Social Security disability insolvency?

btw - since it's a public record... do you have a link to it? I'd like to read quickly about it. I'm also curious to know how much he bilked out of it.

btw - since it's a public record... do you have a link to it? I'd like to read quickly about it. I'm also curious to know how much he bilked out of it.

I do not have a direct link - but ... I might be able to obtain copies and send them to you via PM? The County that the trial was in does not post stuff on the internet - you gotta pay for copies.

I can't do it tonight - give me some time.

I do not have a direct link - but ... I might be able to obtain copies and send them to you via PM? The County that the trial was in does not post stuff on the internet - you gotta pay for copies.

I can't do it tonight - give me some time.

oh??? it's not accessible online? drat... don't worry about obtaining copies.

Do you have any idea who loosen up housing market that leads to crash? It was Clinton after all. He loosen the lending requirement so that everyone can afford mortgage, a major mistake. And that is what cause Fannie Mae and Freddie MAC collapse, nothing Bush can do because it is on the book.

Now, ask yourself question whether it is rewarding getting safety net for not able to find job. Can you quit job and live just fine with safety net (Welfare, SSA, etc) that pays you just a drop in a bucket? Can you live by just 600 dollars a month? Call that reward? I can't live by with these safety net as they are NOT enough.

Yes, the housing market, fannie mae and freddie mac, stimulus spending spree, wall street.

What was the national debt when Bush left office? What is it now?

Wanted know why it is critical to apply for SSA in the beginning? Simple put, their rule requires 6 months waiting period and there won't be back pay for first 6 months. That 6 month pay back check has phased out about 5 years ago I think. So, if one wait to apply for SSD after exhaust all attempts to get new job then apply for SSA benefit they won't see check for next 6 months. Scary.

I've seen it all ....

And no - that person got SSDI on the first try. Totally true.

(it was SSDI not SSI).

In addition to that - that individual also got VR to pay for a year of college education - oh, at the time they were also receiving the severance package, unemployment, and SSDI.

Now of course, this was a scam. It isn't the only scam to have ever taken place - this happens far too often.

Wanted know why it is critical to apply for SSA in the beginning? Simple put, their rule requires 6 months waiting period and there won't be back pay for first 6 months. That 6 month pay back check has phased out about 5 years ago I think. So, if one wait to apply for SSD after exhaust all attempts to get new job then apply for SSA benefit they won't see check for next 6 months. Scary.

Yes that is correct. If you worked hard and get layed off or fired and cannot find a job within a month, what will you do? Many of you will go into the survival mode AFTER making the realization you have mounting debts and having a bad credit is a bad thing to have. After all you worked hard for what you have now. Who wouldnt want to give it up if you didnt have to?!

This is why many apply for SSA benefits first since it takes time. Then apply for unemployment in that order within the month you get let go. Working a part time job helps with money management and fighting depression of not working. When you file for unemployment, they STRESSED that if you go college, you DON'T need to keep records of job search as that is your job when unemployed. You just submit the college info.

When looking for jobs, many times you will see a skill you need to add to be able to get your foot in the door so college is the only choice. When you need an interpreter, you need to go to VR and ask for assistance.

Adding all these benefits up really amounts to $$$$ and makes it look like you are taking advantage of system, but just trying to fight to be able to work makes you take all this. You cant go to college without a place to stay , money for transportation, and food.

You know who you are-- when this happens to you, you will too go into a survival mode, no matter how much pride you have. Don't say you won't do it, but sooner or later its easy to get sucked into this vortex once you get laid off in this economy. OTOH , I agree some takes it too far though...:roll:.

Food stamps and unemployment. He also has a medical condition that he called 911 for (needlessly) and racked up a 6k bill he has no way of paying.

Indigestion resulted in an ambulance ride

If he is on SSDI, he has insurance to cover medical expenses, including ambulance services.:cool2:

Yes that is correct. If you worked hard and get layed off or fired and cannot find a job within a month, what will you do? Many of you will go into the survival mode AFTER making the realization you have mounting debts and having a bad credit is a bad thing to have. After all you worked hard for what you have now. Who wouldnt want to give it up if you didnt have to?!

This is why many apply for SSA benefits first since it takes time. Then apply for unemployment in that order within the month you get let go. Working a part time job helps with money management and fighting depression of not working. When you file for unemployment, they STRESSED that if you go college, you DON'T need to keep records of job search as that is your job when unemployed. You just submit the college info.

When looking for jobs, many times you will see a skill you need to add to be able to get your foot in the door so college is the only choice. When you need an interpreter, you need to go to VR and ask for assistance.

Adding all these benefits up really amounts to $$$$ and makes it look like you are taking advantage of system, but just trying to fight to be able to work makes you take all this. You cant go to college without a place to stay , money for transportation, and food.

You know who you are-- when this happens to you, you will too go into a survival mode, no matter how much pride you have. Don't say you won't do it, but sooner or later its easy to get sucked into this vortex once you get laid off in this economy. OTOH , I agree some takes it too far though...:roll:.

Right. These decisions are not made by the SSA quickly or without sufficient documentation.

I was one of the lucky ones getting approved for my SSDI. I applied, went to 3 medical appointments and within 3 months was approved. Two years later, I had follow up appointments and was found to have 2 of the conditions worsen and the 3rd had no change. I got a letter stating then that I qualified for life with no further re-testing.

I had a very good work record and I was able to prove my job search when I was not working. It pays to keep copies of all documents and everything. I kept copies of all my cover letters with my resume' and attached a copy of the newspaper listing for the job with the name and date of the paper. I was taught to do that in school. It stays in my folder that has my resume's. I keep a copy of each resume' from beginning to my last job search.

I have be getting SSDI for 2 1/2 years now and during the last 10 years, we only got food stamps for 6 months and that was when we first got to Florida and for our family of 4(my mother did not count in the family for their records) we got a whopping $164 a month. I spend $126 a week on groceries for us. It helped, but not much. I cancelled after 6 months since hubby found work. Could I use it now? Probably, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna try. Yes, too many people abuse the system, whether is food stamps or SSDI or welfare in general. I know in our area, there just are not very many jobs available and of the ones that are available, most people who are trying to get off welfare or food stamps don't qualify for the position.

I was one of the lucky ones getting approved for my SSDI. I applied, went to 3 medical appointments and within 3 months was approved. Two years later, I had follow up appointments and was found to have 2 of the conditions worsen and the 3rd had no change. I got a letter stating then that I qualified for life with no further re-testing.

I had a very good work record and I was able to prove my job search when I was not working. It pays to keep copies of all documents and everything. I kept copies of all my cover letters with my resume' and attached a copy of the newspaper listing for the job with the name and date of the paper. I was taught to do that in school. It stays in my folder that has my resume's. I keep a copy of each resume' from beginning to my last job search.

I have be getting SSDI for 2 1/2 years now and during the last 10 years, we only got food stamps for 6 months and that was when we first got to Florida and for our family of 4(my mother did not count in the family for their records) we got a whopping $164 a month. I spend $126 a week on groceries for us. It helped, but not much. I cancelled after 6 months since hubby found work. Could I use it now? Probably, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna try. Yes, too many people abuse the system, whether is food stamps or SSDI or welfare in general. I know in our area, there just are not very many jobs available and of the ones that are available, most people who are trying to get off welfare or food stamps don't qualify for the position.

It didn't have anything to do with luck. You simply had all of the documentation to support your claim. You actually have some disorders that, each one on their own, would serve for a claim. You happen to have a cluster. But even though you didn't have to go through an appeals process, you still had to have all of your documentation and medical records, etc. reviewed by SS before a determination was made. You had the documentation you needed. So you know that they don't make these decisions without sufficient evidence that an individual is actually permanently and totally disabled.

If he is on SSDI, he has insurance to cover medical expenses, including ambulance services.:cool2:

This person does not have a disability and qualifies for the GED program that the Army National Guard offers. If my understanding is correct, if he is enlisted, he gets medical insurance, dental, vision, and qualifies for the GI Bill once he completes his GED.

I think it is a good opportunity for him.

This person does not have a disability and qualifies for the GED program that the Army National Guard offers. If my understanding is correct, if he is enlisted, he gets medical insurance, dental, vision, and qualifies for the GI Bill once he completes his GED.

I think it is a good opportunity for him.

or.... he can be a federal/state employee instead

Back