get the education I wanted so that I could do the work that I love.

Back